CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-08-2009, 12:04 PM   #11
Tom Woodward

Profile:
Re: Wendler's 5/3/1

Not sure about you guys, but i found the work sets in the program as Jim outlines it to be a bit too low in volume to provoke a good response. It probably has to do with the fact that I'm in the gray area of novice/intermediate and not using really heavy weights. I added a few work sets to my squat, press, and bench days, leaving deadlift the same per the second post in this bb.com thread (which is actually pretty informative):

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...2382761&page=3 (WFS)

Doing 5 work sets has been going well and I haven't felt overtrained so far.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:12 PM   #12
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Woodward View Post
Not sure about you guys, but i found the work sets in the program as Jim outlines it to be a bit too low in volume to provoke a good response. It probably has to do with the fact that I'm in the gray area of novice/intermediate and not using really heavy weights. I added a few work sets to my squat, press, and bench days, leaving deadlift the same per the second post in this bb.com thread (which is actually pretty informative):

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...2382761&page=3 (WFS)

Doing 5 work sets has been going well and I haven't felt overtrained so far.
If you're in the gray area you could've probably still been doing linear progression.

Simple fact of the matter here is most likely that if you need more volume, the weights aren't heavy enough for you to elicit the gains you should be getting in that case... which then means that you probably weren't ready to move to an intermediate program.

Most people get away from the basics too fast, and more complicated programming is not the answer.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:21 PM   #13
Tom Woodward

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
If you're in the gray area you could've probably still been doing linear progression.

Simple fact of the matter here is most likely that if you need more volume, the weights aren't heavy enough for you to elicit the gains you should be getting in that case... which then means that you probably weren't ready to move to an intermediate program.

Most people get away from the basics too fast, and more complicated programming is not the answer.
I could definitely be eliciting the best gains on SS. There's no denying that. But my priorities are such that I have an oly lifting class Tuesday and a CF met con on Saturday and Wendler seemed the most adaptable to my schedule even though it's intermediate.

I may take a crack at trying to fit SS to my schedule, but I wouldn't be able to squat more than twice a week, which is what I'm doing now anyway.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:23 PM   #14
Daniel Higgins

Profile:

For the three "working" weeks, I do the main movement (i.e. bench) and then 1 supp. (i.e. floor press, DB, boards press). For the deload, i do the main movement only, and work up to 70% x 5. I think thats pretty much what Wendler perscribes.

I try and throw in a little metcon at the end of the deload, but don't overdo it. this is mostly to make up for my feeling "fat" due to the lack of intensity. Silly, I know.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:44 PM   #15
Howard Wilcox

Profile:

I'm entering my second cycle deload week. The squat and dead work is going very well. Sometimes for extra work I use front squats since the quads are the supplemental part for squat work (and abs, but the front squats hit that too).

For deads I use everything from a heavy-post-chain based metcon to heavy KB swings, to lots of GHD back extensions.

For presses I have a couple of issues. I have a weird situation. I have some sort of odd injury that doesn't really seem to affect my press but does my bench, so the heavy weight of the bench can't help me press since I am unable to go all out.

And there could be a volume issue too, so I've started adding "boring but big" style presses (often combined with pullups). Further, think I started too high on my initial press estimate. And it caught up to me.

But, other than that I like it. It still gives me time to do hard metcons (which I often use for the supplemental work) and I don't mentally freak out about hitting a new PR every time I go into the gym.

I need to work more olympic lifts into it, though. There's time, I've just been slack about it.

I still think it is a great program. Slow and steady progress and pretty soon I'll be strong.

howard
Old 05-10-2009, 07:49 AM   #16
Rich Sarcomo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Woodward View Post
Not sure about you guys, but i found the work sets in the program as Jim outlines it to be a bit too low in volume to provoke a good response. .
Which Assistance routine are you doing with it? Boring But Big and The Triumvirate both have plenty of volume if set up right. If you're ONLY doing 5/3/1 with no assistance (what Wendler calls the Jack Sh*t variation in the ebook) then you will not get enough volume, but that setup is more for maintenance only.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:08 PM   #17
Nick Kirkes

Profile:

I know the thread is stale, but since I came across it, I thought I'd post to it:

Looking at starting a 5/3/1 cycle next week, but don't really want to give up WODs either. Wasn't there a discussion a long time ago about doing alternate lifting and WOD days in a 3 on/1 off cycle?

I'm considering the following ("W#" is equiv. to a 5/3/1 workout, 1 - 4 being the core lifts):

Week 1: W1, CF, W2, Off, CF, W3, CF
Week 2: Off, W4, CF, W1, Off, CF, W2
Week 3: CF, Off, W3, CF, W4, Off, CF

Etc. Etc.

Any thoughts? Anyone done anything like this with pros/cons after the fact?

N
Old 06-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #18
Kyal Sheumack

Profile:

I saw a great training log in the form of an excel spreadsheet that I've been unable to track down. Has anyone come across a good one?

Cheers,
Kyal
Old 06-06-2010, 08:32 PM   #19
Kyal Sheumack

Profile:

Scratch that. Finally found what I was after.

Here it is for those who are lazy like myself.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/8615840/Ji...ook-Calculator
You must indicate whether your links are Work and Family Safe (WFS).
Old 06-07-2010, 04:46 AM   #20
Ian Nigh

Profile:

hey, cool resource, thanks for that!