CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:35 AM   #11
Steve Loeding

Profile:
Re: Opening a box and have some questions???

agree that the 19-25 yr olds don't have a lot of income and if they are doing MMA, they won't be opening the wallet any wider for CrossFit. Luckily, the MMA school I have based my CrossFit gym out of is a very relaxed, respectful school. No swearing, no showing off, etc. They also have a women's kickboxing class and a few of the women have shown interest in CrossFit. I also offer a discount to students at the school and have had 3 takers so far, so not too bad.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:29 PM   #12
Jakub Marciniec

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
I could be wrong, but I believe Damon's point is strictly business. It's not that it can't be done, but if you are starting an affiliate and your main demographic you are looking for is 18-25 year old men; it will be difficult. Sure, your "firebreathers" may fall in that age group, but not the people that typically open their wallets for training. The largest group is the 29-54 year old females, they have money, and spend the most discretionary income on trying to look better, healthier. His point was that this group will most likely not feel very comfortable in a room full of fighters.

It can work, it's just a matter of deciding which demographic you want making up the majority of your members.
But this was my point, that our KM gym isnít just in that age group. Our avg client age would be around 25-40 business person (we are located in the heart of Sydney which helps)

All im saying is that donít rule out potential partnerships just because you figure that X facility normally has X age group. There are exceptions to the rule.

If you like I can give a bit of history on our situation but I wont make this post longer then it needs to be
Old 01-07-2010, 04:12 PM   #13
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub Marciniec View Post
But this was my point, that our KM gym isnít just in that age group. Our avg client age would be around 25-40 business person (we are located in the heart of Sydney which helps)

All im saying is that donít rule out potential partnerships just because you figure that X facility normally has X age group. There are exceptions to the rule.

If you like I can give a bit of history on our situation but I wont make this post longer then it needs to be
Agreed Jakub. Not to rule out any partnership, or potential client. I've just gone by what I've seen in most of America. Good luck
Old 01-07-2010, 10:18 PM   #14
Mark Belanger

Profile:

Thanks for all the input on the MMA discussion. Sounds like some good points to keep in mind. Iím in the process of starting my affiliate in a Brazilian Jui-jitsu facility.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:41 AM   #15
Justin M. Smith

Profile:

Heath,
Are you guys going to be in Beaufort of Hilton Head? I am down that way for work often and would love to check it out when you open.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:11 AM   #16
Adam Kayce

Profile:

Great questions... I was thinking of starting a thread just like it. Can't wait to see what other affiliates have to say!