CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 03-30-2009, 06:08 PM   #1
Harry Palley

Profile:
The potential in gaming Fight Gone Bad

Ended up doing a little "experiment" today. Fight Gone Bad in the morning, and since I was feeling frisky, I went for another in the evening. My reasoning...

In this morning's FGB, I chose not to pace myself. Came into the first round guns blarin'. And yes, you guessed it... I paid dearly for it in the second and third round. Here's how the rounds went: 144, 103, 99 (346). Nearly a 33% drop from my first to third round.

Talking with some friends afterwards, we wondered if completely skipping over the rower would lead to a higher score. Being the Curious George I am, I had to find out how this would pan out. This is not to mention that I wasn't too pleased with my finish in the first FGB.

I set target goals for each exercise, and again decided to rest during the rowing station. I opted to start with the push presses, so that my new rest period would separate the remaining four stations. Here's how it went (with the pre-planned target numbers in parenthesis):
Box Jump (35)
Push Press (35)
Rest... this is the rowing station
Wall Ball (25)
SDHP (25)
Rest...

If I had maintained my target numbers throughout, I would have scored a 360. I came up short by 3 reps, after I fell behind on a few push presses and wall balls in the third round. But with a total of 357, I was able to increase my morning score by 11 reps.

Just food for thought. Initially, I had thought that I was shorting myself of the workout, but I don't think that's the case. Talking with my friend afterwards, he reminded me that the quantitive data that CrossFit workouts provide are the direct indicator of power output, or how hard we worked out.

Whether or not this is the case in FGB is tough to say, as we are now comparing exercises (10 points on the rower is definitely more strenuous than 10 push presses). But on a general note, I think that approach is definitely the way to go about every workout. Going "all out" and leaving yourself "drained" is all subjective... the hard data (points and score) doesn't lie. Beforehand, I had always battled between the two in my mind.

Thought I'd share... and yes, I'll be sleeping well tonight.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:42 PM   #2
Jeff S Johnson

Profile:
Re: The potential in gaming Fight Gone Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Palley View Post
Ended up doing a little "experiment" today. Fight Gone Bad in the morning, and since I was feeling frisky, I went for another in the evening. My reasoning...

In this morning's FGB, I chose not to pace myself. Came into the first round guns blarin'. And yes, you guessed it... I paid dearly for it in the second and third round. Here's how the rounds went: 144, 103, 99 (346). Nearly a 33% drop from my first to third round.

Talking with some friends afterwards, we wondered if completely skipping over the rower would lead to a higher score. Being the Curious George I am, I had to find out how this would pan out. This is not to mention that I wasn't too pleased with my finish in the first FGB.

I set target goals for each exercise, and again decided to rest during the rowing station. I opted to start with the push presses, so that my new rest period would separate the remaining four stations. Here's how it went (with the pre-planned target numbers in parenthesis):
Box Jump (35)
Push Press (35)
Rest... this is the rowing station
Wall Ball (25)
SDHP (25)
Rest...

If I had maintained my target numbers throughout, I would have scored a 360. I came up short by 3 reps, after I fell behind on a few push presses and wall balls in the third round. But with a total of 357, I was able to increase my morning score by 11 reps.

Just food for thought. Initially, I had thought that I was shorting myself of the workout, but I don't think that's the case. Talking with my friend afterwards, he reminded me that the quantitive data that CrossFit workouts provide are the direct indicator of power output, or how hard we worked out.

Whether or not this is the case in FGB is tough to say, as we are now comparing exercises (10 points on the rower is definitely more strenuous than 10 push presses). But on a general note, I think that approach is definitely the way to go about every workout. Going "all out" and leaving yourself "drained" is all subjective... the hard data (points and score) doesn't lie. Beforehand, I had always battled between the two in my mind.

Thought I'd share... and yes, I'll be sleeping well tonight.
But you've completely changed the dynamics of the workout. I don't know what it is, but it's no longer "Fight Gone Bad." FGB is of course designed to mimic the demands of an MMA fight. Which is (usually) three five minute rounds...and taking a minute rest right in the middle, well let's just say that doesn't happen.

To continue the MMA analogy, you can't come out guns blazing and completely punch yourself out in the first round. That'll get you beat. So, pacing FGB is acceptable. Just choosing to cut out the one part that's the hardest (to you) cannot be. Just one opinion, of course.

My Fran time would be smokin' if I could just rest for a little while instead of doing those pesky pullups, ya know?
Old 03-30-2009, 08:46 PM   #3
Tyler Smith

Profile:

I just change the name to Fight Gone Good and only do 1 Round... 60% of the time... it works every time.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:56 PM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I don't see that as being too too different from setting the damper on 1 and taking the rower station as easy as possible. Maybe he'll only burn 5 calories during each of the three minutes but it'll essentially function as a rest period, right? And if it allows him to increase his work output in each of the other stations, then is it really cheating? If the goal of the workout is maximum total reps, then this strategy meets that goal.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:07 AM   #5
Harry Palley

Profile:

I don't disagree that it changes the workout and its original intentions, but my goal here had nothing to do with that. I was looking for maximum points... yes, I had a second rest station, but in the end, it resulted in more points... in other words, the end justified the means.

If the workout called for a specific rep count on each exercise (like Fran), that's different. The final tally on FGB is total cumulative, and this would be a way to "game" for those total reps. Definitely doesn't make the workout "easier" per say... but rather in itself, more effecient.

This is not to say that the point system in FGB is perfect. 10 cals on the rower is without a doubt far more difficult than 10 push presses. But within the rules of the workout, I was able to attain a higher score by using this method.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:16 AM   #6
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"but in the end, it resulted in more points... in other words, the end justified the means"

The end is to be fitter. to be fitter you must adapt. To adapt, you must stress yourself. If you do not stress yourself, you will not be fitter.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:17 AM   #7
Stefan Still

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Smith View Post
I just change the name to Fight Gone Good and only do 1 Round... 60% of the time... it works every time.
That doesn't make any sense....
Old 03-31-2009, 10:33 AM   #8
Thomas Bailly

Profile:

The points are used to measure your fitness adaptations. Ok , so you discovered it's easier for you to get more points by resting instead of rowing.
While this might make you happier and give you the illusion of better fitness I think it just means you should row more.
If rowing takes it out of you, you need more rowing, not less. This is the point of "constantly varied etc,etc".
The workout you did is not FGB,if during your MMA fight you sat down for a round while the other guy pummeled you you would be in a world of hurt.
I think there are plenty of WODs that you could pace and strategize for max points and time etc, but I'd rather eat humble pie on points and apply max effort to see where I suck, and get better.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:39 AM   #9
Tyler Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Still View Post
That doesn't make any sense....
Exactly the point.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:29 AM   #10
Michael Wengloski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Smith View Post
Exactly the point.
He was making a follow up quote from the movie, not a statement.