CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-15-2004, 01:14 PM   #1
Gary Mills

Profile:
Just wondering what resistance level you set the concept 2 at. I have been using level 10 figuring that the more resitance, the harder I'm working. If I set the resistance lower I can do a quicker time. Am I right in using the harder setting?

Regards,

Gary.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:59 PM   #2
Graham Hayes

Profile:
I think you set it according to your weight, I'm 165lb and have it set at 7-8. Heavier=higher lighter=lower.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:34 PM   #3
Scott Parker

Profile:
i don't think it really has anything to do with your bodyweight, but i could be wrong. someone here explained it a while ago so check the archives. i believe it works something like this: the higher the number you set it at, the harder it is to pull, but you will "glide" a greater distance than a lower number. if you set it at a lower number it is easier to pull but you won't go as far. also, if i remember correctly, don't most people set it between 2 and 3 at CF?

scott
Old 04-15-2004, 09:16 PM   #4
Tom Nunley

Profile:  
I row and at the club we set the resistance to between 3 and 4. This simulates the resistance of a rowing shell. If you want to simulate a heavier boat, such as a whaleboat or dory, set it to 6 to 8

That said, the guy who won my class (40yo to 49yo) at the Golden State Indoor Rowing Championships at the Sac State Aquatic Center last winter set his resistance to 10, and kicked everbody's *** by about 20 seconds. These were 2k sprints.

Perhaps he was a Crossfitter?

Old 04-16-2004, 12:32 PM   #5
Gary Mills

Profile:
Thanks for the replies guys.
It seems then that there is no hard and fast rule. Maybe I'll give it a try at alower resistance to see if it has any effect on my time over agiven disatnce.

Tom, I take it then that even in the competition you mention, that eveyone does not have to row to the same setting. If so then maybe the resistance has no effect on your speed.

Regards,

Gary.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:50 AM   #6
Tom Nunley

Profile:  
You are correct, Gary, you can set the resistance to whatever you want at the indoor rows.

There is a way to get a real value for the 'drag', as they call it, from the display. I believe it is a menu choice on the PM3 display, and it requires pressing and holding 2 buttons simultaneously on the PM2. Sadly, I don't remember which ones. The two right most, iirc.

I'm not sure how to relate resistance to speed on the infernal machine (or erg, as it is called by rowers)theoretically. I believe that at a higher resistance the fan moves more air so it slows down faster. It then takes more effort to speed it up again. How this affects your speed I don't know, so I think your empiracal test is the way to go.
Old 04-17-2004, 11:49 AM   #7
Ross Hunt

Profile:
When I rowed Crew for a couple years, we always set the dampers to 3-4. I think we did this for two reasons:
1) This resistance is, as Mr. Nunley mentioned, sport-specific.
2) Rowing at 3-4 allows you to really rate it up to acheive maximum aerobic conditioning with minimal impact on the muscles. The more strokes you divide a 2k up into, the shorter the period of time your muscle spends contracting on each stroke.

If the erg's purpose in the WODs is aerobic/anaerobic conditioning, I would set it at 3-4. Tabata rowing, in particular, is MUCH more effective at a lower damper setting for obvious reasons. If the erg is ever in a WOD for the sake of giving your quads a kick in the pants, though, maybe you could hike up the damper setting.

Ross Hunt