CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-04-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
Jordan Derksen

Profile:
A month off

After searching around I didn't seem to find anything on the topic. I know rest is often prescribed by many people on these boards. Is there any downside to taking a full month off of heavy training? Some funny things have been happening to my body lately and I'm thinking of just taking some serious rest. It'll be hard cause I love training, but I'd rather train smart than hard. I haven't taken more than a week off in years. Just wondering if taking 2 weeks to a month off would be beneficial or if it wouldn't be worth the lost time.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #2
Willis Holder

Profile:
Re: A month off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Derksen View Post
After searching around I didn't seem to find anything on the topic. I know rest is often prescribed by many people on these boards. Is there any downside to taking a full month off of heavy training? Some funny things have been happening to my body lately and I'm thinking of just taking some serious rest. It'll be hard cause I love training, but I'd rather train smart than hard. I haven't taken more than a week off in years. Just wondering if taking 2 weeks to a month off would be beneficial or if it wouldn't be worth the lost time.
Listen to your body.

A month is nothing. Or at least its nothing compared to how long recovering from an injury can take.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
Ben Kissam

Profile:

Whenever I get injuries, serious ones at least I listen to my body until it tells me I'm good to go again. Once I get that sign, I wait 3 days or more. Typically that helps. But for real, a month is nothing. Go for some hikes, ride a bike and relax for a while. You'll come back ready to go.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:32 PM   #4
Tom Seryak

Profile:

Are you talking take a month off from everything? or, just heavy lifting and crossfit type stuff? it sounds like you enjoy training, so taking a full month off from everything could prove beneficial for your body, but might not be good for your mental health.

i had a bad mountain bike accident in 2003 that left me with a concussion (broke the helmet in two) and a badly separated a/c joint. the following 4-6 weeks was very hard...mentally. the only thing i could do was walk at an incline on the dreadmill and even that hurt.

might i recommend taking some time off (2-4 weeks) and treating it like a post-season...as in do low intensity gpp type stuff (gpp in the traditional, not crossfit sense). pick up a new activity or sport...something that is nothing like what you are currently doing. since it will be new, you can't possibly train intense and you might find something that you really enjoy at the same time. rock climbing, swimming, tennis, judo, yoga? i just can't stand sitting around doing nothing. low intensity is better than sitting around waiting to heal in my mind, and you sound a lot like me. hope that gives you some ideas.

Tom
Old 05-04-2011, 08:19 PM   #5
Craig Rogers

Profile:

I took some time off to do a home improvement project. THe hardest part was getting back into the routine. That and I am still not at the performance level I was at before taking the time off.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:28 AM   #6
Anson Castelvecchi

Profile:

I've done it before. At times I think it can be a good thing. Expect a week or so getting back into the feel of training.