CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-07-2005, 02:43 PM   #1
Jeff Padgett

Profile:  
I have not herd anyone talk about size gains with crossfit. Is this the right workout for me if I want to gain some serious size? I am interested in gaining musclae mass along with strength. My reason being that I will lose interest in working out if I do not see myself growing the in the mirror (guess its kind of vain of me) I know how to get strong and lean I am more interested in getting strong and big.

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:11 PM   #2
Peter Galloway

Profile:

Jeff,

There is lots of stuff on the boards about this - a search of "size gains" came up with plenty of threads, including this:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/4601.html

The common experience is that, with the right diet, CF is second only to Steroid-aided bodybuilding in increasing muscle mass - plus, with CrossFit you get elite fitness too! I think the choice is obvious...

BTW, don't make any apologies for vanity, most people if they're honest are at least partly working out to look good with no shirt on!

Old 04-07-2005, 03:16 PM   #3
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Before CF I was 190 (6' 4"), I started creatine with my workouts and got to 195 after I cycled off the creatine.

I was happy enough with that.

Started CF a couple of months later. . . In about three months I was a Solid 210. I had muscles I didn't know existed in my body.

Now that I have been dieting on The Zone, I have cut my body fat down, but retained the muscle.

If you want strength and performance CrossFit is for you.

*Results may vary, if you already have a lot of mass, you might end up loosing some muscle (as some serious power lifters and bodybuilders have found).
Old 04-07-2005, 03:22 PM   #4
Josh Brehm

Profile:
If you want to gain a lot of size, at the VERY least, crossfit is a good addition to your regular weight lifting. Though I'd make sure to change up your weight lifting routine to work around the WOD's and their rest days (3 days on 1 day off).
Old 04-07-2005, 04:44 PM   #5
Chris Forbis

Profile:
Upon starting zone/crossfit, I dropped around 10 pounds of fat. I have since gained back 10 pounds of pretty much pure muscle. So it worked for me.

Granted, I NEEDED that muscle gain. I'm a bean pole... currently 6'3.5", 175#.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:21 PM   #6
Jeff Padgett

Profile:  
Thanks for the info guys.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:51 PM   #7
Steven Stackpole

Profile:
Hey Jeff
At 6'1", 258, the last thing I wanted to do when I started crossfit 3 mos. ago was get any larger.
Its worked perfect for me. I've managed to stay, under 260, lose the little bit of "baby fat" that I had, and thats been replaced with more strength.
The only thing Ive done any different is start taking whey protein regularly.
Steveo
Old 04-07-2005, 09:30 PM   #8
Justin Jacobsen

Profile:

If you are a Ronnie Coleman wannabe, then I don't think this program is for you. What CF will do, is optimize your strength to weight ratio in order to allow you to generate maximum power in a broad range of efforts. In most cases, this means that people will rapidly gain a certain amount of lean muscle mass, and then the gains will begin to taper off until equalibrium is reached. In other cases (as has been mentioned) some lean muscle mass will be shed by the body in order for it to maximize the strength/weight ratio for the things we do.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:03 AM   #9
Pat Janes

Profile:

I kinda think that CrossFit and a sensible diet is more likely to cause you to morph into the size and shape you were meant to be.

That may mean a considerable amount of muscle gain for some. Others, not so much.

I know that for myself, I seem destined to be on the "smaller" side. I'm currently about 65kg, and have floated around that weight for most of my adult life.

But that 65kg is now about 7-8% bodyfat instead of the 13-15% it used to be.

I do know that I keep getting stronger in pretty much every way and that's far more important to me than what size shirt I wear (although just a few more kilos of lean muscle wouldn't hurt, particularly on my chicken-legs).
Old 04-08-2005, 06:24 AM   #10
John Walsh

Profile:
From Lynne Pitt's FAQ:

"If you train the WODs hard, and eat right and get lots of sleep, you will definitely gain lean mass, lose fat, and yes, you can build muscle mass with the crossfit protocol. More specifically, according to Coach, Here is a hierarchy of training for mass from greater to lesser efficacy:
1. Bodybuilding on steroids
2. CrossFitting on steroids
3. CrossFitting without steroids
4. Bodybuilding without steroids
The bodybuilding model is designed around, requires, steroids for significant hypertrophy.
The neuroendocrine response of bodybuilding protocols is so blunted that without "exogenous hormonal therapy" little happens.
The CrossFit protocol is designed to elicit a substantial neuroendocrine whollop and hence packs an anabolic punch that puts on impressive amounts of muscle though that is not our concern. Strength is.
Natural bodybuilders (the natural ones that are not on steroids) never approach the mass that our ahtletes do. They don't come close.
Those athletes who train for function end up with better form than those who value form over function. This is one of the beautiful ironies of training."