CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-28-2003, 05:56 PM   #11
Anonymous

Profile:  
mymaxtrainer just announced a 10% discount for purchases of $300 and up. I have decided to purchase two 35 lbs, two 50 lbs and one 66 lbs KBs. Because I live within a reasonable drive of Williamsport I will opt to pick them up. I estimate the total cost to be just slightly higher than the land cost for a set of 3 comparable size KBs from dragondoor.

Old 03-01-2003, 03:28 PM   #12
Gene Schwartz

Profile:  
I would like to comment on the statement by Tyler that mymaxtrainer has "publicly bashed Pavel". I just don't think that's true. Dave, who runs mymaxtrainer, as far as I can tell, has only said good things about Pavel. There is one particular person, who as far as I know, does not work for mymaxtrainer who has bashed Dragondoor.

For the record, I have had only good experiences with Dragondoor, and have purchased 6 kettlebells, plus books and videos from them. One reason to consider their kettlebells over mymaxtrainer KBs is that the Dragondoor ones are the standard Russian weights. (which probably doesn't matter unless you wanted to compete.)
Old 03-01-2003, 06:30 PM   #13
Tyler Hass

Profile:
David, I really don't think it's fair to Pavel and Dragon Door to stop buying their products because of the people that frequent their forum. Any moron with an internet connection is free to post there whenever they want and they frequently do. Pavel tries his hardest to keep things classy, but short of banning people and deleting posts, there is nothing he can do. In the cases where posts have been deleted, it just starts up a whole new debate about the first amendment! I agree that a lot of people there need to get a life and perhaps go outside from time to time.
I still go to the Dragon Door forum, but I don't read even a quarter of the posts. I skip all of the OT, anything from a handful of people who don't know what they're talking about and skip anything else I don't find interesting. The only thing about the board that I don't like is that it moves to quickly to actually discuss something in depth. That's one of the things I love about the CrossFit forum. In-depth discussions with BRILLIANT people, however, I do still enjoy the DD forum and occasionally Supertraining.

Gene: The guy that was causing the big fuss at Dragon Door is indeed affiliated with the company, although he says that he is not connected in any financial way. I'll buy that. However, he does teach the workshops, so I would consider him a part of the company. Regarding Dave, I've never spoken to him or met him. However, he has never made any statement to apologize or to clarify his opinion regarding Pavel's certification program and other matters. Furthermore, when talking about the benefits of his bells over Dragon Door's, he says that you get the feeling of being a smart consumer or something like that. Is he implying that the rest of us are blithering idiots for having purchased slightly more expensive weights? To be honest, you have to buy at least Pavel's video and probably his book, so you might as well get the weights at the same place. Dragon Door has a frequent buyer program as well, so you might end up saving money. In 20 years, your KB's will be as good as new and you will most likely not care whether you spent an extra five dollars or not.
Congrats on your 6 kettlebells. I bought my fourth about a week ago and I'm really enjoying the 2 KB drills with my 1.5's.
Old 03-01-2003, 06:53 PM   #14
Gene Schwartz

Profile:  
Tyler - point well taken...I just thought that saying that mymaxtrainer 'publicly bashed Pavel', without the clarification in your last post was a little unfair. My impression really was that when the argument was raging, Dave himself made a point of emphasizing his admiration for Pavel. But, I certainly agree with you that much of the criticism of Dragondoor, posted mostly by that one fellow, was quite petty, to say the least.

By the way - as far as I know Dragon Door no longer has the frequent buyer program - or so I was told awhile back when I made my last purchase.

And - thanks for the magazine! It's a fabulous resource that's getting better with each issue.
Old 03-01-2003, 07:39 PM   #15
jpm

Profile:  
Tyler,

To be fair another poster did a great job starting the flame war -- if I recall correctly, his argument was that if you're not certified you don't know squat about KBs and should not be holding seminars. After that it turned ugly.

You're right that "it's [not] fair to Pavel and Dragon Door to stop buying their products because of the people that frequent their forum." My dojo has 3 sets of DD Kbs as well as a bunch of machine shop specials. I have not checked out the new mymaxtrainer deal, but if the pricing is as good as one poster claims, Dave will get my next order. If they are comparable with DDs, it will be a tough choice when my town's athletic association considers buying a few sets.
Old 03-27-2003, 10:59 AM   #16
David Wood

Profile:

Hey Tyler (et al.):

Just to be fair, I should note that I've been reading a lot more on DD lately (partly since the unfortunate end of Supertraining discussion board).

I've got to acknowledge that the ratio of wheat to chaff (signal-to-noise) seems to have gone up quite a bit there recently.

When the percentage of useful posts (i.e., those that will either inform or inspire me) drops below about 5 or 10 percent, I just won't waste my time at any site. DD seems to have gotten back above that level (for me, anyway . . . it goes without saying that this is a personal judgment that each person needs to make individually).

The good new is that CrossFit discussion seems to run about 90% "useful" postings . . . a fabulous result unmatched elsewhere in the industry (sort of like the workouts). :happy:

Your online magazine also makes the grade, by the way. I'm still blown away by how you do it . . . if I understand correctly, you're a college student and intercollegiate athlete who somehow pulls off putting out a monthly magazine with pretty good articles and interviews with people all over the country . . . reminds me not to feel sorry for myself over my own workload. Congratulations!

Dave
Old 03-28-2003, 07:05 PM   #17
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Dave,
Thanks for the compliments! I'm no longer an intercollegiate athlete:-( I transferred to a new school and they don't have a varsity tennis program. However, I've started taking gymnastics classes 6x a week, so I feel like I'm becoming an even better athlete. The workload is a bit tough, but I usually do the magazine in small bits and pieces, then a big push right before pusblishing it. That way I can handle it in more manageable pieces. I try to do this with my studying as well, sort of a Grease the Groove approach.
DragonDoor recently banned OT posting, so I think the board should get quite a bit better from here on out. I love the way this board runs. It's pure information and easy to keep up with.
JPM,
If you signed up as a Dragon Door affiliate you might get a better price than what is offered at MMT. I have not seen one of theirs, so I can't comment on the quality of the bells or their customer service. However, I can say that Dragon Door has top-notch customer service. One person had a bell that wasn't finished properly, so they took it back and sent him a new one at no charge.
That's cool that you have kettlebells in your dojo. What kind of training program do you run? Any other training tools in there? Sounds like a pretty good program to me.
Tyler