CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-19-2005, 07:58 AM   #1
Gregory Spilson

Profile:
The newest entry on his website is in response to viewer's questions regarding Matt Furey's advocation for bridging, hindu pushups, etc.. He asserts that all of the bridging is dangerous to the pars section of the neural tube. He also makes note that female gymnasts (not sure why male gymnasts are not included) have been known to break this "area" from too much flexion/extension. So.....First off, was wondering what/where exactly the pars section is, and secondly if his claim is true. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:00 AM   #2
Roger Harrell

Profile:
My guess is when that bridging is done in the back, not in the shoulders. I could see extreeme lower back flexion potentially causing problems. Though I've not personally ever seen this occur, and having coached some gymnasts with extreeme flexibility in the lower back.

The reason male gymnasts are likely not included is that we don't do nearly as much walkover type work. Often we specifically avoid walkovers... Heh.

His claim may be true, but exceedingly rare, and probably due to improper excecution.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:41 AM   #3
William Hunter

Profile:
The pars interarticularis is part of the posterior elements of the lumbar spine, which house the spinal cord. The L5 pars is known to be a site for stress fracture. My guess is that it would take a ton of bridging to cause that to occur. Some unlucky folks are born with pars defects, which makes stability issues more likely.

In X-ray anatomy lingo...look for the "Scotty Dog" to have a broken neck.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:25 PM   #4
Kalen Meine

Profile:
Oh look, DeVany's shooting his mouth off again. ;-) Nah, he has a smattering of fine ideas, but he does make stuff up from time to time. I just don't think that a move like that, what with the ensuing muscle tension (and thus load sharing and stabilization) that it'd be a frequent problem. I mean, I'm sure someone's done it, but I know my share of female gymnasts, and they've been busted up from time to time, but not like that.