CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-26-2011, 05:42 PM   #11
Vince Mannella

Profile:
Re: Days off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McLafferty View Post
Vince,

OK I think your DL volume is good then. As long as you keep increasing you're doing something right. Be careful of too much volume once your numbers go up or you stop progressing.

And is that a modified CFFB WOD you outlined right there? The Ensign was yesterday and it looks similar
No, I was going to do the ensign but I thought this one up instead. It may have been a workout but I've never done it (went back through my logs). It was alright. At that weight I should really have done a 15-12-9-6-3 or up the weight to 135# and keep the current rep count. 03:31 is a little short for a workout. Typically I keep my "heavy metcons" ranging between 07:00 and 10:00.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:38 PM   #12
Vince Mannella

Profile:

Been following this plan....I find myself wondering if I will lose any gains I've made in my running doing this?
Running twice in 8 days may not be good enough.
Any thoughts or ideas on this?
Old 05-07-2011, 04:03 PM   #13
Vince Mannella

Profile:

What are some thoughts on altering the program a little for something like:
1 - squat 5x3, heavy metcon
2 - run intervals
3 - bench 5x3, heavy metcon
4 - run 2mi
5 - off
6 - deadlift 5x3, heavy metcon
7 - run 3mi/5km
8 - press 5x3, heavy metcon
9 - run intervals
10 - off

Or maybe:
1 - squat 5x3, heavy metcon
2 - run intervals
3 - bench 5x3, heavy metcon
4 - run 2mi
5 - deadlift 5x3, heavy metcon
6 - off
1 - run 3mi/5km
2 - press 5x3, heavy metcon
3 - run intervals
4 - squat 5x3, heavy metcon
5 - run 2mi
6 - off

Last edited by Vince Mannella : 05-07-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:03 PM   #14
Michael Dowling

Profile:

based on your bodyweight and lifting numbers you would probably see better gains on a novice lifting program like starting strength or 70s big. your program seems like a lot of volume but i can't say for certain because i don't know how you recover.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #15
Jordan K Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dowling View Post
based on your bodyweight and lifting numbers you would probably see better gains on a novice lifting program like starting strength or 70s big. your program seems like a lot of volume but i can't say for certain because i don't know how you recover.
agreed. OP, that seems like unecessary volume to see the gains you want. don't be impatient, you'll just make it harder on yourself. i'm still paying for it myself.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:24 AM   #16
Vince Mannella

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dowling View Post
I know I would see much better strength gains from those programs. I am trying to increase my strength more moderately and keep my running ability. The reason I started doing crossfit main-site WOD's two years ago (jeez almost 3 now) was the fact that I could be good at both strength and running but not the best at either. I like doing the strength movements and the heavy metcons.....I feel like I have made gains....and I have....just not as quickly or as large as I would have on a strict strength program like SS or 70s. I want to avoid getting the "gut" from eating huge like that......
Old 05-08-2011, 07:31 AM   #17
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Mannella View Post
I know I would see much better strength gains from those programs. I am trying to increase my strength more moderately and keep my running ability. The reason I started doing crossfit main-site WOD's two years ago (jeez almost 3 now) was the fact that I could be good at both strength and running but not the best at either. I like doing the strength movements and the heavy metcons.....I feel like I have made gains....and I have....just not as quickly or as large as I would have on a strict strength program like SS or 70s. I want to avoid getting the "gut" from eating huge like that......
yeah it's a trade off, before i did 70's big i was coming and lifting in the morning and doing metcons in the afternoon while eating about 2000 calories of paleo a day. i dropped nearly 30 lbs in a month and my conditioning was much better but i've never been weaker. i was doing too much volume, not eating enough, and for my efforts i fit my pants better but had the strength of a 12 year old girl, i had to bail on a 175 lb squat, that's when i started a strength program.

so far i've gone up from 181 to 198 lbs, but i only gained 1/2 inch on my waistline and still fit my 34 levi's so i didn't sprout an enormous gut.

but i can respect you're a runner (i always said i ran enough for a lifetime in the marines so i'll hike, sprint, but i despise LSD), i'm not so SS or 70's big makes sense for me, and i don't want to be one of these "my goals should be your goals" type of people.

Last edited by Michael Dowling : 05-08-2011 at 07:37 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #18
Vince Mannella

Profile:

It is a trade off.
I need to be able to run at a good pace to pass my yearly fitness tests. I also want to build more muscle and drop my fat.
I love crossfit because it is conditioning and strength. I tweaked it to add the strength component of the 4 most important lifts (to me) and also a heavier metabolic component (heavy metcons) to build muscle as well.
I know I will not make strength gains as great or as fast doing this with the running but I will also be able to maintain my running and make modest strength gains. That is my ultimate goal. Maintain or improve running and strength gains. 5# increases in weight every other lift is good for me. That is a 100# increase in 1 year.