CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-10-2009, 10:02 AM   #441
Karin Jonczak

Profile:
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Kyle Smith View Post
quick question that I haven't seen/found answered yet:

on deadlift, I can handle a considerable amount more with a mixed grip than I can using the hook grip. I've also read that the hook is a more "preferred" grip since it translates well into heavier loads on lifts like the clean and snatch. when I start my CFSB cycle, should I use the hook grip and go lighter on the weight to build that up or should I stick with the mixed grip and go for the big weights? or maybe a compromise, use the mixed grip for the ME and use the hook grip on the high rep sets?
why not train your hook?

its what you need to clean and snatch...

its all I use (heavy or not).
Old 07-11-2009, 09:00 AM   #442
Marcus Allen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Kyle Smith View Post
quick question that I haven't seen/found answered yet:

on deadlift, I can handle a considerable amount more with a mixed grip than I can using the hook grip. I've also read that the hook is a more "preferred" grip since it translates well into heavier loads on lifts like the clean and snatch. when I start my CFSB cycle, should I use the hook grip and go lighter on the weight to build that up or should I stick with the mixed grip and go for the big weights? or maybe a compromise, use the mixed grip for the ME and use the hook grip on the high rep sets?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Watts View Post
double over hand and hook grip are not the same thing though.

i think?!
right- hook grip notes the pinning of the thump with the other fingers. Grip had always been my limiting factor on DL. I have exceedingly small hands for a guy(watch it). I dedicated myself to getting comfortable with the hook grip and now only have to go switch on my 1 RM lifts. This I believe is more mental than anything else.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:27 AM   #443
Mark Lanza

Profile:

OK, so I read through the first 36 pages of posts and cannot bring myself to read anymore at this time. My hope is this hasn't already been asked. I finished a cycle recently and here's what I got on 1RM from my body at 69" 162 lbs -- 47 yrs old; BF at about 9%:

BS -- 295 to 330
DL -- 365 to 365*
FS -- 210 to 245
SP -- 175 TO 170*

At my age/weight, I'm not dissatisfied with the CFT, but my obvious concern is the lack of improvement in the DL and the degradation of the SP. I think I figured out the DL based upon info in the thread pertaining to working sets ( I was lifting too near my 3x and 5x limits), but the SP is ****ing me off...as it should.

So, any ideas on this? I've been doing CFSB as written -- no subs or alterations, no additions (ie BP) and I'm extremely careful to avoid going overhead with Metcons on the day(s) preceding SP. Nutrition has been 98% Zone -- 16-14-72 (yes, 72 blocks of fat) and I take 2.2 grams of EPA/DHA per day.

Signed,
Happy About BS and ****ed About SP

BTW - big thanks to Kempie and Doc Bingo...and of course Jeff too.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:39 AM   #444
Marcus Allen

Profile:

First off congrats on the BS/FS improvements. 10% increases in 6 weeks is no joke.

As for the DL and Press, could we get more info?

For instance, if your first 1RM of DL was 365, where did you start your work sets at 6 weeks ago? If you started too close and were unable to progress, then you might try starting at a lower weight.

This goes for the press as well. Many here have found that the press is the slowest to progress and needs the smallest jumps in weight.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:47 PM   #445
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lanza View Post
BS -- 295 to 330
DL -- 365 to 365*
FS -- 210 to 245
SP -- 175 TO 170*

At my age/weight, I'm not dissatisfied with the CFT, but my obvious concern is the lack of improvement in the DL and the degradation of the SP. I think I figured out the DL based upon info in the thread pertaining to working sets ( I was lifting too near my 3x and 5x limits), but the SP is ****ing me off...as it should.
When you started the CFSB cycle, did you cut out a gymnastics routine or warm-up? Fewer handstand push-ups every week? Less time spent on the rings? Fewer pull-ups? Clearly your legs got stronger, so even if your upper body stagnated then you would probably see a slightly higher deadlift. Maybe you had a bad day. Or maybe the shoulder press component of CFSB is not enough to keep upper body strength standards. The creators admitted that the shoulder press was their strength going in, so they focused on the squats and deadlifts. Try this out - I created a thread proposing certain minimum standards in gymnastics and olympic lifting before beginning the WOD for those who don't want to scale. Don't neglect those gymnastic movements, even if you're on a CFSB schedule! Here's that thread (work and family safe:

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?p=622620
Old 07-11-2009, 05:00 PM   #446
Mark Lanza

Profile:

Marcus -- thanks for the reply. That's exactly what I was doing with the DL --> first and second sets were too close the the PR set the prior week. In a very early post, Kempie spelled this out but, unfortunately, I read the post only last night. I had backed off the SP working sets (by happenstance) 3 x 135; 3 x 145 and then an attempt at a PR. Maybe I should back these off even more.

Andrew -- thank you too for the reply. I'm able to do the movements you listed in your link, some quite a bit better than the minimums (HSPU, kipping pulls, L-sit, squat cleans, snatch)...and another just barely above minimum (parallette HSPU F.R.O.M. x 2). Surprised? Not really, since my SP 1RM is 175 and BWt is 162. I rarely use parallettes, however, because it cause me to place my hands further apart than I like --> seems like I work the triceps more than the shoulders.
In terms of actually doing these, I try to incorporate L-pullups, power cleans, HSPU's and kipping pulls into my metcons each week. This wasn't intentional, I just like doing them. I sometimes do handstand holds for 1 min at a time x5 following a workout, but have not done this since starting CFSB.

Perhaps dense, I'm not certain what you're getting at here. Are you saying I should do more of these movements...maybe less of them? I will say that HSPU's are typically incorporated on DL day to avoid conflict with SP day.

Thanks Again Guys,
M
Old 07-11-2009, 05:55 PM   #447
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Mark, my theory regarding your shoulder press clearly went out the window - you did enough work to at least maintain your strength in that regard. Perhaps Bingo, Jeff, et al have more to add in your situation - they're the most familiar with CFSB results and they all plenty of experience with shoulder presses.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:27 PM   #448
Mark Lanza

Profile:

And all three musketeers are in Aromas! Hahaha...thanks for the help, Andrew. I'm planning on starting another cycle tomorrow after 3 weeks of primarily MP Wods.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:55 AM   #449
Alex McRobie

Profile:

I am reasonably new to cf and my strength is lacking so much that i cant do most of the WODs as RXd.

I have been looking at ME black box and have recently started, was just wondering how long i SHOULD be recovering between sets.
and for the exercises is it advisable to throw in oly lifting and that?

cheers
Old 07-13-2009, 09:41 AM   #450
Mark Lanza

Profile:

Alex,

This has been discussed numerous times in this thread. Why not take an hour and sift through the posts? You're bound to find answers to questions you haven't even thought of yet.