CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-07-2011, 12:34 AM   #51
David Baxter

Profile:
Re: Elite crossfit athlete development theory

so this question from the OP has raised a question from me -- I had 24/7 to train(I'm retired) and want to get to the games in 2012 - what would be the best approach ? Strength x 2 days , Metcons x 3 days and rest x 2 days ? , follow the mainsite religiously - do what comes up at my box ? or box ++++ ?

my numbers are as follows - 172 Cm tall (5 ft 7) 88Kg @ 43 years old
dead lift @ 1RM 145KG
back squat @ 2 RM 110KG
front squat @ 5rm 80kg
Fran @ 6.15
The 7's @ 22 min

I have access to both a oly lifting 1-1coach and a gymnastics teacher

what would the Xfit crowd be doing - ???

cheers in advance
Old 07-07-2011, 01:06 AM   #52
Pearse Shields

Profile:

I would come up with a periodized programme. Focus training into blocks, each taking a couple of months. Work on a basic strength programme, followed by a power cycle, then add in metcon and endurance stuff.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:34 AM   #53
David Baxter

Profile:

sweet thanks mate - I have a cunning plan
Old 07-07-2011, 10:58 AM   #54
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

Every year there's this talk about some idealized and simplified version of CrossFit that touts some form of segmented training as superior to randomness. It's such a common thread that I think Glassman's minions are aware of these arguments and deliberately seek to squash otherwise supreme athletes who train in a box (metaphorically) at The Games Finale. Or they just do it for the lulz.

Rob O. and Spealler have both said on film that they don't follow a program other then ramping up the volume in prep for competition. They don't represent everyone of course, but I think it goes to show that you can make some damned fine athletes without having The Ultimate Program.

Too many people pigeonhole the concept of a WOD into short and heavy, long and light. I don't think these folks have been paying attention, or simply lack imagination. Does Squat Grace at 225# build strength? Does Cindy with a 50# Vest only test endurance? If whatever you have not done is your weakness, the infinite space of a WOD is where one can be exposed and thus shielded from the unknown in competition. 1RMs and monostructural events have their place, but I see so much of this splitting hairs over this program vs. that., MainSite = Inadequate as a projection of unwillingness to think outside the box or an attempt to belittle pseudo-randomization out of almost religious belligerence towards the CrossFit concept in general.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #55
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Re: Elite CrossFit athlete development theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Baxter View Post
I had 24/7 to train(I'm retired) and want to get to the games in 2012 - what would be the best approach ?
Do all 6 Open WODs with strict judging.

Compare your results to the top 20 masters athletes in your age group.

Determine your weaknesses.

Design program to strengthen weakness as fast as recovery will allow while maintaining other areas.

Repeat.

Oh and expect next year's Masters to be better then this years Masters so I would over shoot by 5 to 10 %.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:04 PM   #56
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio Leal View Post
Rob O. and Spealler have both said on film that they don't follow a program other then ramping up the volume in prep for competition. They don't represent everyone of course, but I think it goes to show that you can make some damned fine athletes without having The Ultimate Program.

Didn't Spealler say on film that he does 5/3/1?
Also, doesn't Chris Mason do programming for him?
Old 07-07-2011, 12:13 PM   #57
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
He does/did 531 Back Squat only. Don't know the full details of Mason's program for him, but at the end of the day Spealler himself calls it Weakness Training. Absolute strength is his relative goat, so that's what he supplements. His own words from one of the recent coaches prep course videos (paraphrased): "If the average CFer looked at my own log, they would say Chris Spealler does a strength bias program." He then goes on to refute that and emphasize that only weakness training should be universal.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:50 PM   #58
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio Leal View Post
He does/did 531 Back Squat only. Don't know the full details of Mason's program for him, but at the end of the day Spealler himself calls it Weakness Training. Absolute strength is his relative goat, so that's what he supplements. His own words from one of the recent coaches prep course videos (paraphrased): "If the average CFer looked at my own log, they would say Chris Spealler does a strength bias program." He then goes on to refute that and emphasize that only weakness training should be universal.
Sounds like splitting hairs to me. Strength-biased programming works his weakness. Someone else might need to do more gymnastics skill work, or more intervals, or whatever. The nature of cf.com programming (or any generalized program) is that it won't (and can't) provide the specific emphasis that an advanced competitor (like anyone with a realistic shot at the Games) is likely to need.

Katherine
Old 07-07-2011, 01:07 PM   #59
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
He might have done 5/3/1 for a while, but with Chris I'm pretty sure he had him do a Westside/Conjugate strength program with pretty good results. I'm not sure I'd call Spealler weak in regards to absolute strength, for his bodyweight he seems pretty damn strong to me.

Would it be worth it for him to put on 20pounds for a bigger squat? What would the cost be to his phenomenal bodyweight workouts, low weight metcons and endurance work?
Old 07-07-2011, 01:19 PM   #60
Struan Potter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
He might have done 5/3/1 for a while, but with Chris I'm pretty sure he had him do a Westside/Conjugate strength program with pretty good results. I'm not sure I'd call Spealler weak in regards to absolute strength, for his bodyweight he seems pretty damn strong to me.

Would it be worth it for him to put on 20pounds for a bigger squat? What would the cost be to his phenomenal bodyweight workouts, low weight metcons and endurance work?
They touched on this at Tahoe, I think Tommy Hackenbruck said why would Speal want to do 38 rounds of Cindy right now when he can beat everyone with 34. I think its the Ideal bodyweight article http://journal.crossfit.com/2010/12/...bodyweight.tpl