CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 02-28-2010, 10:08 AM   #1
Brandon Tullos

Profile:
BW Shoulder Press

We did the total on Friday which as everyone knows includes the shoulder press. My goal had been to get my body weight which was around 205 at the time but now i am down to about 197. So today during the total i beat my pr by 10 lbs. and pressed 195. I really hope this is one of the strength lifts at Sectionals in AL next weekend. Anyone else going to the sectionals in Huntsville this weekend?
Old 02-28-2010, 10:45 AM   #2
David Meverden

Profile:
Re: BW Shoulder Press

Nice press, Brandon! I would love to match your feat. What have you been doing to work on your press lately? I have a plan in place but I'm always curious what people are doing.

And good luck at sectionals!
Old 03-01-2010, 05:43 PM   #3
Brandon Tullos

Profile:

To be honest i think a lot of it just natural strength but we have been doing a couple of cycles of 5-3-1 strength training but also in any handstand push up workout i make sure i go head to floor and stuff like that. The said thing is my deadlift and squat are pretty low at 375 and 315 so i got to work on that some more.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:47 AM   #4
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Wow, your DL to strict press ratio is really unusual! I'm thinking many on this board can DL 375, but very few can probably press 195 strictly I bet. Anyways, props on the press, truly impressive!
Old 03-02-2010, 06:34 AM   #5
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
Wow, your DL to strict press ratio is really unusual! I'm thinking many on this board can DL 375, but very few can probably press 195 strictly I bet. Anyways, props on the press, truly impressive!
Pffft, no kidding! I would say I have a pretty low press (120 @ 170BW) and my DL is 382lb. Sheesh! I'm jealous.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:41 AM   #6
Sam Ser

Profile:

i've been seeing progress on both the deadlift and the shoulder press with just two months of a kind of 5/3/1 program. my deadlift is now a tad over 2XBW and press should hit BW this week.

to clarify, BW = about 160 pounds.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:11 AM   #7
Brandon Tullos

Profile:

I think 5/3/1 is one of the easiest and most affective programs for a Xfiter cause its easy to follow and can be done before a WOD. I think anyone that wants to improve their lifts should look into it. It's a 4 week cycle that you can do with any lift. The first week is 3X5 with roughly 75% or 1RM and on the last set you do AMRAP. The second week is 3X3 with about 80-85% of 1rm with amrap on the last set. The third week is 5 reps, 3 reps, then 1 rep going from about 80% for the 5, 85-90% for 3, and 90-95% for the 1 rep but on the 1 rep it's AMRAP again. The fourth week is deload so do a few sets of 10-15 reps with light weight. This can be done with DL, BS, and SP, or Bench. We did four days a week with those lifts and saw huge improvements with just 2 cycles, so 8 weeks. Most people added 40-60 lbs to their total. I went from 845-885.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:15 AM   #8
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Tullos View Post
I think 5/3/1 is one of the easiest and most affective programs for a Xfiter cause its easy to follow and can be done before a WOD. I think anyone that wants to improve their lifts should look into it. It's a 4 week cycle that you can do with any lift. The first week is 3X5 with roughly 75% or 1RM and on the last set you do AMRAP. The second week is 3X3 with about 80-85% of 1rm with amrap on the last set. The third week is 5 reps, 3 reps, then 1 rep going from about 80% for the 5, 85-90% for 3, and 90-95% for the 1 rep but on the 1 rep it's AMRAP again. The fourth week is deload so do a few sets of 10-15 reps with light weight. This can be done with DL, BS, and SP, or Bench. We did four days a week with those lifts and saw huge improvements with just 2 cycles, so 8 weeks. Most people added 40-60 lbs to their total. I went from 845-885.
Cool, man! I'm on a CF 5/3/1 myself right now. So far so good. I'll be curious to see how a CFT goes after a couple of cycles. I'll be sure to report my results when I get them.