CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-29-2011, 05:28 AM   #91
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Re: Combining CrossFit with P90X, and Insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orr View Post
I looked at your plan and that is a LOT of work. I wouldn't do cardio on strength days. I wouldn't do cardio after a wod. I might do cardio intervals as part of a wod, but not in addition to. It was mentioned earlier if you need to go for a run after a wod, your intensity needs to be kicked up.

Problem with this much work is your cortisol levels have to be through the roof. Not a good thing for building lean mass! I don't mention it much on these boards but I competed as a bodybuilder for over 20 years. Training 3 bodyparts a day is old school and somewhat effective if you are getting "chemical assistance". For a natural guy it was rarely effective.

Training is the stimulus for growth, but growth occurs during the peiods in between workouts. Right nutrition, enough water and enough rest are key to getting the results you are looking for.
It definitely is a lot of work. I have one more day tomorrow and I'll re-tweek it some more. I just wanted to try it for a week and see how I feel. I'm trying to keep it under an hour. When I do cardio, it is very light cardio.

And the link I posted above is Work and Family Safe.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:54 AM   #92
Edward Gemmer

Profile:

I'm not sure the combination you mentioned makes a ton of sense. The chest/back routine of P90x is basically an extended WOD here, with the main difference being P90 has more sets over a long time rather than being short and as intense. If you are going to incorporate P90x into Crossfit I would think the most sensical thing would be to do the Yoga or Core workouts on rest days, as Crossfit doesn't really have anything like them. I guess it would make sense to do the plyo instead of a WOD you didn't really like or have the equipment for.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:03 AM   #93
Paulo Santos

Profile:

I've ditched the idea and am on my second week of the 70's big program. If a moderator/staff wants go lock this thread, they can.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:43 PM   #94
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
I've ditched the idea and am on my second week of the 70's big program. If a moderator/staff wants go lock this thread, they can.
.....and? How's it going?
Old 04-28-2011, 06:15 PM   #95
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
.....and? How's it going?
Going great. I am actually looking forward to it every morning. Best program I have done to date.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #96
James Bevill

Profile:

I just joined this message board so I am not going to act like I am a CF vet, I will actually be attending a CF for the next two weeks (thanx 2 groupon). But, I have completed Insanity and I have trained in CF style workouts. Both are great workouts. Its all about balance when trying to reach fitness & aesthetic goals. So adding some Insanity to your program wouldn't hurt, it just might help you get that 6pack, but diet is key.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:15 AM   #97
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bevill View Post
I just joined this message board so I am not going to act like I am a CF vet, I will actually be attending a CF for the next two weeks (thanx 2 groupon). But, I have completed Insanity and I have trained in CF style workouts. Both are great workouts. Its all about balance when trying to reach fitness & aesthetic goals. So adding some Insanity to your program wouldn't hurt, it just might help you get that 6pack, but diet is key.
Sure, and if that's your goal you'd be better off doing a "beach body" program than one that focuses on performance metrics. Most people on here care more about the weight on the bar or the number of pullups they do than about how chiseled their abzz are.