CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-14-2009, 08:23 PM   #31
Kulsoom Ahmed

Profile:
Re: Steve Gibson's follow-up on Vitamin D

I could not find the papers I had from my physical exam from about one year ago, but I remember that based on whatever the level my Vitamin D was, the doctor thought it was too low. She suggested I take 1500-2000 IU per day, plus about 300mg of Magnesium.

At the time, I only knew of a few websites that sold Vitamins, and did not know about this product you guys are using (1 pill with 5000 IU is awesome). So I had an OsCal pill (400IU D), another pill that had 200IU D and 250mg Magnesium. That plus a multivitamin (800IU D and 100mg Magnesium) barely covered the suggested Vitamin D requirement. She told me to do that and get tested later, but I never did and I got lazy taking all those pills and have only been taking/drinking fish oil.

I also do not get much sun exposure. It gets very hot here, and because of that I do not go outside much in the summer.

I think with the information you all provided (raising the level in the blood plus flu season) I will go ahead and try 10000 IU, see how the test goes in my next physical and taper down to 5000IU.

Thanks
Old 11-13-2009, 08:31 PM   #32
Steven Low

Profile:

Bringing this one back from the dead.

http://12078.net/grcnews/article.php...uritynow#16994
wfs

Steve Gibson reupdated and he leveled off with 10,000 IU per day around ~60 ng/mL which is pretty good level to be at.

I have personally had 'crappier' sleep since leveling off to 5,000 IU per day. I may go back on 10,000 IU and see if my sleep is better. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:15 AM   #33
Samantha Aurelio

Profile:

what's the conversion between ug and iu...? all the vitamin D here is 4 capsules = 10 ug and I get very confused... ahhhh Europe confuses me a lot
Old 11-14-2009, 09:20 AM   #34
Steven Low

Profile:

There is no conversion because everyone is different really.

IU = international units

ng = nanograms usually measured in the blood as nanograms per milliliter (ng/mL)

For most people somewhere between probably 2000-10000 IU per day will bring up levels to "normal" which is 50-80 ng/mL.

I've been doing the reading and some people easily get up to 50 ng/mL with very low amounts like 1000-2000 IU... Steve obviously is one case where he needs about 10,000 IU to get up to 60 ng/mL.

I'll see how I feel on 10,000 IU per day, and if I don't have any signs of toxicity I'll probably stay there if it makes me feel and sleep better.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:26 AM   #35
Clay Jones

Profile:

Thanks for the update, Steven. I have been supplementing with around 10,000 IU per day for the past month, and have noticed the difference. I don't think I have ever felt/been this healthy during flu/cold season. I'm also back using fish oil and cod liver oil, so that probably helps also. As does eating paleo . . . .

I'm probably going to drop down to 5,000 IU and see how that works.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:47 AM   #36
Samantha Aurelio

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
There is no conversion because everyone is different really.

IU = international units

ng = nanograms usually measured in the blood as nanograms per milliliter (ng/mL)

For most people somewhere between probably 2000-10000 IU per day will bring up levels to "normal" which is 50-80 ng/mL.

I've been doing the reading and some people easily get up to 50 ng/mL with very low amounts like 1000-2000 IU... Steve obviously is one case where he needs about 10,000 IU to get up to 60 ng/mL.

I'll see how I feel on 10,000 IU per day, and if I don't have any signs of toxicity I'll probably stay there if it makes me feel and sleep better.
oooooooooooooooooooo... ok. well then i'll be hoppin' up on 60 ng/mL a day, get back to you in a few weeks!
Old 11-14-2009, 01:12 PM   #37
Randy Hill

Profile:

Steve, any experience with the Swine Flu or the vaccine? I'm still on 10,000IUs/day and I got the H1N1 vaccine 3 days ago. The first 2 days after I felt fine, then I felt like crap for a short period yesterday. Just got done squatting and I think that's what cured it, since once you get below parallel, heavy squats will cure any disease.

..But I must attribute some of it to the Vitamin D.

I have about 1 week left at this dose before I cut back to 5,000 IU.

Also, I know you wrote that if you drink a lot of milk, Vit-D supplementation probably isn't necessary - am I right or did I misread that? I plan on starting GOMAD when I get back to the states and am not sure if I should still be taking 5kIUs.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:03 PM   #38
Moran Bentzur

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha Aurelio View Post
oooooooooooooooooooo... ok. well then i'll be hoppin' up on 60 ng/mL a day, get back to you in a few weeks!
You guys are confusing each other.
let me try to fix it:

- Blood levels of vitmain D are measured in ng/mL or nmol/L (nmol/L = ng/mL x2.5)
- Vitamin D doses are given in either IU (International Units) or micrograms (ug = IU/40). So 10,000 IU = 250 micrograms.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:08 PM   #39
Warren Matthews

Profile:

Wasn't sure if I should post a seperate thread on this.

Anyone noticed any physical changes from taking D3? I don't have a scale at the moment, so I can't say its weight, but my pants are a lot tighter in the waist, to where I have to change something or I literally will have no clothes to wear.

I should point out that I have recently jumped on the WODs a lot more regularly that I had been. So there could be some other things, but I thought I'd ask since I did just start taking D3 right before noticing my clothes fitting differently.

Only thing about D3 and weight is its supposed to help with weight loss. So far I know something has changed...not for the better, clothes wise
Old 11-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #40
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Just finished up my article on Vit D today. If you guys didn't know about the benefits of supplementing if you're deficient.... I would strongly suggest reading this.

wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/1...-at-vitamin-d/
Thanks, Steven. That is a great overview. I haven't had my blood levels tested, but I wouldn't doubt that I am deficient. I've been supplementing with fish oil but nothing else. And, I hit my first winter in a cold climate last year for the first time in 6 years. (2/3 of my life spent in Phoenix and Miami). I forgot that I ALWAYS had seasonal depression when I lived in North Carolina before. I need to get on Vitamin D right away.