CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-16-2006, 08:02 PM   #11
Steve Liberati

Profile:
The paradox is that the entire system is STUCK.

Your college professor is going to want to keep the tradition going because no one wants to be the first to end it.

And no student wants to risk a grade by breaking the system.

BUT if no one is willing to challenge the old system like Coach Glassman did to the old bodybuilding protocol, then we as humans are faced with a system filled with an inefficient, annoying, time-consuming, wasteful and yes, even stupid ideas.

So I say challenge the old way and attempt to break the system. Coach did, and look what the end result was...CrossFit!!!!!
Old 03-16-2006, 08:28 PM   #12
Neal Winkler

Profile:
I was just working on my presentation of the paleo diet that I will be giving in a couple of weeks for a class I have on obesity. I wonder how everyone will take it...
Old 03-16-2006, 11:24 PM   #13
Rene Renteria

Profile:
"Experts" with PhDs

If she's a chemist or biochemist, there's no reason she'd be an expert in human metabolism and digestion of nutrients. It may be that she's trying to make the class more "interesting" by adding what she thinks are relevant facts. These could easily be "facts" that she's picked up from the media or popular culture.

Why not go into office hours and ask her about it? Maybe tell her that what you know of nutrition operates much differently than what she's saying, give a couple of examples. The basic idea of regulating insulin by what you eat, such as preventing spikes to allow energy storage mobilization and to prevent that "pasta crash" that we have experienced, seems to make much sense. It's a powerful story. You might be able to give her some new, correct examples to use. She might not know what "glycemic index" is.

A biochemist would be very familiar with things that look like insulin curves and blood glucose levels, so that could draw her into your story.

If she's a researcher, look up her publications in PubMed to see what she works on, read a couple of abstracts, then maybe you could have a question about something that she IS an expert in as a backup.

OK, that sounds like some work! You could just remind her in class that our blood isn't at room temperature...

I don't think I would mention that eating two sticks of butter a day thing of yours!

Best,
Rene'
Old 03-17-2006, 07:04 AM   #14
Mark Gebhard

Profile:
Thank you, Rene. I was thinking the exact same thing while reading the above responses.

Everyone likes to jump out and voice their indignation at the experts and feel superior, but you're attacking the wrong person. It's a biochemistry class, not a nutrition class, and the requirement for teaching one would usually be a PhD in biochemistry or even chemistry. Unless there's a specific interest, that would not involve a study of nutrition.

What this does show is how warped the layperson's understanding of nutrition is (and this professor is a layperson in nutrition).
Old 03-17-2006, 07:57 AM   #15
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Yes... PhD's are just people.

If you are patient, you will also meet some amazing ones. My nutrition profession started our first leture with a sentence that went something like this, "All you vegetarians that tell me I'm going to hell for eating a steak my mother made for me, can come up here right now and I'll break your fingers. If your dear mom takes the time and money to make you a steak, or a nice apple pie... eat it....." It was a long time ago, but it was something along those lines, and the language was that colorful.

Dr. Saltman diet in 1999 with cancer. I miss him!

Brad
Old 03-17-2006, 08:53 AM   #16
Petr Ruzicka

Profile:
I mostly gave up telling my opinion on nutrition to other people. Even relatives and friends, mostly want to convinced me that what I do (eat) is wrong and it has dissadvantages (time preparing food, meat/vegetable is more pricey that cheap pasta, diary and bread blablabla). They do not want to hear that what they do could be wrong. Or they just don't care.
So when my father-in-law talks about advantages of milk or grains I just smile (very silently) and say nothing at all. I have my version of truth, they have sadly other truth.
I tried to, well, help to explain how it works, facts, things about evolution, pointed to different websites. It does not work.
And no it didn't help that I perform better in almost every activity we do together.
My performance is better, my skin is better, my body lokks better, I do have far more energy. It doesn't work.
So I mostly keep silent and talk about nutrition only when I'm asked :o)
I love about quote Garret gave us.