CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-17-2011, 08:42 AM   #11
Meghan Reid

Profile:
Re: Combining CrossFit with P90X, and Insanity

Abs are made in the kitchen.

Adding extra cardio on top of an already strenuous workout plan is asking for it. "It" being excess cortisol which will inevitably lead to adding belly fat or holding on for dear life to what you've got now.

Something to consider - gaining muscle at your current weight will result in a lower percentage of body fat. Strength/muscle building does take some excess calories.

I'm not knocking your goal of having abs, a goal is a goal, but I think you're going about it the wrong way.

I know you're Paleo, can you shoot out what you eat in a day? I'm SURE there are tweaks that can be made.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:52 AM   #12
Brian Flynn

Profile:

Paulo, you're in week 2 of P90X, stick with that program for 12 weeks, then when you are finished, do Crossfit for 4-8 weeks, then do Insanity. Stick with the programs as they are laid out. If it's going great, why are you looking to change it?

75% of working out is diet. Follow the P90X diet as it's outlined and see how it goes.

Then when your ready to get to work, go get some kettlebells.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:55 AM   #13
George Marrtinez

Profile:

Deadlift heavy, and restrict calories. At your weight, and height you'll never see abs unless you're packed with muscle mass, which seems unlikely doing all those programs. Volume, and intensity is key. I swear for some of you guys who work out 9 hours a day, get a physical job. **********. Or join the Army or Marine Corps.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:58 AM   #14
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Reid View Post
Abs are made in the kitchen.

Adding extra cardio on top of an already strenuous workout plan is asking for it. "It" being excess cortisol which will inevitably lead to adding belly fat or holding on for dear life to what you've got now.

Something to consider - gaining muscle at your current weight will result in a lower percentage of body fat. Strength/muscle building does take some excess calories.

I'm not knocking your goal of having abs, a goal is a goal, but I think you're going about it the wrong way.

I know you're Paleo, can you shoot out what you eat in a day? I'm SURE there are tweaks that can be made.
Breakfast:
Omelet: 1 egg and egg whites with veggies. Baked in the oven.

Morning and afternoon snack:
1 Smoothie:
8 oz of almond milk
1 scoop of protein
1 piece of fruit
Sometimes I add 1 tbsp of almond butter and cinnamon.

Lunch:
Chicken, salmon, or steak salad with olive oil and vinegar or
Chicken or steak stir fry.

Dinner: same as lunch.

I usually try to have a ratio of 40/30/30. I have 3-4 pieces of fruit a day. I wonder if that is too much.

And trust me, I don't dog the WODs. I have everything logged at hammersowncrossfit.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:28 AM   #15
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:

If one can Pose in Zigtechs, one can do anything.

Justin
Old 03-17-2011, 09:46 AM   #16
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blankenship View Post
Why? More than half of this board is worried about how they look naked or how many abs they can see. Its the same thing as the OP.
Doug, I know tons of people here want to look good naked, myself included (LOL), and there is nothing wrong with that, but you missed my point: He said he "needs to do more cardio AND Ab Workouts" in order to look better naked. Neither of those two additions are what's usually prescribed around these boards to get you leaner.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:54 AM   #17
Michael Dowling

Profile:

i was just happy to get rid of my man-boobs...
Old 03-17-2011, 10:01 AM   #18
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

I think you need to eat a lot more. Especially if you're planning on that much training.

Katherine
Old 03-17-2011, 10:04 AM   #19
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
Doug, I know tons of people here want to look good naked, myself included (LOL), and there is nothing wrong with that, but you missed my point: He said he "needs to do more cardio AND Ab Workouts" in order to look better naked. Neither of those two additions are what's usually prescribed around these boards to get you leaner.
Since I did CrossFit for a year and have been eating well for nearly 8 months, I'm trying the P90X which has cardio that is 60 minutes long and I do more AB routines per week. I know that CrossFit has a lot of core workouts that should be enough to get a ripped stomach, but it hasn't worked for me. That's why I'm trying P90X. Maybe doing something different will work for me. If that doesn't work, then I'll try Insanity and see if that works. I'm just trying different things since CrossFit wasn't enough for me. When I get home I'll post a picture of day 1 of P90X.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:06 AM   #20
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
I think you need to eat a lot more. Especially if you're planning on that much training.

Katherine
My wife says I need to get a part time job if I plan on eating more per day. LOL.