CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-25-2011, 09:42 AM   #11
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Re: Crossfit and college basketball

Basketball players need to be bigger/stronger in general. I think your musings are spot on Michael...No matter what position you play, if you are stronger you have the advantage, especially in the post up game...

Basketball is a VERY physical game...if you've ever been posted up all game by someone who outweighs you by 30#, you'll feel it the next day.

Agreed they don't need to be bulky...but relative strength on the court makes a HUGE difference.

The thing for most b-ball players though is that they are taller than every other sport. There's not many 17 year olds with much mass that are 5'11" you make that kid 6'6" and you got a string bean for a few years...So sometimes it just takes time for their body to start packing on mass... some kids are blessed to be bigger, like Lebron, but most kids are going to be more like the 6'4" and skinny swing man during their high school/college years.

Durant was criticized for his size when he first came in the league, it's not like he wasn't work on it though, just probably not at the detriment of his game like Mark said.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:24 AM   #12
Todd R Miller

Profile:

Bozeman to Butte?

You have my thoughts and prayers

Go Cats!
Old 04-25-2011, 11:10 AM   #13
John Kaupp

Profile:

Anthony, sent you a message.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:02 PM   #14
Mark Boyle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Henry View Post
I guess bulking up was a poor choice of words. Just get stronger, the simplest way you can, at least to start. Continue to work on skills, ball handling, shooting, lateral quickness, applying the new found strength, etc. And like I mentioned gains will be limited by the things that you have to do to be a basketball player, but some guys may bulk up as a result.
I do think that getting stronger is generally accepted as important for basketball however it does seem to be a few years behind compared to football.

Also, as you implied earlier, I don't think it is as ingrained as it is for football.

My guess as to why is that basketball (like a QB in football) is a very high skill sport. There are many HOF basketball players (Larry Bird, Reggie Miller, Kareem etc. more recently Durrant) who would have been great regardless of how seriously they strength trained due to their incredible skill level. IMO the same is true for a lot of QBs, but not really true at most other positions and as a result, you don't see a lot of Tim Tebow like physiques at the QB position.

That's not to say it wouldn't have made them better and/or extended their careers, just that a lot of basketball players can be pretty good without serious strength training... and therefore don't have the same motivation to put in the work or would rather spend the time on skill development.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #15
Anthony Trudnowski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Slate View Post
One thing about Montana Tech...the student-athletes are exactly that...Students and Athletes. It's a top-notch premier engineering university and the athletes are no different than the regular students who came to study mining, geology, petroleum, etc.

That's one of the things I respect most about Tech is that they achieve a great level of athletic success in a conference where no other schools come anywhere close to the level of academic rigor found in Butte.

Go Diggers..!!
That's the truth It's always great to hear from another oredigger!
Old 04-25-2011, 03:16 PM   #16
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Boyle View Post
I do think that getting stronger is generally accepted as important for basketball however it does seem to be a few years behind compared to football.

Also, as you implied earlier, I don't think it is as ingrained as it is for football.

My guess as to why is that basketball (like a QB in football) is a very high skill sport. There are many HOF basketball players (Larry Bird, Reggie Miller, Kareem etc. more recently Durrant) who would have been great regardless of how seriously they strength trained due to their incredible skill level. IMO the same is true for a lot of QBs, but not really true at most other positions and as a result, you don't see a lot of Tim Tebow like physiques at the QB position.

That's not to say it wouldn't have made them better and/or extended their careers, just that a lot of basketball players can be pretty good without serious strength training... and therefore don't have the same motivation to put in the work or would rather spend the time on skill development.
Agreed basketball is a very high skill dominated sport. I tried to explain that in another thread a little bit ago, but you said it nicely.