CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 02-17-2008, 11:53 AM   #11
Martin Schap

Profile:
Re: First Murph tomorrow -- any tips?

The workout description says you can "partition" the cals any way you want. (Obviously) few if any people can do 100 pull-ups as a single set, let alone follow that performance with a single set of 200 push-ups and a single set of 300 squats. Therefore, the only sane way to read the word partition is as a synonym for "interleave." If you look at a WOD like "Angie" there will be nobody who can do all of the exercises as a single set of 100, yet Coach does not feel the need to give us permission to break up the sets. Breaking them up is Rx'd, though not specified. In "Murph," since partitioning is specified, we can only assume that the exercises are not intended to be done "Angie" style. IMO, anyone who says that doing them straight through is Rx'd needs to stop reading so much into it.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:22 PM   #12
Shane Skowron

Profile:

The Murph is fun. It's probably my highest-scoring Crossfit WOD.
I partition the cals Cindy-style when I do the Murph, which means I do 20 rounds. Doing 20 straight rounds as fast as possible is not very motivating so what I like to do is get 5 rounds done, take a sip of water, 5 more rounds and water, and so forth until I'm finished. Try to do a negative split on the last mile, meaning don't go too hard the first half mile so you can recover from the squats and then really pick it up the second half of the last mile.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:44 PM   #13
Rachel Izzo

Profile:

Well I did it, and WOW. What was cool is we had someone there that knew the actual Lt. Murphy, which was motivating. He did it with a vest.
I ended up doing Cindy style, so 20 rounds. 10th round in I couldn't believe I was only halfway. Did the entire workout in 45:43. Not amazing, but my miles were the most consistent out of everyone (7:23, and 7:56) which was good. Plus I was the youngest one there by far, and most of the people there were trainers. But it was a good experience! Especially in a group. I'll probably be feeling it tomorrow, though ...
Old 02-17-2008, 03:48 PM   #14
Jeff Yan

Profile:

Once you've done Murph, you'll realize it's not nearly as intimidating as you think (disclaimer: I've only done it once w/o vest). Maybe if you think about it as a warm up mile jog, 20 rounds of Cindy, and a warm down mile jog, it won't seem so daunting.

At my affiliate, one of our members I believe knew Murph from high school. He posts here and I'll leave it to him to chime in if he chooses.

There should actually be no debate as to whether or not RXed means to do each exercise before moving onto the next one. If you read the actual WOD description, it says plain as day what was intended. If someone wants to do it "Angie-style", then they can go ahead, but don't let anybody tell you otherwise that you have to do it unpartitioned. If anything, the weight vest is more key to the RX than the partitioning.

edit: Okay, I'm an idiot. I didn't realize that you already did it before I started writing my post.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:24 PM   #15
Bill Scott

Profile:

I did Murph on my 50th birthday, about 18 months ago. For me 5/10/15 was the way to go. I was able to keep moving without a break until the 17 round. The last mile was the real challenge for me. I didn't realize how jello-like my legs would be after all those squats. Good Luck.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:21 PM   #16
Rachel Izzo

Profile:

Yeah Cindy style was the best way to do it. The pushups REALLY slowed me down, though. I didn't need a break for anything, except the pushups. I say I did it Cindy style, but by the 5th round, I had to break the pushups up. I could crank out 5 pullups and 15 squats no problem, but still had to break down the pushups. Even the mile run afterwards wasn't terrible. Wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible, although I could barely breath. My muscles were just tired by then I could barely swing my arms. Legs weren't bad, arms were mush. I guess I just have to improve my pushups, which is odd because I can do a good amount of pushups for someone my age. Ah well. There's always room for improvement.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:00 PM   #17
Martin Schap

Profile:

That is not a bad effort. Nice job with the consistent run times. I struggle with that. I've had a 5:30-ish first mile and an 8 minute second mile before. As promised, I thought of you when I finished Elizabeth, but I have to say that she was in a NASTY mood today. Got my worst time ever. Maybe I shouldn't have implied she was easy. A lot of girls are sensitive about that.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:04 PM   #18
Rachel Izzo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Schap View Post
That is not a bad effort. Nice job with the consistent run times. I struggle with that. I've had a 5:30-ish first mile and an 8 minute second mile before. As promised, I thought of you when I finished Elizabeth, but I have to say that she was in a NASTY mood today. Got my worst time ever. Maybe I shouldn't have implied she was easy. A lot of girls are sensitive about that.
Haha nice. Which one is Elizabeth again? I have to say I haven't done many of the girls. They scare me too much ...

It'll be interesting to see if I can walk tomorrow. I also ate like a horse today. In zone proportions, of course, except like 500000x fat because I was so hungry. Ah well. Back to normal tomorrow.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:04 PM   #19
Gina Johnson

Profile:

Wow Rachel, great job on the run . You're so fortunate to be doing CF at such a young age.

Great advice on Murphy, can't wait to do it now!
Old 02-20-2008, 03:12 PM   #20
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Rachel, I believe the reps are to be done straight through as in 100 pull-ups, then 200 push-ups, then 300 squats. Doing them "Cindy style" will get the reps done faster with a better metabolic punch, but to my knowledge, that's not how they're supposed to be done.

Martin, I don't know, this is the way I've always heard the workout is supposed to be done. I see no trouble mixing it up, however, since variety is the spice of - well, in this case, Crossfit.

Last edited by Derek Maffett : 02-20-2008 at 03:19 PM.