CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 12-14-2009, 09:30 AM   #11
Matthew Apostol

Profile:
Re: Ufc 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blankenship View Post
For you guys saying Mir improved, how exactly has he improved?

All I saw was a guy that put on some weight, landed one big shot and subbed a (Maybe) top ten fighter who doesn't know jack on the ground.

Where is the improvement?
Yeah, I would have liked to see the fight last at least a round or two to see just how improved he actually was.

He did set up that left nicely with a feint, though. It was definately planned. He saw that Kongo left an opening and he immediately capatilized. That takes skill. Also, to hold on to that guillotine choke as long as he did when he didn't even have full guard and when Kongo was still fresh, that was impressive. No doubt his new strength helped him out with that.

If Mir was able to add 20-30 pounds of muscle and still improve his conditioning, then I would definately like to see what kind of training regimine he used before the fight. I'm curious to see if he used something similar to CFSB.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:32 AM   #12
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:

BJ looked incredible. I honestly think he wanted it to go 5 rounds so people would STFU about this cardio. I have no idea who else there is for him: Florian looked pretty crisp, but BJ takes him again. Frankie Edgar and Gray Maynard would get killed. There really isnt anybody!

I wish the Mir fight would have went a little longer. That could have happened to anybody. I really wanted to see how he moves wearing another 20lbs.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:12 PM   #13
Doug Winenger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Apostol View Post
Yeah, I would have liked to see the fight last at least a round or two to see just how improved he actually was.
Quote:
For you guys saying Mir improved, how exactly has he improved?

All I saw was a guy that put on some weight, landed one big shot and subbed a (Maybe) top ten fighter who doesn't know jack on the ground.

Where is the improvement?
@ Doug B: It's hard to knock Mir for 'not improving' while simultaneously knocking his opponent for (maybe) not being a 'top 10' and having a suspect ground game. I questioned this match-up from the start picking Mir to dominate. Kongo has no 'big game' experience and Mir has fought for/held the title/interim title how many times? Kongo is simply not a top caliber fighter (yet). He hasn't beaten or even challenged anyone that is in the discussion for the HW title. And everyone knows his (bottom) ground game is bad.

@ Matthew: I also find it hard to tell Mir not to win so fast because we want to see how much he's improved? Isn't the speed of his victory an example of his prowess? Or, at least an example of his opponents unworthiness?

Mir was good enough that Kongo couldn't stand with him (Kongo's strength by the way). That's all the info we have from this fight. Mir needs a tougher opponent. I guess you could also critique Kongo's strategy...but...given his abilities..i'm not sure he didn't play to his strengths. He simply isn't in the same category as Mir.

So, the jury is out on Mir's improvement. Really, one good way it might be measured it is to put Mir against one of his recent losses...Lesnar is the only loss in the past 2 yrs with Brandon Vera being the next loss back in '06. Unfortunately, Vera is no longer fighting at HW...which was probably a smart move on his part.

The HW division is tough anyway because the talent is about as deep as the kiddie pool. Really, we have a bunch of dudes that probably should be fighting at 205 or a class between HW and LHW that doesn't currently exist. Many of them are just too small to go against the likes of a healthy Lesnar and potentially the 'new-and-still-not-confirmed-improved" Mir A dude that cuts to make 265 is probably fighting closer to 280-285. A lot of these other so-called-HW's are walking in at 230-240. They just can't compete against a good wrestler with that kind of a weight advantage.

Shane Carwin and Fedor might be a couple of exceptions...'might'....Carwin is still largely untested...and...we can debate on how good Fedor really is as well...his streak is impressive against any list of opponents...but...I question if they are really top MMA fighters at that weight. I am among the list that want to see FE fight some 'real' talent.

Just my two cents...
Old 12-14-2009, 05:17 PM   #14
Ned Ferguson

Profile:

Mir stated that he never even did any S & C, and still got to this level. Putting on the 20-30 lbs of muscle represents a definite improvement in my book. That should give him a much better chance against Lesner, if/when he returns.

