CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 04-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #11
Greg Mulligan

Profile:
Re: 400m Walking Lunge WOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sinal View Post
Any idea why we keep track of the number of steps?
I think the goal is to do the 400 meters in the least amount of steps, in the least amount of time. If you do a ton of steps for a good time, chances are you didn't stretch out the lunge as much as you could/should.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:13 PM   #12
Benjamin Nichols

Profile:

I remember doing this WOD the last time it came up. I hit a little over 400m in around 7 minutes. Stupid. My legs were definitely wrecked for a couple of days--as I am a sucker for full ROM--and my semi-in-shape brother couldn't do anything for days. So, yeah - I agree with Eric; this WOD is just another example of poor Crossfit programming.

Sure, if you've been incorporating lunges in a lot of WODs and using them during warm-up/conditioning, then I could see the function. Reviewing the past month's worth of workouts reveals just how arbitrary and random this WOD was chosen, however.

Hell, a lot of people might disagree with me, but I believe anything that disrupts your training for a couple of days, because of muscle soreness, is nonsense and worthless. That is, unless your goals are to not train optimally and instead just cause yourself pain.

Last edited by Benjamin Nichols : 04-14-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:22 PM   #13
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Yeah, anytime a workout is programmed by the logic of "let's take something we never do, then do 400+ of them as fast as possible" you're better off ignoring that workout in favor of something smarter.

GHD situps are a great example of this--someone who does three sets of 15-20 every day as part of their warmup can handle a workout that calls for 100 of them, but the person who only does GHDs when CF.com says to is going to be in some serious trouble after a workout with any significant volume of them.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:28 PM   #14
Benjamin Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Yeah, anytime a workout is programmed by the logic of "let's take something we never do, then do 400+ of them as fast as possible" you're better off ignoring that workout in favor of something smarter.

GHD situps are a great example of this--someone who does three sets of 15-20 every day as part of their warmup can handle a workout that calls for 100 of them, but the person who only does GHDs when CF.com says to is going to be in some serious trouble after a workout with any significant volume of them.
Hahaha so true. As far as GHD's go, is there some magical DOMS associated with them? Anytime I've used them, either in a WOD or warm-up, they've seemed quite easy. Is it just the lack of abdominal strength individuals new to working out have that does them in whenever they do a WOD with a high volume of GHD sit-ups? I'd think that for an average crossfitter the machine wouldn't cause too much damage, even if they don't incorporate it regularly. You're "core" should be conditioned by all those lifts and gymnastics basics, right?
Old 04-14-2011, 07:45 PM   #15
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Sure, if by "magical DOMS" you mean rhabdo. Since GHDs stress the abs over a ROM they're not used to, while under a fairly heavy load, large numbers of them tend to be pretty destructive even for people who think they have strong abs.

My abs are fairly strong, but if I haven't been doing many GHDs lately all it takes is about 40-50 for me to be seriously hurting the next day.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:08 AM   #16
Keith Walker

Profile:

HEY man! They actually help with a lot of things.....think muscular endurance, strength, and of course the mental aspect. CF doesn't just throw things in at random. There is a mtho to the madness. If something doesn't make sense, then do it anyway!
There is additional benefit, as you noted, flexibility. Along with yes, quad and glute strength....all of which make you a stronger athlete. Whether it be wall balls or squats.........
Old 04-17-2011, 10:03 AM   #17
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Walker View Post
CF doesn't just throw things in at random. There is a mtho to the madness. If something doesn't make sense, then do it anyway!
Along with yes, quad and glute strength...
Ok, then what's the method to the madness in CF.com's programming? There has never been a discernible or logical pattern or progression to CF.com workouts...if you want to say that prepares you for the unknown and unknowable that's one thing, but to say that it's a match for an intelligently periodized and progressing program would be very false.

"If something doesn't make sense, then do it anyway". ?!?!?!?! I hope you're kidding there and that you're a little more capable of thinking for yourself. Sorry, but I prefer to know why something is programmed, what it's supposed to accomplish, and where it fits into the bigger picture. If it's just a way to get sweaty and sore, it's not a useful workout.

400+ of anything are not going to help you at all in terms of strength. Endurance, maybe, but as was noted earlier any benefits of a workout like this pretty much go out the window when you weigh them against the fact that you're too sore to do anything for the next four days.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:00 PM   #18
Greg Mulligan

Profile:

I agree. Here I am, days later, still sore. Yesterday, my knees where giving out when I was walking. I believe that lunges are a great movement, but it confuses me that CF would only ask them of us once in a quarter.

400m was a little lengthy. Next time it shows up, I will either ignore it, or just do a 100m.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:16 PM   #19
David Meverden

Profile:

I mostly agree with Eric. Lunges can be a good exercise, but so many of them at a time so infrequently does not hold enough benefit to overcome the potentially crippling soreness. I say skip this one unless you just want a mental challenge or want to test your lactic acid pain threshold.

BTW: if you could do 400m of walking lunges without much soreness would this be a more useful workout? Can any CFer do 400m walking lunges without much soreness?
Old 04-17-2011, 06:44 PM   #20
Sheldon Hull

Profile:

I honestly don't follow the extreme soreness. I'm sore, sure, but not too sore to workout. I'm probably more out of shape than any of you, having done crossfit for a 1-1.5 months, and a nominal globo workout for only 2 months before crossfit (just basic machines, nothing intense).

I found this incredibly challenging, didn't keep my hands behind me at the end, as I was at my limit, so scaled with balance and helping with my hands just a bit. I dreaded lunges before, and now after doing 270+ for 18 mins straight.... well, I won't dread normal lunges during my WOD anymore, that's for sure!

I'm wondering if you guys that are really really sore might need some supplements like fish oil or something. Just a thought. I don't think it should really make you miserably sore/crippling sore. A normal DOMS of a tender bum is to be expected, but a full out crippling soreness just doesn't sound right

Just 3 months ago 40 put me into headache and misery sphere, gasping for breath, so I'm pretty stoked I did almost 300 in 18 mins, even if it slow compared to others. Go Xfit!