CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-08-2008, 10:32 AM   #1
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Unusual low-back rehab protocol in WL Encyclopedia

Hello folks,

I recently bought the Weightlifting Encyclopedia by Arthur Drechsler (on sale at ironmind).

He says he had a nearly debilitating low-back injury and that he sort of figured out a rehab protocol on his own (he was to the point where he was considering giving up WL, at age 21). He would take a barbell and use that to force a stretch by bending forward in a stiff-legged deadlift format.

He would do a few reps, feel better and go about his business. At first he would be in pain again in an hour or so and he would repeat it. This would go on for a few days until he was seemingly fixed as it were.

When he would re-injure his back, he would repeat it. He said a few others had success with it also.

To those of us familiar with the McKenzie Method this would seem a horrible thing to do. But I guess it means he didn't have the typical disc-type injury.

Any idea what injury he likely had? Has anyone ever heard of this type of protocol and what is going on here?

Thank you,

howard
Old 06-08-2008, 10:56 AM   #2
Leslie Powell

Profile:
Re: Unusual low-back rehab protocol in WL Encyclopedia

I know someone who trains w/him and will ask them to try to find out, but I know the book and recall that Drechsler is pretty emphatic about not recommending this for anyone else. He's just recounting what helped him.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:26 PM   #3
Aaron Gainer

Profile:
Re: Unusual low-back rehab protocol in WL Encyclopedia

This doesn't sound so far fetched from the bill starr rehab method. The lightweight and higher reps that this guy probably does helps increase the circulation in the area affected. By doing higher reps, your forcing the blood in the damaged area, trying to rebuild the tissue much stronger than before.

Keep in mind this is usually done after 3-4 days when the acute pain is gone. Whether you perform a rehab in this fashion is entirely up to you. My main concern would be where the weak link is in the system that caused the back injury. Once you find it, strengthen it making it your priority and back off a bit on your main exercises till it gets fixed.