CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 01-28-2010, 12:30 PM   #1
Casey Crooks

Profile:
Where to start?

Hey all,
ive been lurking the CrossPit page for a while, and it has really opened me up to a new area of sport. ive watched boxing and MMA for awile (who hasnt?) but i have no experience in any type of ?fighting discipline? if that is the correct term. i would like to start to learn.
my question is, what is a good place to start at? BJJ, greco wrestling, boxing, aikaido, what? i did wrestle in middle and some high school but thats all i have.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:40 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Where to start?

I would say that finding a good teacher near you is more important than choosing a particular art. You don't yet know enough to know what style will work best for your body type and personality.

If you're interested in fighting sports specifically, you'll want to find a teacher who shares that interest. That will probably rule out many traditional martial arts, though not necessarily all.

Do NOT be impressed by the school with the biggest signs, the biggest trophies in the window, or the most exuberant promises of rapid "mastery." Those are often good indicators that the place may be more interested in taking your money than in actually teaching you anything. The best schools are usually pretty low key. (It's similar to the Crossfit vs. globo style difference.)

Katherine
Old 01-28-2010, 01:17 PM   #3
Matt Corley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Crooks View Post
Hey all,
ive been lurking the CrossPit page for a while, and it has really opened me up to a new area of sport. ive watched boxing and MMA for awile (who hasnt?) but i have no experience in any type of ?fighting discipline? if that is the correct term. i would like to start to learn.
my question is, what is a good place to start at? BJJ, greco wrestling, boxing, aikaido, what? i did wrestle in middle and some high school but thats all i have.
Google is your friend:

http://www.headhuntercombatives.com/ wfs
Tuscaloosa, AL, 35403
Phone:
205-345-3535

If you're interest is in MMA then wrestling, no-gi bjj, and muay thai are all really good places to start.

My number one piece of advice is don't sign a contract without trying it out for an extended period of time. Make sure you enjoy it, can make it, and are going to stick with it.

Good luck,
Old 01-28-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
Raquel Cusi

Profile:
Talking Re: Where to start?

I'm a little biased, but I would focus on BJJ. Since you have previous wrestling experience, it would work well if you start Jiu Jitsu.

My only thing is that it would be difficult to find a good school in your area. I did a quick Google search and most of the BJJ academies are about an hour away from you. I would recommend finding a school that's soley dedicated to Jiu Jitsu. My opinion is that if you want to get good at least one style, you should focus on that style for awhile, especially since you're just starting out. Hope that helps.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:03 PM   #5
T Michael Tucker

Profile:

Hey Casey,

Sent you a PM.

-Michael Tucker
Old 02-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #6
Eric Cady

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raquel Cusi View Post
I'm a little biased, but I would focus on BJJ. Since you have previous wrestling experience, it would work well if you start Jiu Jitsu.

My only thing is that it would be difficult to find a good school in your area. I did a quick Google search and most of the BJJ academies are about an hour away from you. I would recommend finding a school that's soley dedicated to Jiu Jitsu. My opinion is that if you want to get good at least one style, you should focus on that style for awhile, especially since you're just starting out. Hope that helps.
I agree here. Since you have previous grappling experience continuing in wrestling and bjj seems like a great place to continue. It's best to get real good at one area and add others that will support it, later the additions will stand on their own. My 2 cents..I too am biased to grappling.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:57 AM   #7
Christian Charles Wright Jr.

Profile:

I would start with BJJ and especially with a Gi. Though I love No Gi as well, training with a Gi creates a much more solid game through better posture and placement.

Your wrestling experience will help you as far as takedowns (some modifications are needed though), keeping your base, and pressure from the top.

Once you get to purple belt, start looking into some striking....
Old 02-10-2010, 10:34 AM   #8
John Hansen

Profile:

There are BJJ classes at the UofA rec center. Somebody affiliated with Alliance, if I recall correctly. Don't remember the price, just that it was very reasonable. That's all I know. Probably doesn't show up on google searches.

I personally like the idea of getting your feet wet with pure BJJ and pure Muy Thai. I find myself less interested in getting punched with 4 oz gloves, so BJJ and MT works better for me than a MMA gym.

Last edited by John Hansen : 02-10-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:40 AM   #9
John Hansen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Charles Wright Jr. View Post
I would start with BJJ and especially with a Gi. Though I love No Gi as well, training with a Gi creates a much more solid game through better posture and placement.

Your wrestling experience will help you as far as takedowns (some modifications are needed though), keeping your base, and pressure from the top.

Once you get to purple belt, start looking into some striking....
Waiting until you have a purple belt before training in striking is dumb. (For people that don't know, getting your purple takes four to five years of continuous training.)

Last edited by John Hansen : 02-10-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:34 PM   #10
Mitchell Hall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hansen View Post
Waiting until you have a purple belt before training in striking is dumb. (For people that don't know, getting your purple takes four to five years of continuous training.)
I disagree completly with that. There is nothing dumb about waiting until you are a purple belt to start in striking.

It all depends on what you are intending to do. Me I plan to fight in MMA but it wont be until I'm a purple belt (I'm currently a 1 stripe Blue belt under Pedro Sauer) Jiu Jitsu is number one for me first and formost. I'll do jiu jitsu until the day I die even if I never step into MMA.

I dont plan on doing it professionally by any means but I wont even think of stepping into a ring or cage until I'm a purple belt.

I can spend 6 months in Muay Tai or Boxing and know enough to be dangerous on my feet as well as protect myself enough to get to the clinch and take the guy down.

The same can't be said for 6 months of Jiu Jitsu.

A boxer is like a lion, king of the land. but you through him into a shark tank where he can't swim he becomes just another meal-Renzo Gracie