CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-05-2011, 12:55 PM   #31
Troy Kenshin

Profile:
Re: competing for the cf games without doing crossfit?

and also if I'm trying to put on muscle i now i need to eat more. so this week I'm going to greece and i will eat more calories but if I'm not lifting(or only life 2-3 days in the next 8 or so days) can any of the added weight become muscle. or can my body super compensate for not training and still gain some muscle if a caloric surplus is present. if not i will try to eat as close to baseline as possible to avoid fat gain
Old 08-05-2011, 05:15 PM   #32
Preston Sprimont

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Kenshin View Post
and also if I'm trying to put on muscle i now i need to eat more. so this week I'm going to greece and i will eat more calories but if I'm not lifting(or only life 2-3 days in the next 8 or so days) can any of the added weight become muscle. or can my body super compensate for not training and still gain some muscle if a caloric surplus is present. if not i will try to eat as close to baseline as possible to avoid fat gain

What's your height/weight etc? In general, I would say don't worry about trying to cut calories during a week-long hiatus from lifting.
If you're trying to gain weight, eat. From my own experience and my very rudimentary understanding of nutrition for weightlifters, I would say that maintaining a caloric surplus, even for a week (or more) where you are not lifting, is a good idea for recovery and healthy weight gain.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:44 PM   #33
Troy Kenshin

Profile:

thats good news!
Old 08-09-2011, 09:15 PM   #34
Pär Larsson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Kenshin View Post
is it possible to be a contender in the cf games without actually following a randomized cf like program? and instead following a cyclic progressive overload program? reason being is that im training solely in o-lifts but im very interested in the games/ like programming my own workouts. if i were to keep training in o-lifts ( the box neara my college has open time in the morning when i train alone) plus some gymnastics work/ sprinting would that suffice to train for the games?
You'd be a fool and a half trying for the Games with a randomized program. Everyone but no-one comes to CF with baggage - i.e. things they're good at and not good at.

Add that CF Gaming is biased in favour of Gymnastics and Powerlifting/Oly-lifting and you have your work cut out fixing your weaknesses and maintaining your strengths.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:10 PM   #35
Nicholas Ranney

Profile:

Anne T. came in second last year and said she only did CF for 9 months. She trained in CF for a year and won it this year. Most top level CF'ers are already at high levels of fitness, a little skill work in the "special CF movements" and bam! they are contenders. I am just waiting for age group divisions for the games.