CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-10-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
Ali Healy

Profile:
New CFer from the Bay Area, CA

Hi everyone,

My name is Ali, I'm from the SF Bay Area, and have been extremely active since the day I started walking

This past summer I broke my foot wakeboarding and in an effort to mix up my rehab I came across this discussion board -- thank goodness! I've been cruising around now for about a week and I think I'm just about sold on crossfit. There are some hardcore, competitive believers here and I find that to be extremely motivating!

I plan on starting off by mixing the WODs in with my normal rehab routine, keeping a journal from here on out, and eating better. I'll play it by ear from there. My goal is to be strong enough to snowboard with minimal pain this season, a season that is rapidly approaching! If anyone has ever had to deal with a hard cast and crutches for sometime, you very much understand the laziness and fatigue that settles in as well as the anstiness to get things back to normal again. Needless to say, my patience almost nonexistant and I'm at the point where I'm ready to kick it up a notch!

Anyway, just wanted to share a little bit about myself and future short term goals. Feel free to throw any advice and/or words of encouragement my way Thanks in advance for your support and I'll keep y'all posted on my progress!

Ali
Old 11-10-2009, 06:32 PM   #2
Nic Kirkland

Profile:
Re: New CFer from the Bay Area, CA

Awesome Ali! I think you would really benefit from visiting an affiliate. There are a plethora of them in California and I know there's plenty in the Bay Area.

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-affiliates/ (WFS)

Check out the right side of that page and click on California to see a list of all of them. Find one near you and drop in for one of their classes. Every affiliate I've seen is open to newcomers and has a deal where you get at least 1 free intro class. Even though you're currently rehabbing, you could still benefit from the community and expertise you'll find at an affiliate.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:35 PM   #3
Ali Healy

Profile:

Nicholas,

Thank you for the suggestion and I think going to an affiliate will definitely benefit me. I probably could use the extra motivation and someone around to push me farther than I push myself

I looked at quite a few in the area and discovered that an old friend of mine I went to HS with is a CF trainer at the affiliate in Milpitas! I'll have to reach out to him and see if I can sneak into a class or two.

I do have a question though. Would you say that most people seek the help of an affiliate? Is it not recommended to go at it alone?

Thanks again - I appreciate it!
Old 11-12-2009, 10:47 PM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Ali, I think it depends on a few factors:

~Budget

~schedule: Does such an affiliate offer a class I can make with that coincides with my schedule or can I fit that class into my schedule and still get to work, school, home with SO or kids/spouse, etc

~does such an affiliate program in a manner that is conducive to what I'm looking for. AKA can I work on SS or CFFB or CFSB, CFE, or CFWF, Oly, etc

~do you have such equipment at your reach to workout at home or your nearby gym?

~do you like to workout by yourself/workout partner or at home and keep to it?
Old 11-12-2009, 11:57 PM   #5
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

I think most people with an athletic background can hack into CF on their own. However, I think it is extremely valuable to just go and see an affiliate in action ASAP and soak up the awesomeness that is one man's former pipe dream brought to abundant life. If you have any knowledge of the different training programs out there, and especially experience with the great heap of garbage that constitutes the majority of them, it will be a breath of fresh air. If you've had good training programs in the past, you may be able to more fully appreciate what makes this one great (though far from perfect still, but evolving at least). Then go home and make a practical/financial decision about what is right for you.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:14 PM   #6
Chris Stroud

Profile:

I'm a trainer at CrossFit One World and we offer a free CF class on Sundays at 10:00 if your interested.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:56 PM   #7
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Stroud View Post
I'm a trainer at CrossFit One World and we offer a free CF class on Sundays at 10:00 if your interested.
san jose is a bit far from hayward.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:17 PM   #8
Christopher Stange

Profile:

where in the bay area are you looking for classes?
Old 11-17-2009, 02:37 AM   #9
Clay Jones

Profile:

Welcome aboard, Ali. There is an affiliate in San Jose (CF Silicon Valley) and several others if you don't mind taking a longer drive.

You can certainly do CrossFit on your own, depending on time, budget, and resourcefulness . . . but going to an affiliate is a great way to jumpstart the process.

Good luck with your foot rehab.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:14 AM   #10
Chris Stroud

Profile:

This google map should help. It is the location of all the affiliates in the bay area.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0...vP_caeS7Bzwfew