CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-05-2009, 10:51 AM   #21
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: Squat Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post
Use the picture of the guy squatting on the cover of Starting Strength as your guide for Low Bar Back Squats for developing strength.
yep-

just get your hip crease below the knee... that's it. Nothing magical.

http://stronglifts.com/wp-content/up...t-deadlift.jpg
Old 03-05-2009, 12:27 PM   #22
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

See what worries me is that the way I've been doing it for so long is incorrect and it's going to be impossible to learn a new way.

Before I was creasing at the hips, but my wife said I'm practically bending over at the bottom and using my back to lift the bar back up while standing. Obviously this is very very wrong right?

So, the "correct" way is to load it up on the tops of my shoulders then follow the bar straight down below parallel right? That way I push up with my legs and don't have to "lift" my back and then stand up. Right?
Old 03-05-2009, 01:30 PM   #23
Oliver Gould

Profile:

Low bar and high bar squats are different movements. When you're doing a back squat, as long as you're keeping peak tension in the hamstrings your chest will incline forward the right amount (the bar wants to stay over the middle of the foot). Basically the low bar position allows you to push your butt back more (more hamstring engagement, more muscle, bigger squat) while the bar stays over the mid-foot. If your hamstrings are too tight, they will pull your butt under (butt wink) and you will be losing tension that should be used in moving the bar. If you want to do low bar back squats over a long range (and fully involve the hamstring, which is the point), you need long hamstrings. Probably your hamstrings are too tight.

I had/have a similar problem (back rounded at the bottom of a really deep squat, felt like I was muscling the weight up with my quads, questionable depth when I kept peak hamstring tension). I've gotten the most improvement from PNF stretches on the hamstring and regular (x3 a day) hip stretches. Once you master full ROM, you can decide whether you want to go for ROM or turn it around earlier (to get even more weight moved). You can change the point of peak tension by widening your stance.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:39 PM   #24
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Ok, what is a low back bar squat? I hold it on the top of my shoulders, what is that considered?

I mean I could do both from that position. I could follow the bar straight down and squat straight down without bending too much at the waist and I could push my butt out and kind of bend at the waist. Both felt fine and both taxed my legs (quads more than anything).
So I don't know which method is best for the way I hold the bar.

Maybe she was fresking out because while bending I wasn't keeping my back straight? I assume it's fine as long as your back stays straight however you end up.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:41 PM   #25
Chris Walls

Profile:

These questions are damn near impossible to answer without a video or some pictures.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:45 PM   #26
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Well I don't have any way to take video. I guess I can have my wife bring her camera and snap some photos of me squatting.

I'm thinking that maybe my core just isn't strong and thus my back isn't staight straight. I just called her and told her about the post and she confirmed what I said "The problem wasn't that you were bending so much as your back was bending."

I guess if you're doing a real deep squat it's really hard to keep your torso facing vertical.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:56 PM   #27
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Straight and vertical are two different things. You can have one without the other. Vertical is positioning with respect to the ground, straight is being in thoracic (upper back) and lordotic (lower back) extension.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:59 PM   #28
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Jason-
I agree with Chris- If you can't get videos, a series of several quick snapshots would be very helpful.

From what you are describing, it sounds like you are doing a good morning, with some kind of a deep knee bend???

This is a video of Andy Petranek doing a goodmorning (wfs)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3IshlFzKt8
Old 03-05-2009, 02:01 PM   #29
Chris Walls

Profile:

Most digital cameras can take videos. That would be plenty for a web based video. We don't need HD. But at the very least a shot of you at the bottom from the side, and maybe front/back at a 45.

Doesn't have to be heavy just grab a bar hit the bottom and have her take some pics. Once that is sorted out we can worry about the rest of it.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:02 PM   #30
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

No I don't bend over. I squat down, but when I get down my wife says I kind of push my chest forward too much in an attempt to push my butt out. So it kind of causes me to bend.

I really think I'm just going to start following the bar straight down. She said my squats were deep and my back was straight when I did that. So I'll try that and report back. I'll have her take some pics.

BTW our camera can't do video.