CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 04-13-2010, 09:39 PM   #1
James Kitcher Jr.

Profile:
Jonathan Chaimberg says CrossFit's "The Biggest Problem" in MMA

I was just listening to The Free Roll on MMADiehards.com and they had a segment on with strength and conditioning coach Jonathan Chaimberg ( he's worked with fighters like Georges St. Pierre, Jon Jones and Kenny Florian).

From what I understand, a lot of people say Chaimberg's training looks a lot like CrossFit -- but he comes out in this interview firmly against it as a training regimen for MMA athletes.

The free snippet can be found by going here: (wfs) http://mmadiehards.com/radio/the-free-roll-radio/ and playing the accompanying video for the "The Free Roll radio: Jonathan Chaimberg, new co-host Duke Roufus" show. The statement about CrossFit comes up about 50 seconds into the preview.

In order to hear Chaimberg's comments in context, you'll need to listen to the audio version. If you fast forward, Chaimberg's remarks come about 50-60% into the show.

Take a listen. Thoughts? Seems to me like he's heard of CF and the little exposure was enough to turn him off.

Last edited by James Kitcher Jr. : 04-13-2010 at 10:06 PM. Reason: actually you can FFW
Old 04-14-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
Doug Blankenship

Profile:
Re: Jonathan Chaimberg says CrossFit's "The Biggest Problem" in MMA

He's right. For actually athletes that have sport specific goal, they need to train for that goal. Thatís basically all heís saying.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:31 PM   #3
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blankenship View Post
He's right. For actually athletes that have sport specific goal, they need to train for that goal. Thatís basically all heís saying.
I meant actual. I cannot spell today.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:11 PM   #4
Matt Payne

Profile:

Yeah I think from his training with GSP he can call it whatever but it looks like similar elements. I am sure he needs to combine more specific training as one would expect. GPP training alone is not enough. Most MMA training tends to use a good dose of GPP anyway on top of specific work. I certainly would not say it's the Biggest problem....MMA has got many problems.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:33 AM   #5
Danim Suer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blankenship View Post
+1. Some have said this is a gimmick to market himself, since just mentioning crossfit will get you more exposure. But, he's absolutely right. MMA fighters have to train specifically for MMA. Crossfit isn't about specialization, so...