CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-13-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
Lindsay Grant

Profile:
Too much protein?

Is it possible to eat too much protein? I am currently eating 189g per day. I love meat and I love protein because it fills me up. I eat a piece of meat with breakfast, have a chicken breast for a snack in the morning, a piece of meat with lunch, another chicken breast before my workout, and then the meat with my dinner. Is this too much?
Old 11-13-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Too much protein?

No, but your diet looks low in bacon.

What are your goals, how active are you, how much do you weight?
Old 11-13-2009, 04:23 PM   #3
Greg Privitera

Profile:

There doesn't appear to be any negative health consequences to eating protein at levels up to at least 1.5g/pound LBM.

There do appear to be negative health consequences in not eating enough vegetables, so make sure you're getting those too!
Old 11-14-2009, 04:07 AM   #4
Matth Challoner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Privitera View Post
There doesn't appear to be any negative health consequences to eating protein at levels up to at least 1.5g/pound LBM.

There do appear to be negative health consequences in not eating enough vegetables, so make sure you're getting those too!
Old 11-14-2009, 05:31 PM   #5
Jean-Patrick Millette

Profile:

the only negative effect of eating too much protein is *IF* you forget about the nutrient. For example those bodybuilders that drink 8 whey shake a day... in the long run, they are missing a ton of health benefits from key nutrient.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:19 AM   #6
Clay Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Grant View Post
Is it possible to eat too much protein? I am currently eating 189g per day. I love meat and I love protein because it fills me up. I eat a piece of meat with breakfast, have a chicken breast for a snack in the morning, a piece of meat with lunch, another chicken breast before my workout, and then the meat with my dinner. Is this too much?
I don't think it is. Just make sure you are getting enough fat in your diet.

I do not believe there are any studies out there that show any type of risk associated with elevated levels (compared to RDA) of protein consumption. No harm to your liver, etc. As long as you are getting enough fat and some veggies you should be fine. Stefansson observed and wrote about native populations that ate nothing but meat and fat, and they did quite well on the diet.

Like Jamie said, how much do you weigh? I eat that much every day, but then I'm 260ish.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:41 AM   #7
Mike ODonnell

Profile:

Body needs nutrients....not just calories. A variety of amino acids, essential fatty acids, vitamins, minerals,....etc.

Make sure all your bases are covered. You probably will want to eat less meat if you eat more "fatty" versions...like whole eggs, steak, salmon....and get more nutrients in the process.

Keep in mind that most moderately active people only "need" 0.6g/lb of lean mass to maintain muscle....even people trying to put on mass/muscle usually need 0.8-1g/lb lean mass. Of course most also eat higher protein as a safety precaution on lower calorie diets (and helps them avoid overeating on carbs).

Don't go into a state of "rabbit starvation"...where you just eat lean meat and no fat. But as far as high intake being dangerous, there are no studies to prove otherwise for the kidneys (on healthy patients) or for heart disease/colon cancers....as the real danger is seen in a diet high in polyunsaturated oils/fats, sugars and other destructive chemicals/additives from processed meats, while a lower amount of natural antioxidants (fruits/veg) and fat soluble vitamins/minerals (found in fatty meats).

End lesson....quality of meats first...quantity second.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:24 AM   #8
Stephen Yosypiw

Profile:

It seems like a lot of people here eat a lot of bacon, but is there a limit to the bacon I should be eating?
Old 11-16-2009, 06:36 AM   #9
Greg Privitera

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Yosypiw View Post
It seems like a lot of people here eat a lot of bacon, but is there a limit to the bacon I should be eating?
Eat to fill your calorie needs, and make sure you're not eating only saturated fat. Insert bacon where needed.