CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-05-2011, 10:16 AM   #11
Fellippe Galletta

Profile:
Re: What is it going to take to play football/basketball again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
I am a little confused about the question.

If it is how to get competitive at half court bball or flag football, then play with players that take it seriously and are on your relative skill level.

If it is how to feel young again, then focus on diet and mobility stuff. Read mark sisson's most recent post on the lost art of play. Start chasing stuff and scaling stuff and get outside more.

not sure what else you are asking
Nothing more than what I said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C Thomas View Post
I would just like to chime in. My brother-in-law was about 40 lbs overweight and really wanted to get back into playing on sports teams (ie. flag football, basketball, softball, etc). He tried various treadmill, weight, other globo gym type stuff to no avail. Then I forced him to play basketball with my group twice a week. In a month, he was easily back in shape enough to play full court for an hour and have fun.

Here's my suggestion. PLAY!!

You may not be at the level you were or would like to be, pretty soon you will be. When it comes to sports, all the fitness in the world will only help so much. Think about amazing runners that get winded after one game of pick up basketball but can run a sub 20 min 5k. Nothing prepares you better for a specific sport than playing that sport. Just like nothing gets you better at Crossfit like doing Crossfit. Just my 2 cents.
This may be the most applicable advice here....guess I'll just have to play again while doing the CF stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
I know virtually nothing about bench press numbers, but at a football combine 225 for 20 reps is pretty much the standard/minimum.
At an NFL combine maybe but why do you keep bringing this up? LOL.

Do you have any idea how heavy a 225 bench is for the average guy who works out, even the average CFer where bench is not even on the menu?

I maxed out at 235# 2 months ago, 20# away from advanced according to the charts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
If you've been sitting on the couch since you were 18, it's going to take more than 4 months to turn that around. Sorry.

A lot of things go into "feeling like a kid again:"

* Mobility -- are you stretching after every single workout? Do you do mobility work on rest days?

* Agility -- usually sport specific, you get this by doing whatever you're trying to get better at. A lot.

* General fitness -- this is where Crossfit comes in. What is your gym's programming like?

* Weight -- most active teenagers aren't hauling around many extra pounds. A sedentary 31 year old could have quite a few. Excess weight slows you down. What's your diet like?

Katherine
The only thing I haven't done consistently since 18 is play sports, or do lots of running. I have been lifting weights consistently since that age which is how I put on 25+ lbs of muscle when not watching TV.

Diet is good....Paleo 6 days a week, protein shakes, CLA, etc.

I try to CF 5-6 days a week as long as my schedule allows it. No laziness there.

I guess just playing the game is what I'll have to do.

I wish people would ask more questions without making broad based assumptions on someone's background. Maybe there's a general trend in new CF posters to be newly retired couch potatoes which is where assumptions are made, but I'm far from that and know that only time is what separates me from my goals not desire. I read the bios on my CF page of guys and girls who kick my ***, and most of their first days, weeks had them "pass out on the living room when I got home", "puke", etc. None of that happened to me btw. I got used to the physical soreness of CF in 2 weeks.

I know I'll be where I have to be eventually. I'm new to CF but not new to working out or putting in the time.

Last edited by Fellippe Galletta : 08-05-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:19 AM   #12
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

Quote:

Nothing prepares you better for a specific sport than playing that sport.
This.

When I first started playing ultimate frisbee, I was pretty sure that I was going to die after 20 minutes. I could play tennis for two hours, roll in jiu-jitsu for 3 x 5 minute rounds with no problem, but sprinting up and down a field felt like death.

Fast foward 8 months later and I only get gassed during a game if it is ungodly hot outside and I haven't hydrated properly. Otherwise, I'm good to go for 60 minutes and my sprinting ability is a million times better.

FWIW I've been doing strength work and metcons about 3x week for the past 8mos as well. Have dropped weight, lowered body fat and increased muscle. That has had a positive affect on the field as well, although difficult to gauge how much improvement came from playing and how much from Crossfit.

I try to balance my activities so that I have enough in the tank to perform at 80% or above for whatever it is that I'm doing. I tried Starting Strength but had to punt b/c I have too many other things going on that I wasn't willing to give up.

Last edited by Vickie Ellickson : 08-05-2011 at 10:26 AM. Reason: grammar fail
Old 08-05-2011, 10:21 AM   #13
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:

Go play. I'm 36 and half as good on the backetball court as I was at 26, but it's still a lot of fun. Beats the hell out of running, rowing or burpees.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:40 AM   #14
Fellippe Galletta

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie Ellickson View Post
This.

When I first started playing ultimate frisbee, I was pretty sure that I was going to die after 20 minutes. I could play tennis for two hours, roll in jiu-jitsu for 3 x 5 minute rounds with no problem, but sprinting up and down a field felt like death.

Fast foward 8 months later and I only get gassed during a game if it is ungodly hot outside and I haven't hydrated properly. Otherwise, I'm good to go for 60 minutes and my sprinting ability is a million times better.

FWIW I've been doing strength work and metcons about 3x week for the past 8mos as well. Have dropped weight, lowered body fat and increased muscle. That has had a positive affect on the field as well, although difficult to gauge how much improvement came from playing and how much from Crossfit.

I try to balance my activities so that I have enough in the tank to perform at 80% or above for whatever it is that I'm doing. I tried Starting Strength but had to punt b/c I have too many other things going on that I wasn't willing to give up.
Very nice....congrats on your progress, sounds great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Hoegner View Post
Go play. I'm 36 and half as good on the backetball court as I was at 26, but it's still a lot of fun. Beats the hell out of running, rowing or burpees.
Agreed!
Old 08-05-2011, 12:55 PM   #15
Mark Boyle

Profile:

Fellippe how often do you plan to play each sport?

Perhaps a good idea would be to have a goal of 5 conditioning sessions per week counting your sports in this. If you play basketball once, and football once then try to do three more on your own. If you play each twice, then only do one session on your own.

If it were me, I'd mix up the remaining ones between things like steady state jogging, hill sprints and traditional cross fit type circuts. However you may want to change that up depending on how things feel (like if you have over use injury issues or something). Alternatively, since the main thing you will be doing is running in your sports, if you're body can take it, then make your conditioning sessions more running focused.

IMO strength training is important too. Not so much for right now, but maintaining a strength base will help you play better 5-10 years down the road. This can be done fairly quickly though. Something like two sets of:
Squat
Deadlift (or some other PC exercise)
Bench Press
Row
Press
Chins
done twice a week would likely be enough.

Right now your goal is to improve conditioning, so make that your priority.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #16
Greg Kemp

Profile:

Quote:
I would just like to chime in. My brother-in-law was about 40 lbs overweight and really wanted to get back into playing on sports teams (ie. flag football, basketball, softball, etc). He tried various treadmill, weight, other globo gym type stuff to no avail. Then I forced him to play basketball with my group twice a week. In a month, he was easily back in shape enough to play full court for an hour and have fun.

You may not be at the level you were or would like to be, pretty soon you will be. When it comes to sports, all the fitness in the world will only help so much. Think about amazing runners that get winded after one game of pick up basketball but can run a sub 20 min 5k. Nothing prepares you better for a specific sport than playing that sport. Just like nothing gets you better at Crossfit like doing Crossfit. Just my 2 cents.
Dead on with this! Do crossfit and go Play are the best advice.