CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-15-2009, 09:00 PM   #1
Peter Egyed

Profile:
What's worse?

Lets say you wanna reward yourself with an apple pie and ice cream... would it be better to enjoy it over 3 or 4 sittings in moderate portions or simply indulge and consume the entire pie and ice cream in one sitting?

In my opinion I say kill it at once then get back on the paleo zone train... what do you think?
Old 11-15-2009, 09:09 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: What's worse?

One sitting is probably better..

Although BOTH the pie and ice cream?

If you're pretty strict I don't see a problem with a 'cheat' once in a while... unless you can specifically feel a difference in your training
Old 11-15-2009, 09:12 PM   #3
Benjamin Wheeler

Profile:

Peter,

First off, congrats on your performance this year at the games.

I am with you on this one. Crush it all at once, get it through you and get back with the game. I know for myself it would irritate my gut big time, no matter what the amount. I might as well enjoy it and get it over with once, instead of 3 or 4 times.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:15 PM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I'll second your opinion--I say one really bad meal is better for you than four halfway bad ones because with one really bad meal you're only screwing yourself up for one day rather than four. One day of spiked insulin and gut irritation is better than four...then you're able to get back to normal faster.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:16 PM   #5
Clay Jones

Profile:

I'd personally just binge and feel bad after. I find that to be more motivating.

And don't forget the hot caramel and whipped cream.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:14 AM   #6
Laura Kurth

Profile:

An Entire apple pie? I don't see why you would eat such huge quantities of something like that. Why not just have a moderate slice, enjoy it and move on.

I don't understand this mentality - deny yourself "cheat food", eat huge quantity of "cheat food" feel ill then deny yourself said food again for weeks etc.

I think it's healthier to just have a little dessert when you feel like it - no need to binge and eat entire pies and whatnot, enjoy it, move on, if you feel like having another dessert in a few days so what. But, that's just me.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:24 AM   #7
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Kurth View Post
An Entire apple pie? I don't see why you would eat such huge quantities of something like that. Why not just have a moderate slice, enjoy it and move on.

I don't understand this mentality - deny yourself "cheat food", eat huge quantity of "cheat food" feel ill then deny yourself said food again for weeks etc.

I think it's healthier to just have a little dessert when you feel like it - no need to binge and eat entire pies and whatnot, enjoy it, move on, if you feel like having another dessert in a few days so what. But, that's just me.

Eating a whole pie with ice cream in a diet of denial comes dangerously close to an eating disorder. Definitely not saying to eat smaller portions more often, just that bingeing should be avoided.

Last edited by Scott Allen Hanson : 11-16-2009 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Deleted redundancy
Old 11-16-2009, 07:39 AM   #8
Rene' Hardee

Profile:

I thought it was better to eat cheats in small portions along with a larger balanced meal. The goal is to not spike your insulin, no? My nutritionist told me to not eat just a piece of fruit or anything higher in sugar by itself, or it will get stored as fat. But if you eat it after you have also eaten some protein and carbs, then it will be used differently. Thoughts?
Old 11-16-2009, 07:50 AM   #9
Renee Lee

Profile:

ditto on the games performance, Peter. awesome job!

I agree with the "really? an entire pie?!" crew. While eating an entire pie is probably not the best idea, you can probably better control the insulin spike if you spread it out through the day.

OR you can just crush the entire pie/ice cream right after a long metcon and call it glycogen replenishment
Old 11-16-2009, 08:02 AM   #10
Joe Bernard

Profile:

I would eat it in one go. Small amounts of junk food don't satisfy me, so having it in moderate portions does not work well (all depends on your definition of moderate). I'm with Renee, call it glycogen replenishment.

How is binge eating once in awhile close to an eating disorder? Also, this is not a diet of denial for most of us, I enjoy eating Paleo. It's just that every once in a while I want some junk food. Nothing wrong with that.

Nice job at the games!