CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 03-03-2010, 04:54 PM   #11
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Where to start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Hall View Post
I disagree completly with that. There is nothing dumb about waiting until you are a purple belt to start in striking.

It all depends on what you are intending to do. Me I plan to fight in MMA but it wont be until I'm a purple belt (I'm currently a 1 stripe Blue belt under Pedro Sauer) Jiu Jitsu is number one for me first and formost. I'll do jiu jitsu until the day I die even if I never step into MMA.

I dont plan on doing it professionally by any means but I wont even think of stepping into a ring or cage until I'm a purple belt.
No one's talking about stepping into a ring, just about training in striking.

If you're going to train defenses against strikes, you need to be training how to do the strikes, too. Otherwise you get defenses that only work against strikers who aren't any good. Much as grapplers like to talk about how "all fights go to ground," getting hit by a good karate or TKD guy can be eye-opening.

Katherine
Old 03-03-2010, 05:12 PM   #12
Matt Payne

Profile:

I agree with Katherine here. There is no need at all to wait until you get to purple belt to start learning striking. From a practical standpoint , outside of your training gym, you may just get into a situation in real life that requires some self defense and NOT just throwing guard or going to the ground. Please learn striking as you learn BJJ. Why would you not? And for MMA, I think by now we all know that BJJ is by far not the only tool you need to have in your toolbox if you decided to get involved in the sport.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:11 AM   #13
Nick Delgadillo

Profile:

Looks like these guys are in your town http://www.headhuntercombatives.com/index.html (WFS) I was lucky enough to discover Muay Thai and submission grappling and then Krav Maga and Brazilian Jiujitsu. All great sports and systems and they all compliment each other well.

Take your time and find something you like and will stick with. Katherine is absolutely right. You have to find a good instructor. Your gym should feel like family and you shouldn't feel like someone is just trying to make money off of you. You have to find the guy who would do it for free if there were no other choice.

Avoid anyone who won't let you try a few classes, who wants you to spend tons of cash on equipment, enrollment fees, contracts, or who talks about promoting you quickly without even seeing what you can do.

Best of luck to you, my friend.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:19 AM   #14
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post
Avoid anyone who won't let you try a few classes, who wants you to spend tons of cash on equipment, enrollment fees, contracts, or who talks about promoting you quickly without even seeing what you can do.
Mostly agree with this, except for the "try a few classes" part. We insist that beginners sign up for at least a month, preferably three. The reason is that the learning curve is so steep that often that commitment is the only thing that gets them to come back after the first class.

(This is an aikido dojo. The first thing we teach is how to roll, which is hard for most adults.)

People can watch as many classes as they want, though.

Katherine
Old 03-04-2010, 10:41 AM   #15
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Sakuraba would argue with your comparison of grappling and striking.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:05 AM   #16
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

I dunno, I think people ditch striking too much in favor of BJJ and wrestling.

I mean look at most standup battles in MMA these days. They're kind of sloppy and more like brawls with wild swinging.

But you get guys that know how to strike in there like an Anderson Silva (obviously he's a freak and an exception but you get the point) and suddenly they're very dangerous and hard to beat on their feet because all your wild swinging and brawling won't mean anything. Then if they have good takedown defense they're even more dangerous because your BJJ and wrestling is neutralized and you can't hold a candle on your feet. That is of course if they can prevent the takedown.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:30 PM   #17
Matt Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
I dunno, I think people ditch striking too much in favor of BJJ and wrestling.

I mean look at most standup battles in MMA these days. They're kind of sloppy and more like brawls with wild swinging.

But you get guys that know how to strike in there like an Anderson Silva (obviously he's a freak and an exception but you get the point) and suddenly they're very dangerous and hard to beat on their feet because all your wild swinging and brawling won't mean anything. Then if they have good takedown defense they're even more dangerous because your BJJ and wrestling is neutralized and you can't hold a candle on your feet. That is of course if they can prevent the takedown.
And in Anderson Silva's case he will get you on the ground too as he is a BJJ Black Belt. I think having a well rounded game is critical. BJ Penn- great BJJ BUT great striking, GSP- great BJJ and decent striking, Fedor- excellent striking and good BJJ. I don't really know any high level champions that don't have a pretty well rounded game.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:25 PM   #18
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Payne View Post
And in Anderson Silva's case he will get you on the ground too as he is a BJJ Black Belt. I think having a well rounded game is critical. BJ Penn- great BJJ BUT great striking, GSP- great BJJ and decent striking, Fedor- excellent striking and good BJJ. I don't really know any high level champions that don't have a pretty well rounded game.
What I'm saying is that it seems people these days overly focus on BJJ and then leave the striking to the side and turn into wild brawlers.
Why are these guys with BJJ so successful? They can also stand and trade without worrying about getting KO'd because they're throwing wild looping shots that aren't going to hit anything.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:50 PM   #19
Matt Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
What I'm saying is that it seems people these days overly focus on BJJ and then leave the striking to the side and turn into wild brawlers.
Why are these guys with BJJ so successful? They can also stand and trade without worrying about getting KO'd because they're throwing wild looping shots that aren't going to hit anything.
Jason, I am in 100% agreement. Need to have a good striking game for sure. BJJ alone will not cut it.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:41 PM   #20
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Hall View Post

I can spend 6 months in Muay Tai or Boxing and know enough to be dangerous on my feet as well as protect myself enough to get to the clinch and take the guy down.

The same can't be said for 6 months of Jiu Jitsu.

A boxer is like a lion, king of the land. but you through him into a shark tank where he can't swim he becomes just another meal-Renzo Gracie
I am a BJJ guy, but have trained Muay thai, and kickboxing as well, and LOL at 6 months of training being enough to be competent in stand-up. Stand-up and BJJ are equally technical, just in different ways. I think the main idea here, is to focus on your goal, If you want to fight MMA, you need to train all aspects, if you want to be the next Eddie bravo, you need to focus on BJJ, it is really that easy. If you just want to have fun and get in shape, Cherry pick classes as the interest you.