CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:07 AM   #11
Beau Bryant

Profile:
Re: Pulling from the High Schools

I started a power athlete program last summer. I took one high school football player in for free, he cleaned the gym for about an hour once a week and I gave him free training. I put about 20-25 pounds on him in a couple months, increased his squat to 3x5 at 315 pounds (190 pounds of body weight) and sent him back to the start of 2 a days the strongest kid they had. It did not take long to pack the gym with young kids from every sport. This then spread to other schools in the county.

Start with one, make them stronger, bigger, and more powerful than anyone they have and people will take notice quickly.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:14 AM   #12
Aaron C Bennett

Profile:

Have you tried pulling in the St. Cloud rugby guys?
http://www.stcloudrugby.org/hs/ (wfs)
Old 03-21-2011, 09:20 AM   #13
Jay Adams

Profile:

When I was in HS we had to work out as ateam. It was part of being on a team and you could go somewhere else, but you still needed to make team workouts. The local HS is still that way and not much has changed that
Old 03-21-2011, 10:13 AM   #14
John Swanson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron C Bennett View Post
Have you tried pulling in the St. Cloud rugby guys?
http://www.stcloudrugby.org/hs/ (wfs)
There head coach is a training at another facility. I have contacted him but my guess is he has them training there. The facility he works at is more for the general public who do weight loss programs. Not really meant for athletes so maybe there is hope.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:40 PM   #15
Departed1

Profile:

I coach at the high school level and I don't understand this thread. I've never seen a high school that has kids pay to do their summer program. If anything coaches are constantly complaining about kids not coming in over the summer, so why would you have them pay and run off even more kids (I wish we could have 100 kids in there). The only way I've seen coaches make money off their weight program is if they sell the program to other coaches, or if they get a grant of some sort by showing how much their weight room is being used.

Here is a link about something similar to this topic being discussed: http://www.coachhuey.com/index.cgi?b...y&thread=44707

To me it comes down to the team aspect of it. I want them lifting with the guys they are going to play with on Friday nights. If you are going to go get one on one training, great, do it. I want you to get better. Show me a copy of what you're doing so we can make sure you're not going to over train and get after it. But I still want you to work out with the team. May sound dumb, but it's always team first, in everything we do.

Don't get me wrong, I know crossfit trainers know what they're doing. I know you can do a lot with a kid. I can't speak for what the school where you're at is doing, but we have a very structured workout. We try to minimize down time, do a lot of full body movements, agility, etc. We have 3 coaches on staff who have PE degrees, played college sports, and work their butts off to stay on top of weight room knowledge. The problem becomes when you're trying to program a workout that a 14 year old freshman who has never lifted can do, and will also push an 18 year old senior who's been lifting for 6 years, doing that all within a weight room that has limited resources.

Sorry if that came across too abrasive, didn't mean for it to. I just didn't want it to turn into this situation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iymXdRQDISg

If you're wanting to get more clients, personally I would prefer you to come talk to me as the coach, and show me what you're doing. I would be more open to it that way, than a kid telling me (sometimes what you tell a teenager doesn't get relayed correctly). The problem could be if the guy is not as understanding as I am (haha). I also like suggestion of offering a "coach the coaches" if needed.

Just my 2 cents
Old 03-21-2011, 06:58 PM   #16
John Swanson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Rader View Post
I coach at the high school level and I don't understand this thread. I've never seen a high school that has kids pay to do their summer program. If anything coaches are constantly complaining about kids not coming in over the summer, so why would you have them pay and run off even more kids (I wish we could have 100 kids in there). The only way I've seen coaches make money off their weight program is if they sell the program to other coaches, or if they get a grant of some sort by showing how much their weight room is being used.

Here is a link about something similar to this topic being discussed: http://www.coachhuey.com/index.cgi?b...y&thread=44707

To me it comes down to the team aspect of it. I want them lifting with the guys they are going to play with on Friday nights. If you are going to go get one on one training, great, do it. I want you to get better. Show me a copy of what you're doing so we can make sure you're not going to over train and get after it. But I still want you to work out with the team. May sound dumb, but it's always team first, in everything we do.

Don't get me wrong, I know crossfit trainers know what they're doing. I know you can do a lot with a kid. I can't speak for what the school where you're at is doing, but we have a very structured workout. We try to minimize down time, do a lot of full body movements, agility, etc. We have 3 coaches on staff who have PE degrees, played college sports, and work their butts off to stay on top of weight room knowledge. The problem becomes when you're trying to program a workout that a 14 year old freshman who has never lifted can do, and will also push an 18 year old senior who's been lifting for 6 years, doing that all within a weight room that has limited resources.

Sorry if that came across too abrasive, didn't mean for it to. I just didn't want it to turn into this situation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iymXdRQDISg

If you're wanting to get more clients, personally I would prefer you to come talk to me as the coach, and show me what you're doing. I would be more open to it that way, than a kid telling me (sometimes what you tell a teenager doesn't get relayed correctly). The problem could be if the guy is not as understanding as I am (haha). I also like suggestion of offering a "coach the coaches" if needed.

Just my 2 cents
Okay, so the whole history behind all this is...

I went to this high school. Graduate in 04. I came back to play Division 1 hockey for our hometown in 05. When I started to play college hockey I started to brain storm idea on how I can give back to my high school. I started a training program for all the hockey players to attend. We have seen pretty good results. First summer we started with 5 and now we are up over 25 hockey players. The weight room was the worst I have ever seen. So I went around Saint Cloud and raise close to $15,000 to redo the whole weight room. I went through Alison at York Barbell and they gave us a tremendous deal on equipment. I can't thank her enough.

My point is, many of the hockey players are multi sport athletes. So I have the football coach telling them they have to do this weight lift program. First I find it funny that we just raised all this money for the weight room and now he is trying to take away some of my hockey players. Second I could understand if they had a good lifting program. As I said before, it is often only one coach in there at a time. The lifting block is MWF for 1 hour. Im sure you can do the math but 1 hour a week with a 100 kids in a small weight room makes it impossible for the athletes to get any type of training done. The kids that we do train always are the top hockey and football players.

I guess what I don't get is, after getting the weight room completely remodeled for them, and showing the coach that the athletes we train come back in much better shape why he still continues to convince or make it mandatory to do the football training. And if your gunna say it build a team I would agree but in this situation it doesn't. Not when the kids are just allowed to sit around for an hour.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:38 PM   #17
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Perhaps you can start a non-profit and offer to train the kids for free.