CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 11-17-2008, 08:47 AM   #1
Bruce Duco

Profile:
What type of massage would you recommend?

I've never had a massage before, but this week I'm getting a big bonus check and figured I'd treat myself. The spa that my wife goes to offers a couple of different options:

Swedish
Deep tissue
Shiatsu
Organic

Since Xfitters punish themselves, should I go for the deep tissue? Or would that be too much for someone who is new to massage?

And yes, I did use the search function, but I didn't find what I was looking for.

Thanks.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:23 AM   #2
James Withington

Profile:
Re: What type of massage would you recommend?

Erotic massage.

Failing that, definitely a deep tissue sports massage.

Most other types of massage tend to be aimed at relaxation and holistic type healing. Deep tissues massage is very much more effective and clinically proven at helping to improve recovery, promote good injury repair, improve general health of soft tissue (adhesion and trigger point therapy). For someone who gives their body a battering on a regular basis through Crossfit, it's definitely the best option.

It might not be nice and relaxing all the time (in fact trigger point therapy and particularly work on adhesions can be downright excruciating!), but it works.

I wouldn't worry about whether you're new to massage or anything like that, having your adhesions frictioned never gets any less painful!
Old 11-27-2008, 11:49 AM   #3
Christian Lemburg

Profile:

Self-massage.

Learn it, and get relief instantly without having to pay large sums of money or wait for appointments.

See http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=27539 for why and how to massage.

Regards,

Christian
Old 11-27-2008, 09:31 PM   #4
John Crocker

Profile:

Go with the deep tissue. It hurts a little but it really works all the soreness and toxins out of your muscles. Just be sure to ask for someone who is good at deep tissue because the last time I had one it felt almost the same as a swedish. Hope this helps.