CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-26-2011, 05:33 PM   #11
Damon Stewart

Profile:
Re: Best Strength Program + Crossfit wods

CF Conjugate works ridiculously well.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:50 AM   #12
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Do either of you have his book on conditioning workouts?
Something eric said. I know he loves prowler work, and you can go through his old blog and find conditioning work that he teaches. His met cons are NOT killers by any means but I would like to see that book. His burpie challenge I might try though which is in the LP book.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #13
Todd R Miller

Profile:

I've been following Chris Mason's Conjugate Crossfit program for 17 weeks and have had great results. I combine the ME workouts with crossfit.com metcons. On day 1 of the cycle I do the ME workout. On days 2 & 3 I do a .com workout. I skip the .com heavy days, per Chris' suggestion. So far, so good.

For assistance work on the ME days, I've been mixing in a movement often used in Crossfit WODs - weighted pullups, handstand pushups, ring dips, etc and going for max reps. Other than that, I'm trying to follow Chris' program exactly. The beauty is in the assistance exercises. You don't need to do a metcon afterword.

My strength is going up, and my metcons are improving as well.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:36 PM   #14
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

Todd, have you gained any weight? I've been on a weight gain phase because everything was just stuck. Things are moving nicely now but certain things have gotten harder, like pullups. It seems my metcon has been suffering a little bit and that's really annoying, especially with the Open going on. I was thinking of switching over to Chris's program shortly. Do any of you think it'd be prudent to just switch over now or should I wait till the Open is over?
Old 03-28-2011, 03:42 PM   #15
Todd R Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Derksen View Post
Todd, have you gained any weight? I've been on a weight gain phase because everything was just stuck. Things are moving nicely now but certain things have gotten harder, like pullups. It seems my metcon has been suffering a little bit and that's really annoying, especially with the Open going on. I was thinking of switching over to Chris's program shortly. Do any of you think it'd be prudent to just switch over now or should I wait till the Open is over?
Yes, I've gained about 8 pounds since starting Chris' program. I'm definitely a hard gainer, so it's been hard to eat enough. I've added some "scafolding" (fat), but can't say that it has impacted metcons negatively. All my body weight movements have improved. I think this has to do with adding them in as assistance work on the ME days.

Give it shot.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #16
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

Todd, do you have some previous/current maxes for comparison? I'm just curious what kind of improvement you've been seeing.

I've been doing a strict "Westside" program for the last 8 weeks or so and it has been going great.

Thanks,

Tim
Old 03-28-2011, 09:28 PM   #17
Todd R Miller

Profile:

First, a little background. I'm 46 and I've been following Crossfit.com for three years. Started doing Crossfit when I got back to playing hockey after spending three years trying my hand at mtn. bike racing. Those three years ate away a decade's worth of strength gains. I've had to rebuild all my strength from scratch. Strength gains following Crossfit.com were slow, but steady, until last October. I did the Crossfit Total on Oct. 16, and it went down. About that time, Chris's Conjugate Crossfit article came out. I considered Starting Strength, but I'd done linear progression in the past only to stall out, and I didn't want to sacrifice the conditioning aspect that metcons provide. Conjugate CF seemed a perfect fit. I started on Nov. 16.

Here are my CFT numbers from 10/16:
Back squat: 225
Shoulder Press: 130
Deadlift: 360

Also around this time I front squated 190.

Here is where I'm at as of 3/28/2011, following Conjugate Crossfit:
Back squat: 240
Shoulder press: 140
Deadlift: 385
Front squat: 205

Not huge gains, but I'm happy with any gains at this stage. I'm seeing improvement across the board - pullups, handstand pushups, ring dips, muscle ups. Everything except running, but that's a different story.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:35 PM   #18
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

Todd,

Thanks for the quick reply. Looks like you're doing awesome! Stalling out is frustrating and giving up metcons is depressing, so it's great that you found the best of both worlds... gaining strength AND metcon performance... not to mention all the other bodyweight/gymnastics movements you mentioned.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #19
Zach Reed

Profile:

Chris,

Now that the Opens are over and I know I won't be competing at regionals (final rank: 208 in the SE sigh...) I'm going to give Conjugate Crossfit a try. I plan on following the exact template laid out in the journal article and will be starting this week. Let me know if this looks like a good general schedule for the program. Thanks

Mon-ME Lower
Tues-Metcon
Wed-OFF
Thur-ME Upper
Fri-Metcon
Sat-Metcon
Sun-OFF