CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-14-2009, 01:33 AM   #21
Steven Holm

Profile:
Re: Is Crossfit Mainpage dead?

I feel th CF mainpage is great for strong athletes. If you do not already have a good strength base, then it will favor other domains, and leave behind the important domains. They never claimed it was the best all around program for everyone. It is supposed to forge elite fitness. Nobody ever ever became elite in 1 yr. A strong advanced athlete could achieve elite while on CF if programmed right. Too many weak fools are doing cf and wondering why they are still weak from only doing 95 lb. thrusters
Old 11-14-2009, 01:35 AM   #22
Steven Holm

Profile:

I feel th CF mainpage is great for strong athletes. If you do not already have a good strength base, then it will favor other domains, and leave behind the important domains. They never claimed it was the best all around program for everyone. It is supposed to forge elite fitness. Nobody ever ever became elite in 1 yr. A strong advanced athlete could achieve elite while on CF if programmed right. Too many weak fools are doing cf and wondering why they are still weak from only doing 95 lb. thrusters and 135lb cleans for a year. People need to lift heavy, often, until advanced (at least intermediate), AND hit crazy metcon to achieve these crazy goals.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:16 AM   #23
Tom Seryak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Holm View Post
I feel th CF mainpage is great for strong athletes. If you do not already have a good strength base, then it will favor other domains, and leave behind the important domains. They never claimed it was the best all around program for everyone. It is supposed to forge elite fitness. Nobody ever ever became elite in 1 yr. A strong advanced athlete could achieve elite while on CF if programmed right. Too many weak fools are doing cf and wondering why they are still weak from only doing 95 lb. thrusters and 135lb cleans for a year. People need to lift heavy, often, until advanced (at least intermediate), AND hit crazy metcon to achieve these crazy goals.
although this didn't really answer the question, I totally agree.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:12 AM   #24
Clay Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post

Do any legitimate athletes still follow the mainpage?
In a word, yes.

Tho I would remove the word "legitimate", as what is "legit" seems to vary from individual to individual.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:22 AM   #25
Greg Privitera

Profile:

CrossFit is an idea, not a training protocol.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:02 PM   #26
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Oleander View Post
he defined it pretty preciously, legitimate athlete = a badass
I think the word you were going for was "precisely". I mean how much clearer could I be...

Last edited by Brian Lawyer : 11-14-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:27 PM   #27
Randy Hill

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Holm View Post
I feel th CF mainpage is great for strong athletes. If you do not already have a good strength base, then it will favor other domains, and leave behind the important domains. They never claimed it was the best all around program for everyone. It is supposed to forge elite fitness. Nobody ever ever became elite in 1 yr. A strong advanced athlete could achieve elite while on CF if programmed right. Too many weak fools are doing cf and wondering why they are still weak from only doing 95 lb. thrusters
^This. Took me a while to realize it myself.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:29 PM   #28
Michael Henry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Privitera View Post
CrossFit is an idea, not a training protocol.
+1 to this
Old 11-14-2009, 12:34 PM   #29
Jeff Chalfant

Profile:

The mainpage is a great program for 3 on 1 off. Very few people can/will follow that so I program my affiliates wod's differently. It's also a great program for reveal g weaknesses but to really dial onself in you need to take that information and learn from it. I personally think most people would do well to "practice and train the major lifts, regularly play new sports, and master the basics of gymnastics" in addition to the wod.

I do a skill/strength wod in the morning and metcon if any in the evening because of what themainpage wod's have taught me about my abilities and limitations
Old 11-15-2009, 01:13 PM   #30
J. Thomas Boss

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post
So what is your opinion...
As the principles of CF propogate with each sold-out Level 1 certication, I think the relevancy of the CF Mainpage will diminish proportionally. How can I say such a dastardly thing? Because, although there are over 1,500 affiliates and 30,000 CF Journal subscribers, the number of posted daily WOD times "as RXed" on the Mainpage have stagnated. When you subtract the "Whee!"-type postings, there are far less than 500 on a WOD day. The posted WODs are for elite CF athletes, but the biggest slice by far of revenue generated by HQ CF and affiliates are by everyday people who can't even come close to doing an RXed WOD. Despite the great efforts by Brand X to provide scaled WODs, how many people have access to the equipment required to do those? Not many at all.

In the latest edition of Marine Corps Times, there's an interesting story about how a few Marines have created Hero WODs named after distinguished Marines spanning from the birth of the Corps to modern-day conflicts. High-level leadership is impressed by these WODs, so they may proliferate throughout the Corps. However, here's the kicker: no bumper plates or C2 rowers are needed. Basically, Marines have applied CF principles to workouts that use everyday, no-maintenance equipment. I think that's what (a rough estimate) the vast majority of CFers are already doing, and this is how the movement will continue to grow.

Herein lies the conundrum: As CF principles increase in popularity throughout the fitness industry, Greg Glassman will become less "Coach" and more "Founder." The CF Journal articles are more for publicity than learning (compare them to the material written from 2002 to 2006, except for Kelly Starrett's videos) and the WODs are just getting ridiculous. As the old saying goes, "chicks dig the long ball" and people gawk over firebreather WMVs. If affiliates try to do nothing but posted WODs, they won't have any clients. If HQ CF stops marketing firebreathers (and the idea that everybody can be one or needs to be one) as the face of CF, the revenue will drop dramatically. The rest of us are already fending for ourselves; that won't stop anytime soon.

To me, the Mainpage is entertaining but irrelevant. It doesn't do anything for me whatsoever in my pursuit of increased work capacity.