CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 02-16-2009, 06:34 AM   #1
George Mounce

Profile:
Have you ever missed a flight?

This woman missed her's, and well that is quite possibly the saddest and funniest reaction ever!

The video is in the news story found here:

(wfs) http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...-13762,00.html
Old 02-16-2009, 06:54 AM   #2
Frank Dennis

Profile:
Re: Have you ever missed a flight?

At first, I was laughing. And yeah, I have a hard time imagining a circumstance in which I'd completely lose it and throw a tantrum like that in public.

Then I thought, "Hey, we don't know the other side of this story." All sorts of thoughts started entering my brain at that point, like:

"What if her husband, or child, had been in an accident and was dying, and she knew if she missed her flight she wouldn't get there in time to say goodbye?"

Yeah, I still wouldn't lose it like that, but I can understand it.

Of course, it's entirely possible that she really was just throwing a tantrum over missing her flight... in which case it's really, really funny.

I've traveled for work quite a lot, and have missed a few flights, not because I failed to get there on time, but because the previous flight failed to get me there on time.

What I find funny is my own reaction to 90% of people in airports, because of course most people only fly a couple times per year, for vacations and the big family holidays. So, The folks who aren't comfortable at the self-serve kiosk annoy the crap out of me, or when they're in the security line and they don't already have their laptops out of their bags, shoes off, and are all ready to go.

Then I stop and laugh at myself.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:39 AM   #3
Jerry Mobbs

Profile:

That's a mild one.

Way back in 97 at Phnom Penh airport, the inbound flight from Hong Kong manages to lose the luggage (allegedly) the largest retailer of recreational drugs inthe country.

He's so angry he walks out to his car, grabs a gun and blows the tyres off the plane!
Old 02-16-2009, 08:40 AM   #4
Marc Tower

Profile:

The people that amaze me are passengers who get mad when the pilots or mechanics find a mechanical fault with the aircraft before take-off. Seriously?

As a pilot, I'm quite content to find a problem while still on the ground. I'd much prefer to deal with the there than in the air (George, can I get an amen?). I've done it both ways, problem solving with the wheels (or skids) on the ground is much, much easier!
Old 02-16-2009, 09:25 AM   #5
Kurt Armbruster

Profile:

Came close once.

Last June, I was in Charleston, SC for a field trip/course. On the last day, my flight was booked for later in the afternoon, and the rest of the day was free. After spending all week staring at the USS Yorktown at Patriot's Point (WFS) it was a must-see (I've always been a land locked civilian, and the Canadian Navy has no carriers). Spent a couple of hours on the Yorktown, and a rushed tour through the Clamagore (about the same tech as our "advanced" subs) and I had to run to catch the water-taxi back to the Charleston. (400 m run for time -- and just in time!)

I've still got about 2.5 hours left, but the run left me a bit sweaty, and I was on my last shirt. Into the shopping district for a new shirt, and on my way back to the hotel, the skies opened up! At least I had brought my raingear with me to Patriot's Point!

A quick change under a shop's awening and back to the hotel with at least 2 hours to go.

Order a cab, change, quick wash-the-pits in the restroom, and then I wait. And wait. And wait.

Finally with less than an hour to wheels-up, a cab shows up at the hotel. Hop in the cab, explain the situation, and they've got another fare in it, who at least is on the way to the airport.

I ask how much the ride will cost, and if they take credit cards, since I've only got $5 in cash. Cash only!

They drop off the other fare, and we hit up a shell station with "Out of Gas" signs all over the place. I run inside to use the cash machine to grab some money and they're out of cash too!

Drive to another gas station and their cash machine has a huge line up. Tick. Tock. Less than 45 minutes to wheels-up, and we're no where near the airport!

That cash machine works, so I hop back in the cab, and they drive to the airport (for time). We got there with 30 minutes left. Luckily, the check-in counter let be on the flight, and there was no line at the security check-in. If Charleston's airport had been any bigger, I would not have been so lucky.

In the end, I was only at the gate long enough to buy a snack and a bottle of water before they started boarding. I never want to cut it that close again!
Old 02-16-2009, 11:29 AM   #6
Henry Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Tower View Post
As a pilot, I'm quite content to find a problem while still on the ground. I'd much prefer to deal with the there than in the air (George, can I get an amen?). I've done it both ways, problem solving with the wheels (or skids) on the ground is much, much easier!
As a passenger, I'm tired of flying. If the plane exploded in mid-air and killed me, it would be better than finishing the rest of the flight. Not better than the rest of my plans for the trip, but better than flying.

Unfortunately all my alternatives are slower, and just as boring, so I fly anyway. However I keep wishing for something to spice things up.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:22 PM   #7
Giles Clarke

Profile:

Here’s another “almost” story:
I was in college and had just finished my last exam of the fall semester. I had a flight out the next day to begin winter break. My friends and I decided t go out that night to celebrate. Knowing that I would likely be in no shape to do anything when I returned, I packed my bags, laid out my cloths and set my alarm clock for the next morning all prior to heading out for the night.
My flight was at 10:00am, so I set my alarm for 7:30am. That gave me 30 minutes to get up and dressed, an hour to hail a cab and drive to the airport with traffic and an hour for security and check in. We went out, had a great time and returned home. Knowing that I had set everything up the night before I flopped onto my bed and promptly passed out (ah, college life).
The next morning my alarm clock woke me up and I glanced over to see 09:00 blinking at me! It took a second for this to register, but when it did; I shot out of bed like a rocket. I threw on my clothes, grabbed my bags, sprinted downstairs and hailed a cab. The ride out to BWI seemed to take forever and I thought I would miss the flight. I pulled to the curb at 0935 and threw my bags at the curbside check in guy. He handed me my boarding pass and I sprinted to the gate. I got there, literally, as they were closing the door. When I sat down on the plane and the feeling of relief washed over me I started running through scenarios of how this could have happened. Was there a power outage last night? Did my drunken butt get out of bed and change the time? Had I been hitting the snooze button the entire time? I finally chalked it up as an error on my part as we took off.
It wasn’t until a few weeks late when I returned from the winter break. One of my roommates and I chatted about our respective breaks and then he asked, “Oh, by the way, did you make your flight on time?”
“Yeah, I did, but just barely. Why?”
“Well, when we came home that night and you passed out in your bed we knew you had a flight the next morning so we set your alarm for you.”
“Oh…great….thanks”
How can you get mad at friends who would be worrying about you missing your flight the next morning, even when they were 3 times more intoxicated than you were? They’re still my two best friends to this day.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:17 PM   #8
Bob Schmidt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles Clarke View Post
It wasn’t until a few weeks late when I returned from the winter break. One of my roommates and I chatted about our respective breaks and then he asked, “Oh, by the way, did you make your flight on time?”
“Yeah, I did, but just barely. Why?”
“Well, when we came home that night and you passed out in your bed we knew you had a flight the next morning so we set your alarm for you.”
“Oh…great….thanks”
How can you get mad at friends who would be worrying about you missing your flight the next morning, even when they were 3 times more intoxicated than you were? They’re still my two best friends to this day.

Those are some great friends, lol.

I've never been particularly close to missing a flight, though other people with me have been. The other week I was heading out to Winnipeg for a conference with a large contingent of co-workers. We all car-pooled in 4 different cars. The 1st car to get there, loaded with 4 of our girls, was there about 20 minutes before anyone else. They got checked in and headed to security (MASSIVE lineup). They made it through and went straight to the Starbucks as it was about 5am. Problem arose though after we'd boarded - the girls were nowhere in sight and the flight attendants were getting ready to close up. They waited an extra 3 or 4 minutes, and just as they were telling my bosses they couldn't wait any longer, the girls sauntered onto the plane, all holding coffees and snacks. The plane gave them an ovation and we got underway. My bosses were *not* impressed.

And Frank - I'm with you. I fly at least 4 times a year going between school and my parents or on vacations, so I know the routine fairly well at the security checkpoint. I get quite annoyed when people fail to read any of the signs or listen to any of the security staffers who are telling people what to remove from their persons. Flying home for Christmas this year I got stuck behind SIX straight people who failed to remove any of their jewlery, left on their heavy work-type boots or failed to take their laptops out of their bags. After the third person laughed at their friend and spread for the wand I wanted to strangle someone. Imagine my fury after the 4th, 5th and 6th person...
Old 02-20-2009, 07:06 PM   #9
Frank Dennis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Schmidt View Post

Those are some great friends, lol.

I've never been particularly close to missing a flight, though other people with me have been. The other week I was heading out to Winnipeg for a conference with a large contingent of co-workers. We all car-pooled in 4 different cars. The 1st car to get there, loaded with 4 of our girls, was there about 20 minutes before anyone else. They got checked in and headed to security (MASSIVE lineup). They made it through and went straight to the Starbucks as it was about 5am. Problem arose though after we'd boarded - the girls were nowhere in sight and the flight attendants were getting ready to close up. They waited an extra 3 or 4 minutes, and just as they were telling my bosses they couldn't wait any longer, the girls sauntered onto the plane, all holding coffees and snacks. The plane gave them an ovation and we got underway. My bosses were *not* impressed.

And Frank - I'm with you. I fly at least 4 times a year going between school and my parents or on vacations, so I know the routine fairly well at the security checkpoint. I get quite annoyed when people fail to read any of the signs or listen to any of the security staffers who are telling people what to remove from their persons. Flying home for Christmas this year I got stuck behind SIX straight people who failed to remove any of their jewlery, left on their heavy work-type boots or failed to take their laptops out of their bags. After the third person laughed at their friend and spread for the wand I wanted to strangle someone. Imagine my fury after the 4th, 5th and 6th person...
6'5" and 242lbs? Dude, I don't think I'd want to be on the receiving end when you vent the kind of frustration that can engender. LOL
Old 02-20-2009, 07:49 PM   #10
Emily Maisannes

Profile:

I have only ever missed flights because of delayed incoming flights where I didn't make the connection, until a few weeks ago. I was coming back from Phoenix and they played the Longhorns the day before. I had a 1030 flight or something like that. I got there plenty early and was strolling in the airport at 0900. I looked at the security line and I knew that the day would be that fateful day. There was no way I was going to make my flight. I had in front of me throngs of hung over and some still mildly intoxicated Longhorns fans in front of me. It seemed none of them flew more than once a year, quite possibly only to this game. I missed my flight by about a minute. The plane was still at the gate.

Off to the customer (dis)service counter I went. I asked for any flight into the metro DC area. She said there was nothing available for that day. WHAT??? There are THREE airports in the area and ALL of them are booked? She looked at me befuddled and said there were only two. I guess she didn't consider Baltimore-WASHINGTON International Airport as a WASHINGTON area airport. People are dumb at times. I got into BWI at just past 2300.

As for the ease of going through the security line and knowing the drill, I haven't had a single month without flying in nearly three years now.