The pre-fight special only showed Mir doing squats, deadlifts, and cleans to pack on the muscle. Surely he is doing some cardio in there somewhere.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:36 PM   #15
Scott Moore.

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Ferguson View Post
Mir stated that he never even did any S & C, and still got to this level. Putting on the 20-30 lbs of muscle represents a definite improvement in my book. That should give him a much better chance against Lesner, if/when he returns.

The pre-fight special only showed Mir doing squats, deadlifts, and cleans to pack on the muscle. Surely he is doing some cardio in there somewhere.
Well he worked with former Wold Strongest Man Mark Phillipi so you gotta figure he probably did some sort of strong man type training.
http://pantherfit.blogspot.com/And those who had seen it told how he who had been possessed with demons was healed -Luke 8:36
Old 12-15-2009, 03:59 AM   #16
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
@ Doug B: It's hard to knock Mir for 'not improving' while simultaneously knocking his opponent for (maybe) not being a 'top 10' and having a suspect ground game.
No it's not. How did Frank improve? He gained some weight. He has always had a great ground game and is improving upon his striking. If Frank did improve his striking we didn't get to see it, becuase it was over so fast.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:30 AM   #17
Doug Winenger

Profile:

Quote:
No it's not. How did Frank improve? He gained some weight. He has always had a great ground game and is improving upon his striking. If Frank did improve his striking we didn't get to see it,
becuase it was over so fast.
"If Frank did improve his striking we didn't get to see it, becuase it was over so fast."

This is somewhat of a contradiction in my book...the fight was over because he landed a solid strike on Kongo's melon. You even say above "He...is improving upon his striking". I think Matthew A said it in his earlier post...the strike was definitely 'planned' by Mir. He saw the opening and took it. If that doesn't demonstrate knowledge/ability in striking...i'm not sure what does. The question to your point is...did he demonstrate improved striking?

I don't think so...

My point is...I personally can't criticize Mir for not showing us his 'improvements' while at the same time saying his opponent was not up to his level. So, on that front, you and I agree...Mir did not show us any improvement...because he did not have the chance to. I am choosing not to hold that against him while I think you are. That's all I'm saying...
Old 12-15-2009, 08:37 AM   #18
Tom Seryak

Profile:

Quote:
No it's not. How did Frank improve? He gained some weight. He has always had a great ground game and is improving upon his striking. If Frank did improve his striking we didn't get to see it, becuase it was over so fast.
hmmm...let's see...he threw one punch and knocked down a "feared striker" then viciously choked him unconscious in about a minute. what instead would you have been looking for?
Old 12-16-2009, 12:30 AM   #19
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Seryak View Post
hmmm...let's see...he threw one punch and knocked down a "feared striker" then viciously choked him unconscious in about a minute. what instead would you have been looking for?
How is one punch and him subbing a guy improvement? He has been choking people out for years now. One punch doesn't equal imrpoved striking. That still remains to be seen.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:32 AM   #20
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Winenger View Post
"If Frank did improve his striking we didn't get to see it, becuase it was over so fast."

This is somewhat of a contradiction in my book...the fight was over because he landed a solid strike on Kongo's melon. You even say above "He...is improving upon his striking". I think Matthew A said it in his earlier post...the strike was definitely 'planned' by Mir. He saw the opening and took it. If that doesn't demonstrate knowledge/ability in striking...i'm not sure what does. The question to your point is...did he demonstrate improved striking?

I don't think so...

My point is...I personally can't criticize Mir for not showing us his 'improvements' while at the same time saying his opponent was not up to his level. So, on that front, you and I agree...Mir did not show us any improvement...because he did not have the chance to. I am choosing not to hold that against him while I think you are. That's all I'm saying...
I think were somewhat on the same page. I would like to believe he has improved on his striking. But, we need to see him throw more than one punch to determine that.