CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-11-2005, 04:48 PM   #21
Misha Bigos

Profile:  
Thanks David; I'm pleased that you guys like the rings. Only a crossfitter would appreciate them.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:42 PM   #22
Brian Hand

Profile:

Misha this is fantastic. I saw the heat blankets electricians use to bend PVC, but they cost more than rings! The oven, now that's more my speed!

Not to mention, something good will finally come out of my oven!
Old 05-11-2005, 08:20 PM   #23
Josh Brehm

Profile:
another thing you could do (forgive me if someone already said this) is put the pvc pipe into a fixed position and then fill the pipe with concrete and attach somethin to allow rope to attach to the rings.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:24 PM   #24
Misha Bigos

Profile:  
Don, you said that filling the pipe with sand would eliminate kinks. But can it actually make the rings perfectly round? The only downside to my rings is that they are slightly flat due to the bend. Would filling the pipe with sand prevent this flatness?

Old 05-13-2005, 05:21 AM   #25
Don Woodson

Profile:
Misha, I haven't tried it on plastic pipe yet, but I have done it with stainless steel and titanium and it works on them. It's actually an emergency field repair technique. We use special tools at the factory.
Because the plastic does get soft, it might still end up a little flat, especially if your still using the paint can for a mandrel. But if you can heat it up and hand bend it and immobilize it somehow till it cools, there will be less flatness.
OTOH, unless your rings are causing you pain or something, I wouldn't even worry about it.
I plan on trying it soon, I'll let you know. But right now, the rings are pretty low on my list. Boat motors, lawn mowers, dads plumbing, wife's car, nephew's confirmation, wife's girlfriend's wedding, 60 hour work weeks, VFW duties, etc etc etc...(wfw), I'll get around to it one of these days.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:01 AM   #26
James R. Climer

Profile:
Perhaps something like an 8-inch diameter
pulley wheel for ropes might be the
ticket as a proper mandrel, or the
fore-mentioned pipe bending tool
as a mold?
Old 05-14-2005, 12:28 PM   #27
Ralph Garcia

Profile:
I made my first pair of Rings today!!

Thanks to Misha, Don, and James for your ideas and input!

Okay, I used 1 inch diameter PVC pipe. I cut the PVC pipe into two 27-inch lengths. As Don suggested, I filled the pipe with sand (packed in real tight) and capped each end of the pipe with plenty of duct tape. I pre-heated the conventional oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Once the oven was ready, I placed the sand-filled PVC pipe into the oven and allowed it to bake for exactly 10 minutes. After the 10, I took the pipe out (with gloves!!) and wrapped it around a small trash can (the can had a circumference of 24 inches which gave the rings a diameter of about 7 inches). I held the pipe in place for about 5 minutes. The sand definitely helped prevent kinks, but did not completely prevent the pipe from flattening (but believe me, it does the job just fine). Once the ring hardened, I peeled off the duct tape and poured out the sand. And that was it! I had a new pair of rings!

I fed a half-inch thick rope through the inside of the ring and secured it with a couple figure knots. I then used 13-foot lashing strap to hang each ring from my hut. I got some grip tape at Walgreens and applied appropriately to each ring.

Other than the grip tape, I purchased everything I needed at Home Depot. With $26, I bought enough in materials to make two sets of rings (4 rings) and one pair of parallettes.

Basically, this is what it boils down to:

Trip to Home Depot: $26
Manual Labor: 3 hours
2 sets of Rings and 1 pair of Parallettes: Priceless!

On another note: I also did my first muscle-up! I could never do the MUs on a bar, but as soon as I grabbed my rings, I knocked out 3 consecutive MUs!! I then went on to do 20 MUs in 20 minutes!!

Thanks Crossfit!!
And thanks again to everyone who contributed to this board!

-Ralph
Old 05-14-2005, 01:37 PM   #28
James R. Climer

Profile:
Big Cngratulations Ralph, it looks
like the right equipment can
sometimes provide the extra oomph
required, now go get 30 MU reps unbroken!
Old 05-14-2005, 11:17 PM   #29
Stephen Reeks

Profile:
RALPH, AWESOME WORK ON THE MUSCLE UP'S
MAKE SURE U GET IT ON VIDEO SO WE CAN CHECK IT OUT
Old 05-16-2005, 05:37 AM   #30
Don Woodson

Profile:
Very cool Ralph! glad it worked well for you.
Ok, now that you've mentioned that you could never do a bar MU, and you ripped out three ring MU's, my homemade rings just jumped up a couple notches on my priority list. I'm stoked yet again, (this site never ceases to amaze me). I can do "one" on my bar, but only with a serious jump-up to the bar, and considerable pain in my wrists. Not even close from dead hang.
Oh, and where I work, we don't call it manual labor. It's, labor of love. :wink: