CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-13-2009, 04:05 PM   #31
christopher brooks

Profile:
Re: Oatmeal?

I'm going to have to take a look at "Enter the Zone" when I get home tonight, but I recall steal cut (not instant) oatmeal being fine as far as the Zone diet is concerned.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:51 PM   #32
Desiree Doucet

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Dixon View Post
I'm going to have to take a look at "Enter the Zone" when I get home tonight, but I recall steal cut (not instant) oatmeal being fine as far as the Zone diet is concerned.
Andrew -

I believe Steel Cut oats are listed as "slow cooking oats" on the zone diet and I believe they are on the recommended list of carbs. I know that folks who are die hard paleo don't approve of any grain.

From what I've read, following the zone is usually the first step to getting your diet in line and then people tailor it down to paleo foods in zone proportions for the better results and then tweak it as needed for their body/chemistry. I've been zoning for a few months and I'm happy with the diet. I know that some of my meals could use some improvement and I really want to give paleo a try. Who knows, it could have me chanting "no grains" in a few months as well...

Desi
Old 11-14-2009, 05:05 PM   #33
Scott Clark

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
Leonid...check out Darryl's other posts. You're fighting a losing battle. He's going to throw study after study at you...don't get sucked in
Studies carried out by real scientists and real doctors trumps opinions by bloggers and personal trainers.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:31 AM   #34
Clay Jones

Profile:

Quote:
I DO think it's a bad thing when every single worthwhile thread in the nutrition forum stops being an intelligent discussion of ideas and devolves into a battle of the scientific studies.
Which is why I have a love-hate relationship with this forum in particular.

Anyway, I'm as paleo as they come, and I do occasionally eat oatmeal-- either steel cut or Scottish style (if it's not Scottish its crap!!) which take forever to cook. I have never had an issue with oats, personally, but n=1 and all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Clark View Post
Studies carried out by real scientists and real doctors trumps opinions by bloggers and personal trainers.
What if the doctor is also a blogger??
Old 11-15-2009, 06:20 AM   #35
Beck Randelin

Profile:

Hey Casey -- great digging! I'd given up on these nutrition threads cuz all I saw was what you pointed out - the standard answer was "oatmeal causes infl..." and no one said why or how.

Looks like you've found the real answer and provided some well-rounded and much-needed balance to this radical-blinders-on statement.

I think you've made an important distinction between the average-americans highly-processed-grains diet and slow-cooking/steel cut oatmeal.

Thanks! I'll continue to enjoy my oatmeal and will continue to avoid Twinkies!
Old 11-15-2009, 06:21 AM   #36
Beck Randelin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Clark View Post
Old 11-16-2009, 09:14 AM   #37
Casey Crookston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beck Randelin View Post
Hey Casey -- great digging! I'd given up on these nutrition threads cuz all I saw was what you pointed out - the standard answer was "oatmeal causes infl..." and no one said why or how.

Looks like you've found the real answer and provided some well-rounded and much-needed balance to this radical-blinders-on statement.

I think you've made an important distinction between the average-americans highly-processed-grains diet and slow-cooking/steel cut oatmeal.

Thanks! I'll continue to enjoy my oatmeal and will continue to avoid Twinkies!

If one of the many people who have made the claim that "oatmeal causes inflammation" would like to provide some support for their claim, I would be very willing to read and consider it very carefully. In the mean time, I'm chalking it up as a "If everyone is saying it, it must be true" phenomenon.

And like you, I will continue with my Paelo diet + oatmeal once or twice a week for breakfast.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:55 AM   #38
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Crookston View Post
If one of the many people who have made the claim that "oatmeal causes inflammation" would like to provide some support for their claim, I would be very willing to read and consider it very carefully. In the mean time, I'm chalking it up as a "If everyone is saying it, it must be true" phenomenon.

And like you, I will continue with my Paelo diet + oatmeal once or twice a week for breakfast.
Casey, i think you're overcomplicating:

grains cause inflammation. oatmeal is a grain. many folks on here have eliminated oatmeal from their diet because of the potential for it to cause inflammation.

The studies you cited (i didn't read them as carefully as you did) looked to be from FDA approved/Big Agra-funded type sources, and are probably also supporting low fat/high grain conventional diet wisdom.

However, while oatmeal is a non-gluten grain...it has similar proteins and those allergic to wheat can also have problems with oats. If oatmeal works for you, keep eating it. you could make worse choices.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:47 AM   #39
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
No, he is using reason. When someone tells you if you do "Y" then "X" will happen then it makes sense to ask for the proof of "Y" causing "X". This is over complicating it is others over simplifying.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:48 AM   #40
Casey Crookston

Profile:

Quote:

grains cause inflammation. oatmeal is a grain. many folks on here have eliminated oatmeal from their diet because of the potential for it to cause inflammation.

The studies you cited (i didn't read them as carefully as you did) looked to be from FDA approved/Big Agra-funded type sources, and are probably also supporting low fat/high grain conventional diet wisdom.

However, while oatmeal is a non-gluten grain...it has similar proteins and those allergic to wheat can also have problems with oats. If oatmeal works for you, keep eating it. you could make worse choices.
Fair enough.

I suppose I'm just responding to the many threads I read in which people asked "Is oatmeal okay to eat for breakfast?" with generic replies of "No, because it causes inflammation."

That seems like a rather shallow answer. I understand that a die-hard Paleo diet excludes ALL grains, and thus oatmeal. But from what I've read, including the two sources you pointed out to me, if a die-hard Paleo diet is not what you exactly want, then oatmeal can be a very healthy and beneficial breakfast food, and the risk of inflammation might be far outweighed by the benefits.

Again, from what little I read, it does seems that the risk of inflammation from processed grains (such as what's found in chips, twinkies, white bread, etc) is real. But the risk from whole wheat is less, and the risk from whole oatmeal even less.

So, to blanket-tell everyone things like, "you should not eat oatmeal because it will make your knees swell to the size of basketballs" (etc) seems... well... wrong.

Last edited by Casey Crookston : 11-16-2009 at 10:53 AM.