CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-07-2011, 08:50 PM   #11
Travis Rask

Profile:
Re: SealFit?

I think SealFit might be a great mission specific program for military operators who require an endurance and strength level that can last an extended period of time (those on deployment, Spec Ops guys, etc.).

Unless you're in the above category...I don't really see and haven't experienced the benefit of it. Personally, as a firefighter, I know almost the entirety of my "incidents" are going to require a very strong strength base, coupled with some good explosion and work capacity over very short intervals (5-20 minutes). Doing WODs that last over 2 hours isn't the type of targeted programming that helps in my job. If you're inside a burning building for longer than 20 minutes...something is likely very wrong.

That's why I moved on from SealFit after a few months last year. I don't really buy into the mental toughness aspect of the physical programming either.

You can encounter some equally tough mental conditions in a really heavy MEBB set, or a brutal metcon just as well as a 2 hour slog. However, Mark Divine's emails on the warrior spirit and developing mental toughness are outstanding...I highly recommend signing up for the email list.

The programming also requires a herculean commitment to recovery - if you screw around with your rest or feeding even in the least, your quality of life will circle the drain pretty fast.

Like I said - probably great for military operators, questionable for everyone else IMHO. I think the majority of people can get great results from simpler programming and have a much greater quality of life outside the gym, with a little more comfortable a level of fudge (fun) factor acceptable without hurting progress.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:32 AM   #12
Kevin Bean

Profile:
Re: SealFit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
Apparently you lack some reading comprehension, but thats okay.. its not rocket surgery.

So for example, today the wod was :

So as per the outlined procedure, you do the Strength & Stamina wods in the Morning, and then at night you do the Durability & Work Capacity wods.
You forgot this part;

"Special Operators and serious CrossFit athletes who have trained their body and minds to handle tremendous loads will have no problem handling the load of the workouts as posted. If you are not at this calibre yet, then you should be scaling the loads and breaking the WODs up, as follows:"