CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 01-28-2010, 06:22 AM   #11
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:
Re: Murph straight through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Kemper View Post
Just curious, of those that have already posted, did you add the weight vest or body armor?
Seeing as my only murph was scaled... nope
Old 01-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #12
Sheldon Danley

Profile:

Quote:
Just curious, of those that have already posted, did you add the weight vest or body armor?
At the time, my "weight vest" was an old back pack filled with plates. That doesn't work well for running as the plates smack you in the back the entire time. Even now all I have is a 10 lb. vest but maybe I'll try it next time.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:22 PM   #13
Jeff Yan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Michael Orlando View Post
I wouldn't call myself a firebreather
Must be some other jerk on the internet posting videos of one-armed Fran.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:26 PM   #14
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

My first murph was in an unfamiliar area. As such I didn't understand the instructions for where the cutoff was for running a mile and ended up running almost 2 miles to start. Then I tried to do the pullups straight through. About 65-70 I realized I was spending way too much time standing around and started breaking up things 5-20-30 style....it was way easier since I could rest my pullup/pushup/squat muscles while doing other things, but it made it more intense. After all that, sets of 20 pushups was too tough, cindy style woulda been better but I think I didn't want to do the math at the time .

I finished in 59:38 but given the ridiculous nature of my approach that time probably doesn't mean much.

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier : 01-28-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:00 PM   #15
Victor Myers

Profile:

I did Murph straight through twice before I realized that partitioning was ok. First time I was right around 47 min. My legs felt like tree trunks on the run home after 300 air squats. I moved like a 90 year old man for about a week.

Second time, I shaved about 5 minutes off my time. It was after that workout that I seriously started questioning crossfit methodlogy (I got over it though)

What kills me, is the weighted vest thing. I'd love to meet a guy in real life who thinks "Murph is so easy, how can I make it harder?"

I haven't done Murph in a really long time. It's just so painful.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:14 PM   #16
Bryan Kemper

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Myers View Post
I did Murph straight through twice before I realized that partitioning was ok. First time I was right around 47 min. My legs felt like tree trunks on the run home after 300 air squats. I moved like a 90 year old man for about a week.

Second time, I shaved about 5 minutes off my time. It was after that workout that I seriously started questioning crossfit methodlogy (I got over it though)

What kills me, is the weighted vest thing. I'd love to meet a guy in real life who thinks "Murph is so easy, how can I make it harder?"

I haven't done Murph in a really long time. It's just so painful.
Victor,

Please read the book "Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell. It tells the story of Operation Red Wing and SEAL Team 10 and how Lt Michael "Murph" Murphy earned the Medal of Honor. "Michael" is another hero WOD from an ill-fated rescue mission. Pretty amazing to have two hero WODs for actions on the same day...28 June 2005.

Whenever I start feeling the pain in the middle of Murph, I think of the pain that these American Heros endured in the mountains of Afghanistan. Then my "discomfort" is really put into perspective.

I too would have liked to met Murph in his day.

Last edited by Bryan Kemper : 01-28-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:09 PM   #17
Victor Myers

Profile:

Thanks Bryan,

When I was following the main site, I would do it when it came up. I've been training at an affiliate and it hasn't been in the programming yet.

Thanks for putting it into perspective. It is always an honor to do a hero workout. I'll stop whining.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:26 PM   #18
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Victor,

Please read the book "Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell. It tells the story of Operation Red Wing and SEAL Team 10 and how Lt Michael "Murph" Murphy earned the Medal of Honor. "Michael" is another hero WOD from an ill-fated rescue mission. Pretty amazing to have two hero WODs for actions on the same day...28 June 2005.

Whenever I start feeling the pain in the middle of Murph, I think of the pain that these American Heros endured in the mountains of Afghanistan. Then my "discomfort" is really put into perspective.

I too would have liked to met Murph in his day.
J.T> is named aftet PO1 Jeff Taylor(no relation) who also was killed in that action.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:00 PM   #19
Jae Lee

Profile:

Since Lt Murphy liked to call this workout "Body armor", I found it appropriate to do it with the 20# vest since I do not own body armor (yet).

I did Murph over the summer with the 20# weighted vest at 44:57. At the time, I thought it was like Angie and you had to do it straight through without partitioning but it wasn't until after I completed it someone pointed that out.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:39 PM   #20
Tom Reyes

Profile:

So, for my 40th, I requested my affiliate do Murphy. Actually, everyone else did "team Murphy" where they split the WOD between 2 partners. As I was the birthday boy, I got to do it solo, unweighted and non-partitioned. I finished in 1:08. I have no idea how you guys can do it so darn quick. Rock on!!!