CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 10-13-2008, 11:00 AM   #1
Jerry Martin

Profile:
Massage and Chiro

How often if ever do any of you get either a massage or adjusted by a chiropractor?

I teach/train in MA and do crossfit as well. It's not a matter of pain for me, I'm always in pain somewhere. It's a matter of degree of pain.

I had a massage today and then I went to the Chiro and I feel great now. Should I be going more often? The last trip to either was about 5 months ago.

Jerry
Old 10-13-2008, 01:37 PM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Massage and Chiro

When I went to the chiro, he said it would probably take about 2 months to fix things and I wouldn't have to go back. It was his opinion that it was to fix all the wrong things and teach new muscle memory ( like sleeping position causes all sorts of muscle imbalances while sleeping on your side or front [ throwing shoulders or hips/lumbar out of whack]). Bare in mind, I had/have quite a lot of imbalances. I've been able to work out most of the kinks in my shoulder myself, but as for leg/hip alignment issues and the final part of my right shoulder that will have to wait until I can go again.

From there, it's a matter of adjustments perhaps every 2-3 months, perhaps monthly. I think if one were to be active enough not just in physical activity but in stretching/relaxing the need is less ( i.e. foam rolling, massage, stretching but not necessarily stretching to gain flexibility rather maintainance ).

However, I think by in enlarge many people who do nothing on their own time and just rely on massage and chiros to loosen their own body might have to go in more frequently. I can only imagine how tight my friends are that do nothing to loosen up are ( simple squats, hanging on a bar, loosening shoulders ).
Old 10-13-2008, 06:18 PM   #3
Wade Smith

Profile:

Fairly expensive without awesome health coverage. Even so, I'm on a trigger point massage schedule for once a month. Helps alot.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:05 PM   #4
Theresa Meyer

Profile:

I was going to a chiro and getting massages once a week in May/June because of a couple of aggravating active trigger points that reared their ugly heads after rotator cuff surgery. It helped a great deal, and I stopped having headaches too! It was expensive, but I don't think you can put a price on feeling good--in a healthy way, of course.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:49 AM   #5
Henry Miller

Profile:

Depends on what they do. Massage feels great, and can help loosten things up. This should always be a first choice - I'm not aware of any harm a massage can do, and it is cheaper. I consider a massage once in a while a treat (I'm too cheap to buy one, but I've come close more than once).

Chiro's can fix a lot of lower back issues, but they are not doctors even though they often give medical advice not related to back pain (of course doctors are not a perfect answer either). Be careful of their advice, sometimes it is good, sometimes bad. If a chiro touches you above the shoulders, your chances of a stroke are higher than normal - most do not know (much less tell you) this so you have to watch yourself. However they can work wonders for lower back issues, so if that fits you, then you should see one. There is also some reason to suspect many of those who had a stroke would have had one anyway, the chiropractor just made it happen sooner - so if neck pain is a problem check with a real doctor.

http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quackery...irostroke.html (wfs)
http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quackery...chiroeval.html (wfs)

Last edited by Henry Miller : 10-14-2008 at 09:52 AM. Reason: add WFS
Old 10-14-2008, 09:55 AM   #6
Lynne Pitts

Profile:

Please note that "quackwatch" is an extremely biased site with a non-subtle agenda; it is NOT neutral reporting.

Please folks, let's not degenerate into a debate of the "chiro is a doc"/ "is not" - another of those pseudo-religious topics in which there will be much heat, little light, and a quick end.

And now, back to the regularly scheduled discussion....
Old 10-14-2008, 05:07 PM   #7
Jared Buffie

Profile:

Lynne,

Not trying to start a war, just clarify a point:

From the Journal of Spinal Surgery, Feb 15th 2008 (re: neck adjustments and stroke):

Conclusion:

"There was no increased association between chiropractic visits and VBA stroke in those older than 45 years."

For full abstract, check here (wfs);

http://www.spinejournal.com/pt/re/sp...195629!8091!-1
Old 10-14-2008, 05:38 PM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

If you read into the founding religo-philosophical points some can be very nutty to say in the least. There are a few different schools of chiropractics now, so do your homework.

I found out if fascinating how the chiro I was at could relate tension in certain spots of my body in relation to each other. When one was worked on, the other had a result.

I especially noticed there was a lot of tension on the right side of my skull and this had to do with the tension and how screwed up my right shoulder ( seperated shoulder once upon a time that didn't ever get fixed because I thought it was a rotator cuff tear ).
Old 10-15-2008, 05:32 AM   #9
Jerry Martin

Profile:

Thanks for the great responses as usual guys and gals.

Even though it was kind of expensive, I felt that I needed to do it. It was $65 for the massage (70 minutes) and $35 for the chiro (15 minutes).

I did them back to back so I was super relaxed for my adjustments.

Since it is so expensive I try to go only when I'm absolutely in need of it. But the reason for my post was to find out if other people here feel that it's an important part of their "maintainance" as far as health is concerned.

For the validity of chiro, I've been to several in the past. The one I'm seeing now is the first one to take an active interest in what's causing my problems and how to solve it so it goes away. I've been happy with his level of intuition and have been much improved since going to see him. I generally go every 4-6 months.

Thanks again, Jerry
Old 10-15-2008, 06:20 AM   #10
Wade Smith

Profile:

Jerry and others,

Look into whether your health care provider offers discounts at local massage therapists and chiropractors. I'm a Kaiser Permanente member here in CA and found the website that linked to both. They aren't paid by Kaiser but offer the discounts (and allow their name to be listed/affiliated w/ Kaiser) due to the extra visibility and referrals that come by way of new business.

For instance, my massage therapist (who I selected because she is close and does trigger point) offers a Kaiser discount of $45/hr. Not bad when everyone else is paying $65/70/hr.

Look into it depending on your provider.