CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 11-26-2007, 06:18 AM   #11
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Re: Watches

Darrell, I find the Suunto hard to operate, not very intuitive, and I loose the numbers if I look at the dial at an angle. I always look at digital watches and wonder why companies just don't flat out steal from Timex. I use the three alarms (wake up, if I over sleep, and get downstairs and workout) daily. I set the alarms so they only go off Monday - Friday. The light works as a touch, or touch and leave on for 15 seconds or so. The countdown timers can be set for Tabata's. A long push, takes you from any mode to a peek at the time. The OVA (while it looks weird for everyday wear) is perfect for lifting, as the buttons don't get pushed inadvertently. I've had GShocks, Oakley's, and others and none of them have all the useful features of the Ironman. When traveling, I decide on which nice watch to bring, the Ironman always comes. I could stop buying watches anytime I want, really I could...I just don't want to, but I could, really (Kind of like the specops watch, pretty cool).
Old 11-26-2007, 09:14 AM   #12
Spencer Provow

Profile:

yea i have been leaning torwards the omega.. i really like the way they look, and i have never really heard anything neative about them!
Old 11-26-2007, 10:27 AM   #13
Daniel Fannin

Profile:

Speaking of metal bands, something to think about is a detachable watch band. Depending on how you're going to get 'dirty,' like, are you going to do something that the watch band is going to catch on? When I'm...uh...'getting dirty' I only wear one that will break if I get it caught on something. That way it doesn't fillet my hand, break my wrist or otherwise keep me from escaping a burning aircraft (or something of that nature).

My two cents.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:43 AM   #14
James Reynolds

Profile:

I can tell you one I am not too happy with... I got a Bulova Marine Star as a gift a while back, and while it looks nice, the band is not well made. Just clapping at a sporting event makes it come loose.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:03 PM   #15
Garrett Smith

Profile:

My Timex OVA has become my all-the-time watch. They are at a nice price on EBay.

I figure that the OVA, being a little "strange", will go great with my Vibram FiveFingers and my eventual Utilikilts!
Old 11-26-2007, 04:02 PM   #16
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

I've got a $30 Casio from Sports Authority, and I love it. It works great for all my workout timing needs.

Count down:
- Set a countdown time for it, it beeps for 10 seconds after hitting 0.
- Has the ability to automatically restart the countdown after each hit. (So, set the timer for 0:30 with cycling, start Tabata when it gets to 0:20. When it hits 0:00, it jumps to 0:30 and beeps for 10 seconds, your rest time, and then it's back at 0:20.)
- Has the ability to beep once on every minute down (ie. in Cindy at 19:00, 18:00, 17:00,...), then at every ten seconds down in the last minute (1:00, 0:50, 0:40,...) and then a final 5...4...3...2...1 beep at the end. It'd also work for Fight Gone Bad.

Count up:
- Has the option to start on a 5 second delay, which it counts down for (so you can get into position to begin the sprint/WOD).
- Has the option to do a ten second beep when it reaches a certain time. (eg. You want to get a 1:00 400m sprint, so set it to beep at 0:50. When it gets there, it will beep at 0:51, 0:52, 0:53... and let you know to really push for that last bit.)

It also has the month, day, and weekday, which is nice.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:35 PM   #17
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Just looked at the OVA...pretty cool. It's got a second time zone, too, so it meets my criteria. I can get it...sure I can...hmmm...let me ask my wife...

Garrett, nice disclaimer at the bottom of your comments. 'bout time!
Old 11-27-2007, 05:58 AM   #18
Don Woodson

Profile:

I'm kinda partial to my Invicta dive watch. Automatic, screw down collar, scratch proof crystal (they didn't let a mechanic test it though), one way bezel. Looks a lot like a certain Rolex I've seen, but a whole lot cheaper: (W/FS) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ternetporta-20
My one complaint would be the illumination media, which they call Tritnite. The stuff doesn't stay bright very long.
I only have this one Invicta, but I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

Last edited by Don Woodson : 11-27-2007 at 06:02 AM.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:19 PM   #19
Mike Groth

Profile:

Considering the watches you are considering I doubt that you would like mine very much...but I do love it. http://www.movado.com/Details.aspx?I...=605803&page=6 I do get a lot of compliments on it and I love the way Movado watches look. I like simplicity...to each his own.

Whatever you choose I hope you enjoy it.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:07 PM   #20
Spencer Provow

Profile:

Mike that is a bit different... but that is very sleek!