CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 09-07-2004, 10:23 AM   #11
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Another suggestion: Get yourself a white board, better yet get a large, drywall sized white board and hang it up in your workout area; if you don't have a workout area hang it in your room or office. Using dry erase markers, write down all of you PR's including: the benchmark workouts, 5K run & row, max pullups, max Benchpress, DL, Squat, snatch, etc. Also write your weight and % body fat. Next time a repeat workout comes up, beat your time! Do whatever it takes, lower rest times, push harder, etc. This is an awsome modivational tool. I do this as well as cut and paste the WOD's print them and keep them in a three reing binder with my scores written next to them. I only cut from the date to "post time to comments" section so I fit a rest day and 3 wods on a page. My three ring binder lists all of the WOD's for over a year and my scores. I always look back and refer to old times.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:12 AM   #12
Paul Scott Suliin

Profile:
Larry, I keep a workout notebook for everything, but I can see that a whiteboard might make it more visible and immediate.

Graham, Robert, David (both), Beth, thanks for the motivation. And yes, at the moment I count just getting out there and doing it a victory. I'm still going to keep pushing for time though.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:19 AM   #13
Frank Cruzata

Profile:
I started with Sunday's WOD as well and the first 3 exercise darn near killed me. I realized very quickly that doing the prescribed rep scheme wasn't going to be possible....I decided that I would do a third of the prescribed, then half, then two-thirds and then finally the whole rep scheme. I'm 32 so don't let age affect your decision.

Like it's been said the greatest loss is not even attempting it. After a while it'll come. Good luck and hang in there. We're all on the same boat...some boats are just sleeker than others.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:56 PM   #14
Rick Worthington

Profile:

Injuries aside - make pain your friend, hang out with him as long as you can, embrace him, cherish him. Before you know it, you won't notice him.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:25 PM   #15
Paul Scott Suliin

Profile:
Yes, there is a bit of an art to distinguishing between pain that doesn't connote an injury (eg: shin splints or a stitch in one's side) from pain that does (eg: a blown knee or ankle, or a heart attack).

--Paul
Old 09-08-2004, 04:38 PM   #16
Kevin H

Profile:  
This is a great thread. But I want to know what David Werner means by increased mitochondria. How does that relate to fitness?
Old 09-08-2004, 06:13 PM   #17
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Kevin - 95% of the ATP used for muscular contractions is produced in the mitochondria. Therefore, a greater amount of mitochondrial density will increase your muscular endurance.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:26 PM   #18
Paul Scott Suliin

Profile:
Kevin H, in layman's terms, the mitochondria are a cell's energy generators (that's vastly oversimplified - they're really just a critical link in the energy generation process). So the more mitochondria your muscle cells have, the more strongly and more often your muscles can contract. That translates directly to power and endurance.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:56 PM   #19
Dale S. Jansen

Profile:
am a little late to this thread but, Paul, i have been crossfitting for a little over a year and am just starting to jam thru some of these wods. the important thing is to get it all in no matter how long it takes. speed comes with time.
i am 48 and find myself improving on an already fairly good level of fitness.
Old 09-18-2004, 07:11 AM   #20
David Wood

Profile:

Oh, man, Dale, now you've gone and ruined my day.

I've been consoling myself for a while now that at least I was a lot older than you, so I wouldn't feel so bad that you've been thrashing me (when we both happen to post results for the same WOD) . . .

Now it turns out you're only one year younger . . . sheesh! First Ed Velasco, now you . . .:happy:

Dave