CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-28-2011, 10:04 AM   #11
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:
Re: Supplementing Strength Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Nack View Post
Hi guys,

M 5:30pm - 1 strength move and metcon (This week was Squat Clean)

T 5pm - skill practice and metcon

W 5:30pm - 1 stength move and metcon (Today's is Front Squat)

Th 5pm - skill practice and metcon

F 5:30pm - 1 strength move and metcon (lately I've been forgoeing the metcon on Friday's because I usually do the open WODs on Saturday, last week's strength was Split Jerk)

I wouldn't call throwing in randon "strength moves" a program.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #12
Ryan Nack

Profile:

Well let's be clear here, I'm not doing my own programming and the guy who is doing it I would like to think knows a lot more than I do and isn't just throwing random strength moves in on the days that I'm doing them. I was just stating what I had done for the last three strength moves I did. I don't know what I do until the day I do it so that is why I can't list out what my next few weeks would look like or what a normal schedule for me would look like other than to say "strength lift/move/whatever". I wouldn't say he's programming for pure strength, I think it's more of a balance, so I was just curious what I could add to what he's programming to help add some strength. I never said anything about random strength moves.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:41 PM   #13
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Yes, you'll get stronger (to a point) doing three lifts a week like your last week had, but not as strong as if you did a program that put you on a regular progression on the lifts you care about getting stronger at. For instance, what if it's 3 weeks until you split jerk again? Your gains aren't going to be consistent there. What if you deadlift next week but not again for the next 2 weeks after that? Your deadlift won't increase at a regular rate.

Keep in mind gym programming has to be done for general population--aside from the fact that everyone has somewhat different goals, it's not going to be optimally effective for strength development because everyone doesn't show up on the same days. I could write an amazingly good progression for strength work at my affiliate, but it won't work perfectly because some people some in MWF, some come in MTThF, etc.

Look at something like the 70s Big program or the Greyskull LP to see how you can work things if you have a regular weekly schedule.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:20 PM   #14
Ryan Nack

Profile:

Good point. I'll talk to the dude who programs my shiat and see what we can work out. I'm sure he wouldn't have a problem with me doing something a little different than the rest of the class on some days.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:32 PM   #15
Travis Rask

Profile:

Why not do Starting Strength for 3 months (or longer)? It's worth it.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:30 PM   #16
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Rask View Post
Why not do Starting Strength for 3 months (or longer)? It's worth it.
Not if he wants to do conditioning as well as getting stronger. CFFB (or something similar) will allow him to do both.