CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 11-25-2007, 02:49 PM   #1
Spencer Provow

Profile:
Watches

i graduate from college here in a few weeks and for graduation/christmas i am getting a watch.. what should i get? what do you all have? i was thinking about an omega, but i found these.. http://specialopswatch.com/ has anyone heard anything about these watches i really like a couple of them
Old 11-25-2007, 03:12 PM   #2
Juan Cantu

Profile:
Re: Watches

If you like that look ....

.... The watch I have that is great is a Citizen Skyhawk with metal band. It does option with a rubber one, but the metal is WAY better.

http://www.creativewatch.co.uk/citiz...atch-large.jpg

But it all depends on what you want out of it.
Just time ?
Submersable ? (cant spell)
Timing ?
Different time zones ?

Figure out what functions you want, and go from there.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:21 PM   #3
Spencer Provow

Profile:

yea i am planning on going with a metal watch!.. and that watch does look very good
Old 11-25-2007, 03:25 PM   #4
Spencer Provow

Profile:

the functions i want from the watch would be time, date, and i would like for it to be water proof... i really like the look of a black watch.. if the watch had a compass that would be awesome as well.. basically i am looking for a nice watch that i dont have to take off if i am going to get dirty ahha
Old 11-25-2007, 03:30 PM   #5
Brandon Oto

Profile:

How about a Breitling Emergency? Got a few thousand bucks?

... no? k...
Old 11-25-2007, 04:04 PM   #6
John Seiler

Profile:

I've been very pleased with my Luminox. They have this one and couple of others in black (wfs):

http://luminox.800rpm.com/index.php?...onographs/8362
Old 11-25-2007, 04:19 PM   #7
Aileen Reid

Profile:

Rolex?

My ex is a watchmaker. He will tell you that the only truly waterproof watch has a screwdown crown.

The more complicated the watch the dearer it is to repair - and the longer it will take because usually they have to go back to a specific dealer.

Think about the watch band - whether or not it can be changed easily later. If its integrated with the case you have no choice but to get the band that came with the watch - again, expensive.

My current partner has a Casio. We were quoted $90 for a battery, seal and a water test. I am buying the seal for $2, the battery for whatever and to hell with the pressure test. Meanwhile he bought a $20 special from Woollies! A Nike look alike.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:28 PM   #8
Larry Lindenman

Profile:

You got the right guy here. I have an Omega Seamaster, Luminox metal chrono, Oakley Timebomb, and two Tag Hauers (plus a whole host of others). I like automatics and the Omega is tops in that class (I like it better than the Rolex), for greater than half the price of a Rolex. The Omega is a great watch, looks great, you could wear it with swim trunks or a tux, its also accurate as hell. The Omega is a great investment and you will have it forever. I wear the Luminox daily due to my work (cop). No scratch crystal, has a timing function, and you could see it clearly all night.

For sports, I go with the Timex Ironman OVA, also have a Sunto, just because. Bottom line, if you have the cash, go with the Omega classy and timeless...if it had the luminox glow it would be the perfect watch.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:51 PM   #9
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Hard to disagree with Larry but I'll add a couple of thoughts. I love, love, love watches. So much so that I've had to force myself to limit my additions to a single class or type (in my case GMT or multi-timezone watches). There are several Suunto watches that fit all of your criteria. I have a "Vector", the original and still least expensive of the Suunto collection. It's not very friendly for office work but fits the bill for pretty much everything else. If you'd like to have a watch that meets most of your criteria, including formal wear, but don't want to spend (or accept as a gift) a ton of $$, want to spend less than an Omega on the watch think of Oris. They make wonderful watches that are elegant, rugged, and come in many different configurations. I own a Worldtimer that I wear for most business travel and will probably add the new GMT Chronograph.

I do like Omega's, but at the end of the day it's tough to turn your back on a Rolex GMT II or Explorer II if your wrist is big enough to sport an Omega dive watch! Congrats on your graduation. As I'm sure Larry will also counsel, be careful of this watch thing. It's expensive and addictive.

P.S. Larry, I'm still saving up for that Kobold SMG-1...
Old 11-25-2007, 07:05 PM   #10
James Floerchinger

Profile:

I have a Seamaster Chrongraph (get the 'Chronograph' because it is the automatic one...they make a quartz one...avoid!).

Got it in 1999. Best money I've spent on a watch. I echo the earlier sentiments...goes with a Tux or Board Shorts. It is still accurate +/- 2-3 seconds a week.

You WILL need to get it serviced and cleaned, but, you also will be able to give it to your Grandson (or Granddaughter) and know that it will last.

So, another vote for the Omega. Oh, and I did the Rolex vs. Omega thought process, had a Jeweler tell me that he Serviced Omega but Fixed Rolex. His words, not mine. Plus, it is just a cool watch.