CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-21-2011, 01:17 PM   #1
Jordan Derksen

Profile:
PM vs Mikesgym vs Pendlay

So I've been hitting the conj. system as written by Mason and it's going well. I won't lie... I'm bored. I miss my Olympic lifting. Plus I feel like my body responded well to it when I used to do it. As an aside, I will definitely thank Mason for taking the time to write it. We're lucky to have experts in so many fields helping us out. I'm honestly just not that interested in powerlifting.

I searched through the forums and found some good stuff and I was surprised to see that Burgener and Pendlay used to post on these forums. Anywho, I have quite a bit of experience with the lifts and was looking to jump on a program. In my searching I didn't find any previous posts about who found which program worked best. I know this chalks up entirely to personal preference as all 3 of these guys are excellent coaches but I was just wanting to get input on who has tried any of these types of programs and which ones you found was superior. Mikes Gym and Performance Menu are well known around here and they both look like they have excellent programming. I also found an old post by Pendlay where he outlined his general programming back in 2008. There would be more fluidity with Pendlays program since it's not posted every day as a WOD so I would tailor that one to meet my needs more which may be nice since I know my weaknesses/strengths. I would probably modify the program a bit and include some short metcons two days a week. Or I may do the program straight and just have some double days. I've done it before with a program local coaches gave me and it worked really well.

So... input away.
If Ralston Baker is around I'd love his input as I follow his blog sometimes and know he has good experience with O-lifting and crossfit. Not sure how often he checks the forums though...
Old 04-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
Marcus Allen

Profile:
Re: PM vs Mikesgym vs Pendlay

Jordan- I 've had good luck with PM. Also now all Gregg's programs are archived so you can pick which routine you want and its all there.

Last I checked he had about 6 programs archived from a 4 week PR program to some of the original 16 week programs.

Its all good stuff.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:01 PM   #3
Chris Mason

Profile:

You're welcome.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

I'm a little surprised you got bored with the Conjugate Program. Was it mainly the lack of Oly lifts?

The reason I ask, is the Conjugate Style/Modification I use, we rotate in a ton of different exercises which I enjoy doing almost week after week.

I wonder if you ever come back to a Conjugate style program if you'd be able to cycle in the Oly lifts to appeal to your enjoyment of it.

I wonder if you could use some of the Oly lifts as assistance work or in metcons. Another choice would be to incorporate them in the Max Effort Cycles. Your max effort doesn't have to be geared for powerlifting, it could be geared to Olympic lifting--maybe one Max Effort devoted more to cleaning/squatting movements and one Max Effort day devoted to pressing--jerking/push presses).

Either way let us know which way you go for your Olympic Programming.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:31 PM   #5
Damon Stewart

Profile:

Burg has coached athletes to the Olympics and Pendlay's going to. That's where I'd put my money.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:06 PM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

There's quite a bit of information about Pendlay's programming at his forum, and the man himself and some of the athletes he coaches post there regularly.

http://www.pendlayforum.com (May not be WFS. Occasional language, written and in videos.)

Katherine
Old 04-22-2011, 03:25 PM   #7
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

Thanks for the replies.

I checked out a few of the prewritten programs at PM and some of them are good. Burg's success in the industry makes me want to go that route. Plus as I dug around I find I like his programming a lot. It seems simpler than PM, plus every Saturday they hit maxes which is awesome and since the volume seems much less it'll be easier to handle I think. It also helps I know Everett has successfully used his stuff alongside a little crossfit here an there. I'm not exactly trying to get to the Olympics so modifying it wouldn't bother me, I've just found over the course of trying different things my body seems to respond best to the fast lifts. I'll also check out pendlay's site, thanks Katherine.

Robert, I'm not entirely sure why I got bored. I honestly don't know why, but the slow lifts just kinda bore me after a bit. It's nice to hit a cycle here an there to change things up but there's something about the fast lifts that I just don't get bored of. I actually switched out a metcon day for an Oly day on friday and I was doing the lifts in a dynamic % fashion. But one day isn't really enough for me. The whole idea westside uses with the different laws has taught me a lot, and applying it has taught me more. From how I see it though some Oly programs already use good max effort training. For Burg he maxes every saturday and uses truncated and power forms of the whole lifts in percentage waves. I've considered applying the conjugate system directly since there's so many forms of the two lifts you can do you could literally max out on different stuff almost all year. But I'm going to give a program a shot and as long as it works why fix it? But yes, if Louie had adapted westside methods straight for Oly lifting, which I've heard they were originally adapted from, instead of modifying it for power lifting I would probably be doing that. I unfortunately can't speak russian so I can't go translate it myself.

I still have 1 week left in my current conjugate cycle so I'll be finishing it out and starting whatever I decide after.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #8
Alex McRobie

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Derksen View Post
I still have 1 week left in my current conjugate cycle so I'll be finishing it out and starting whatever I decide after.
What improvements did you make during your conjugate cycle?
Old 04-25-2011, 04:17 PM   #9
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

So far... none. The first week it felt real good to hit some maxes I hadn't hit in a while. I PRed my back squat at 345 and my press at 170. The second week I hit those again. Tried for 350 and 175 but failed. This week tried 355 an failed it. Press hasn't gone up either. The new PR's at the beginning of the program were obviously from previous training since I hadn't maxed them in a while. The program would work really well if you knew your weaknesses and could hit them with assistance stuff properly. I may have seen good success if I had done box squatting or something different but my squats been stuck for so long I really wanted to get it moving.

I'm going to finish out this week and do my ME press on wednesday as per normal. Thank goodness the Open is done now.

I looked around a bunch and after some digging settled on mikes gym. So I'll be jumping on his site next monday and following the site exactly. He answers emails really fast and I like how his programming looks. He also builds his program so that it can be a standalone olympic program or you can add extra work to it since the volume is kept lower. I want to keep hitting my gymnastics warmups as I've seen really good success with that and I'll probably keep hitting two or three crossfit workouts throughout the week as it ends up being good conditioning and if done right can be excellent as assistance work. I plan to hit it all summer like that and if it goes well I'll just keep doing it. I love me some fast lifts. I may repost on here after a few months to comment on progress in case anyone else is interested.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:19 PM   #10
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

I also checked out bakers log. He's back at it. Looks like he's doing a cycle straight off PM. It's the classic / position cycle. You can follow his log if your interested in his progress as well.