CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 06-12-2011, 06:29 PM   #11
Shane Skowron

Profile:
Re: 2011 Stanley Cup Final

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Menikheim View Post
I gotta say in all my years of watching hockey this has to be ones of the most boring finals ever. It may be because I could care less about either team, but it really has lacked anything worth mentioning.

I have never thought highly of Luongo. I think the guy tends to choke pretty hard when the pressure is one, so we'll see how many more softies he lets in. Another thing is what is with all the diving by D. Sedin! Is this soccer or hockey.

I have been kind of rooting for Vancouver only because I like Ryan Kesler.

Gotta agree with Shane that was the highlight of the series.
Really? You've got two teams who haven't won a cup in nearly four decades, from two different countries, thousands of miles apart. Both in cities that love hockey (can't say the same about places like Dallas or Tampa). The two best goaltenders in hockey. Unusual scoring results (blow-outs by Boston, yet more narrow defeats by Vancouver). And some controversial plays.

I'm excited, but I guess that's just because I'm a Boston fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Smith View Post
What do you guys think about "The Hit?" (WFS) except for one word in a comment.

I think Rome's 4 game suspension was excessive for a late hit.
Fair, especially considering Burrows didn't get anything for biting a guy.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:34 AM   #12
Matthew Vesey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Smith View Post
What do you guys think about "The Hit?" (WFS) except for one word in a comment.

I think Rome's 4 game suspension was excessive for a late hit.
Definately Excessive. There has always been a grey area of what was "Too late" for a hit. I have seen countless examples in every game -not just Stanley Cup Finals, that there are hits coming 3-5 seconds after the puck is released that are uncalled. The hit was marginally late (just shy of 2 seconds), it was a solid check and not the least bit dirty. It was unfortunate what happened to Horton since he is the backbone of the Bruins (Tim Thomas aside). However, from a young age hockey players are taught not to follow their passes or bad things happen (case in point). I personally would have given him a 5 and a game and left it at that. I am not in a senior position in the NHL but I truly see that they are ruining the game day by day by creating cry babies that can't be touched without brawls commencing. I miss the old days of hard hits and pay back hits. Each year the NHL becomes more and more like Soccer. It is now a circus act with diving all over the place (Do not mistake these words by saying Hortons was a dive, it WASN'T!). What the NHL should be doing is handing out multi-game suspensions for Unsportsmanlike conduct. Kids watch the NHL and then learn the tricks and the vicious circle of life will continue until the NHL lacks any credibility.

Just and opinion from a former Hockey Player/Sens Fan.
Age:24, Height: 5'10, Weight: 180, 5km Row: 17:15.3, 500m Row:1:23.6, BS: 440, DL:540, Press: 205:My Log(WFS)
Old 06-13-2011, 12:04 PM   #13
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Vesey View Post
Kids watch the NHL and then learn the tricks and the vicious circle of life will continue until the NHL lacks any credibility.
I kind of have to disagree with this point (but agree with much of the rest of your post). Kids are taught well under the USA Hockey rules that what happens in the show doesn't happen at their level. That type of late hit with his feet leaving the ice would never fly in youth hockey (juniors is a different anamial) and should highly be questioned even at this level. The pass had been completed already, and someone else was in possession of the puck. Say it didn't knock him out, but still did knock him over (without a dive), it's a penalty either way for interference.

I understand the League wanting to make the game safer like the NFL is trying to do but I agree that the culture of the game needs to be preserved some as well.

(I know that I'm from Texas but I have called lines for the CHL and the now defunct WPHL as well as some preseason work in the old I.)

Last edited by Andrew Bell : 06-13-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:22 PM   #14
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
I kind of have to disagree with this point (but agree with much of the rest of it). Kids are taught well under the USA Hockey rules that what happens in the show doesn't happen at their level. That type of late hit with his feet leaving the ice would never fly in youth hockey (juniors is a different anamial) and should highly be questioned even at this level. The pass had been comple
Totally agree. I've gotten majors and even suspensions for stuff that probably might not get a 2 minute penalty in the NHL. Not saying I didn't deserve them but they certainly don't tolerate the same level of aggression they do at the pro level.

At the youth hockey level, the bigger issue is the parents. I've had several games where parents have been ejected.

Last edited by Shane Skowron : 06-13-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #15
Douglas Menikheim

Profile:

Sorry Shane just don't think its that exciting of a final hahaha. Probably has to do with me not being a big fan of either team or the players on either team. There def has been some odd scoring in the series I'll admit that.

And in my days of playing youth hockey there were definitely more parents ejected from games by state police than players haha
Old 06-13-2011, 10:44 PM   #16
Milton Brisson

Profile:

The suspension for the hit was excessive, if for no other reason than the NHL has no real benchmark for it. If Horton gets up with no issue, it changes the way the NHL reacts...not the intent of the hit.

Now its all down to one game! If I am a Bruin's fan, I'm wishing they would give the Cup to us based on aggregate!

It has been a bit of a roller coaster series!
Old 06-14-2011, 07:04 AM   #17
John A. Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Brisson View Post
It has been a bit of a roller coaster series!
Boston has outscored Vancouver 19-8, if my math is correct.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:43 AM   #18
Chris Hede

Profile:

Cue the duckboats!
Old 06-16-2011, 08:56 AM   #19
Chris Walls

Profile:

And it's finally over! Bring on the Roughriders please.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #20
Jason Scheffler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post
And it's finally over! Bring on the Roughriders please.
Bah, Roughriders. Eskies!!!!