CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-03-2003, 12:32 PM   #1
Matt Cullen

Profile:

Hi,

Iam a big believer in Pavel's "grease the grove"

After reading info such as the article on pull ups for Marines the guy there says go to maxium all the time. I have had great success on "grease the grove" with out really trying as I am never going to failure, although sometimes I feel like I am wimping out by not going to failure.

Would be interesting to hear some views and success storys relating to training this way for pull ups.

Thanks Matt Cullen
Old 04-03-2003, 06:30 PM   #2
Geoff Sample

Profile:

Matt - if you're talking about the Armstrong pullup program, it does ask you to go to failure quite a bit. The last time I used it was to try to get up to 12 pullups with a 20 kilo plate as ballast.

I don't train to failure in other movements, but seemed to do fine with this program as long as I didn't try to really fry myself (in other words, if I really didn't feel like I had another good rep in me, that was failure). Some days I might have had another one left in reserve when I stopped, and quite a few times I stalled out on the last rep, thinking I had more than I did in the tank, or just barely grinded the last one out...I progressed on this program quite well.

I don't think you need to feel like a wimp if you never go to failure. If you're making progress, who can argue with that? If you're stuck at like 11 pullups and want more, you might want to mix it up a little bit to find what works for you.

But, if you never fail, how do you know how many pullups you can do?