CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-26-2011, 10:12 AM   #111
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:
Re: Gslp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bullock View Post
I did for the first few weeks but haven't since. I'll try it again and see how it goes. How many times a week do you normally do it?

I didn't make it clear in my post but those are my 1RM jumps.

as far as how often to work on the challenges... you need to read the GLSP stuff. the FM can be used almost daily and you work up to the total amount.

as for the 1RM jumps, i think that was his point, should have been way more in 4 months if you were do the progressions weekly.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:46 AM   #112
Ryan R Johnson

Profile:

what i dont understand here, is.. if you are lifting heavy enough to do 2 sets of 5 reps, how could you possibly get 10 reps on the third set, without dropping the weight?!?!?!?!?!?!

No Comprendo
Old 12-01-2011, 05:09 AM   #113
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan R Johnson View Post
what i dont understand here, is.. if you are lifting heavy enough to do 2 sets of 5 reps, how could you possibly get 10 reps on the third set, without dropping the weight?!?!?!?!?!?!

No Comprendo
If its too heavy for you and you can't get out 5 in the 3rd set you reset 10%. Eg 200lbs -> 180lbs
At 180lbs you'd probably do a dozen if you're able to do 5 at 200.
Then in the weeks later 190 x say 10, 195 by 9, 200 x 7, 205 x 6, 210x 6 etc etc
Old 12-01-2011, 09:54 AM   #114
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

Quote:

No Comprendo
You have to start with a light enough weight. Over time, as you add weight, the progression on the last set will look like what Dave posted.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:49 PM   #115
Nick Hoffman

Profile:

You should be starting with a weight you can hit for 8-10 reps the last set.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:36 AM   #116
David Meverden

Profile:

Maybe he's just not clear that on the first two sets you do 5 reps and then stop, even though you could do more.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:19 PM   #117
Michael Burke

Profile:

Quote:

No Comprendo
I believe the expectation is that the last set of 10 will quickly drop to closer to 5 over workout sessions, and you only could expect to get near that again the next time you deload.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:26 PM   #118
Graeme Moore

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Burke View Post
I believe the expectation is that the last set of 10 will quickly drop to closer to 5 over workout sessions, and you only could expect to get near that again the next time you deload.
Yep. I switched to GS three weeks ago; first OHP workout I hit 11 AMRAP reps with good form, this morning I bust a nut hitting 7 and form on the last rep was heinous, I was ashamed.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #119
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:

Some of you guys might just be fatigued the first couple weeks. Benching twice/pressing once, or vice versa, might be tough until you get used to it. And like others said, start light. Strength is a marathon, not a drag race.

Pro-tip: On the overhead press make sure you rest at the top of the rep and not the bottom. Utilizing the stretch reflex at the bottom of the rep will get you another rep or two.

Ryan
Old 12-08-2011, 02:53 AM   #120
Graeme Moore

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Hoegner View Post
Pro-tip: On the overhead press make sure you rest at the top of the rep and not the bottom. Utilizing the stretch reflex at the bottom of the rep will get you another rep or two.
Cheers!