CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 02-15-2003, 10:09 PM   #1
don

Profile:

I just started Brazilian jiu-jitsu and got hooked on Crossfit from BJ Penn's jiu jitsu website. The WOD's are unreal and push you to the limit. Right now, I'm the only one in the gym doing muscle-ups on the top notch of the smith machine or jump roping. Including the post-workout stretching, I'm in/out of the gym in less than one hour. Keep the WOD's coming. Crossfit rocks:smile: and trying to spread the word.
Old 02-16-2003, 06:54 AM   #2
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
Don:

Where are you doing Brazilian jiu jitsu?
Old 02-16-2003, 01:07 PM   #3
don

Profile:

Patrick, I just started back up at Marcus Vinicius' Beverly Hills Jiu Jitsu Club. Marcus teaches all the jiu jitsu and Vale-tudo classes. Prior to that I trained at the Carlson Gracie Jiu-jitsu academy for less than a year. What about you?
Old 02-16-2003, 05:45 PM   #4
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
I am currently just training with friends. I have no access to a teacher on a regular basis. I am a student of Sylvio Behring and Marcio Corleta when I can train with them.

How did you like Carlson's? Isn't he in Chicago? Is that where you trained? How is BHJJC? How do the schools compare?
Old 02-17-2003, 08:47 PM   #5
don

Profile:

Patrick, Carlson used to be in West Hollywood, CA then moved to Whittier, CA, and you're right that he's in Chicago at Jr's school. Carlson never taught the class and was taught by an excellent Carlson Gracie black belt named Rodrigo Medieros, and a now black belt John Ouano (was a purple belt back then). They both have separate schools now. Vitor Belfort, Allen Goes, Todd Medina, and Wallid Ismail used to train there alot.

BHJJC rocks! Marcus Vinicius is a GREAT person/fighter/instuctor, he's got a web site if you'd like to check it out www.BHJJC.com. Marcus should be going to Brazil soon for the World Jiu jitsu championship. I checked out the results of a jiu jitsu tournament in Santa Cruz,Ca and noticed alot of Behring students took home 1st and 2nd places. Keep training.
Old 02-17-2003, 09:50 PM   #6
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Hey Don! Just wanted to say hello to another of the Carlson lineage. I train with Marcello Alonso in seattle although I have put that on the back burner to focus on Capoeira. Thanks for the link BTW
Robb
Old 02-18-2003, 05:39 PM   #7
don

Profile:

Rob, there's a Capoeira school in the West los angeles area, but I never went by to check it out. They used to share the studio with the Rickson Gracie jiu jitsu school(now at a new location). Just curious, did it take long to be able to do those acrobatic/gymnastic style flips.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:54 AM   #8
Robert Wolf

Profile:
hey don- i have done some back handsprings before...a back flip once. This is on my own and self taught from some stuff I found on the net. I have been planning on going to an adult gymnastics class to get some instruction. The brasilain method of teaching a backflip often involves them swinging a birembau (long stick) at your lower back and yelling "jump"! I need a bit more structure than that!! I think with a bit of instruction one can progress to some acrobatics really quite quickly. Ask Tyler Hass about that.

I highly recomand the cpoeira...it is essentially applied gymnastics and my kickboxing has improved greatly from the increased mobility and novel footwork...it is damn fun as well!
Take care
Robb
Old 02-19-2003, 08:00 PM   #9
don

Profile:

Rob, thanks for the info. Keep training. Don