CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 11-27-2007, 02:06 PM   #11
Anton Emery

Profile:
Re: Globo-gym issues

I agree, come check out Crossfit Portland. Nice group of folks, plus we do alot of burpees...

Anton
Old 11-28-2007, 06:38 PM   #12
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Emery View Post
I agree, come check out Crossfit Portland. Nice group of folks, plus we do alot of burpees...

Anton
That reminds me, do bicep curls when you go in and make sure Scott sees you.

Scott didn't tell me the exact penalties - how many burpees is that, Anton?
Old 11-29-2007, 12:33 PM   #13
Floyd Russell

Profile:

bicep curls with a kettlebell?
Old 11-29-2007, 12:44 PM   #14
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd Russell View Post
bicep curls with a kettlebell?

You have seen the "Terry and BJ" video from CrossFit Alexandria, haven't you?
Edit: WFS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAjgZfUk7JI

Last edited by Sean Dunston : 11-29-2007 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:12 AM   #15
David Vessey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post

You have seen the "Terry and BJ" video from CrossFit Alexandria, haven't you?
Edit: WFS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAjgZfUk7JI

That's awsome.. I see people doing that stuff all the time.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:24 AM   #16
Darren Zega

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Vessey View Post

That's awsome.. I see people doing that stuff all the time.
It's funny cause it's true!
Old 12-03-2007, 12:44 AM   #17
Aileen Reid

Profile:

Talking about having equipment locked up reminds me of my pet peeve. We only have two synthetic tracks in Perth. The one near me is kept locked at all times and only "certified groups" can get the key to use it. So if you can't train when they do - tough! Its recently been done up and is now really nice but before then it was still pretty good but the only way I could get in to use it was to find a hole in the fence that some vandal had made and crawl through it. Doesn't make for a reliable workout schedule.

Now I know there's the issue of vandalism but here we have a population becoming fat and unfit and they stick all these impediments in your way!

We have a few grass tracks around but they are only kept marked for part of the year - September to about April.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:33 PM   #18
Allan Luomala

Profile:

I am happy to report that I was able to have a meeting with the sports and fitness director of our base gym to discuss whether or not CrossFit could be conducted in the gym, the way it is meant to be (without the Globo-gym mentality that was in existence up until now). Luckily, I had 2 people from the National level PSP (Personnel Support Program) office who were on side with me (they had previously attended a CF cert with me), and we put forth the position that CrossFit is an acceptable program (already in use by field force units (read as: the army), and could be easily (and importantly, cheaply) implemented within the confines of the facilities available, by just assigning a dedicated area, re-allocating some equipment, and purchasing a little more eqpt where needed. Amazingly enough, although they have 3 Concept2 rowers in the cardio room, they have more in storage, as they have run out of space, and people weren't utilizing them. The dreadmills and exer-cycles are more popular (likely due to the fact you can put on the appearance of exercising without really exerting yourself). So we are going to scoop up those under-utilized pieces of kit.

One suggestion that was made, and may work for others in a similar situation (within the military or perhaps colleges or universities) is to start up a club, much like an archery club, scuba club, etc. This would allow members to get together, exchange ideas, help each other out, etc, and take advantage of the facilities available. Not sure if we would be able to form an affiliate, but I am going to see if we can. An issue is that the PSP system wants to move away from using the CrossFit brand name. I don't understand 100% why this is. $500 per facility per year to affiliate is peanuts, and could easily be recovered through membership fees ($5 per month per person, with only 9 members would cover this). The advantage of this would be the ability to have civilians (spouses, children, local police and firefighters, etc) come on board. The problem that we have on our base is that all the facilities are already in use during the peak periods (0600 - 0900hrs, 1200-1300, 1500 - 1700 hrs) by military training, and trying to run classes during these times would be a challenge, so it would have to be outside these times (i.e in the evenings). We would still be able to use the CrossFit area on our own during the peak period (in fact, the director saw this as a good thing, as he realizes that a few CrossFitters can end up monopolizing the equipment in a traditional weight room setting, causing dissension amongst the gym-rats).

All in all, a good thing, brought together by the right chain of events: a new director who is willing to listen; a number of CrossFitters joining forces; a recent directive that states that all personnel will do at least 3 sessions of PT during working hours; renovations taking place; and end of the year money that needs to be spent.

Allan
Old 12-05-2007, 08:02 PM   #19
David Vessey

Profile:

Allan, good to hear!

My equipment woes have finally been solved. Turns out the policy had been changed a few weeks ago, while my chain of command was still working on it
Old 12-06-2007, 11:38 AM   #20
Allan Luomala

Profile:

David, that's good news. It's funny how they changed the policy while your CoC was working on it, but that's typical. It's likely due to the big fitness push put into place. The old, "safe" ways don't cut it anymore, and people are just going to have to accept the inherent risks that are associated with getting fit. Walking slowly on a treadmill is good for the elderly (or those in rehab), but is just ****ing away your time when you are supposed to be "fit to fight".

Are you going to see about starting up a CF club on base? I don't imagine you would have the time, due to your studies, but perhaps you can convince one of the DS there to do it (assuming they have the time). That would be brilliant if we could have a community of CrossFit clubs across the CF. Plus, I might be following my wife on a posting to Kingston (we are asking for Borden, Kingston or Trenton once my wife's Physicians Assistant course is complete), so that would be good (so I don't have to start up another one if I move there )

AL